PDA

View Full Version : Are there proximity exemptions for sporting events

LOZZ
19th Apr 2013, 14:45
Was speaking with a chap yesterday who competed in the Marathon des Sables the other week. Helicopters came into the conversation and he became quite agitated about the proximity that they filmed him at whilst he was running, with skids only a few feet from his head apparently at one point. His view was that once out in the desert they can probably do what they like. I was wondering whether at some of these sporting events the organiser can sneak in special dispensation into the T&Cs of the race entry allowing this from the entrants perspective, or whether it might be that Morocco has more lax rules around Rule 5. Or maybe the pilots have special dispensation from the equivalent of the CAA there. Presume the same is not allowed in the UK. Curious to learn more from those in the know either way.

OX1A3103.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/junglemoonimages/5615970068/lightbox/)

Photograph for illustrative purposes only, cant get it to display in the forum only the link.

timprice
19th Apr 2013, 16:23
Different Country, different rules:rolleyes:

misterbonkers
19th Apr 2013, 16:44
Sounds like he should be grateful they didn't clip him round the ear...

Savoia
20th Apr 2013, 10:31
But just how close .. is too close! ;)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YsLQuFT0nNk/UXJuA8ym3JI/AAAAAAAAND4/HCX_Dz-V_j4/s801/low+level+ecureuil.png

ShyTorque
20th Apr 2013, 11:24
Certainly in UK an operator can apply for easements from the 1000 foot and the 500 foot rule. However, the permission will come with conditions attached and will specify the minimum separation to be used.

An ex-colleague of mine was investigated by the CAA because it was alleged he had broken the 500 foot rule. The evidence was some footage showing him filming a boat race. CAA enforcement reps turned up at his workplace to interview him. He admitted to flying closer than 500 feet to the boats but was able to produce the CAA permission to do so. It seems that the various offices within the Belgrano don't communicate as well as they might and on this occasion, not having done their homework, they left with their tails between their legs!

misterbonkers
20th Apr 2013, 12:40
I once got my collar felt for flying closer than 60m to a cameraman on a film job as part of a stunt. The exemption in place allowed us to fly up to 60m. When I politely pointed out that I had landed next to the cameraman (circa 20m) the Ops Inspector soon went quiet once the penny dropped...

As a film pilot you need to know the regs, the rules (especially Rule 5&6 in the UK) along with the exemptions you have at your disposal.