PDA

View Full Version : Norway - air pollution

G&T ice n slice
19th Apr 2013, 11:54
I noticed that during the recent cold spell I kept getting a slight sore throat whenever the wind was coming out of the area between NNE and ENE.

I am convinced this is caused by Norway's pollution, what with their sustainable fishing, low-carbon-economy, hydroelectricty, triple-glazing windows, sensible low-emission vehicles and related sensible lower-speed-lower-emission speed restrictions, green building regs etc etc etc.

I think the sore throats were caused by the great clouds of smug being blown over the north sea.

Time for serious economic sanctions to be imposed to stop all this.

I'm suggesting that an immediate embargo should be placed on Linje Aquavits being returned from Australia.

That'll fix them!

[[ and just for those with a lack of sense of humour, heres a smiley :-) ]]

Windy Militant
19th Apr 2013, 12:31
Depends which bit of Cumbria your in, It may be caused by the plume of smoke from the cheap bootleg gaspers that the denizens of Newcastle seem to be turning to these days. From what I've heard there's some rum stuff finding it's way to where the Baccy should be! :uhoh:

Ancient Mariner
19th Apr 2013, 17:33
GT etc, thank you for your concern, warms the heart of this old Viking.
Per

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Apr 2013, 18:18
And of course the UK does so much to help the trees in Norway....

British acid rain helps our trees, says Norway - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/1403483/British-acid-rain-helps-our-trees-says-Norway.html)

Juud
19th Apr 2013, 18:32
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/Juud81/64155dbb-499f-4542-8f09-e8efa299f20e_zpsf22de4b1.jpg

G&T you are welcome to our capitalīs inversion anytime. :ok:

Any time at all.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/Juud81/2f995b1b-9efd-4220-984c-6e7fa3e96001_zps5d45c1f0.jpg

G&T ice n slice
19th Apr 2013, 21:28
And of course the UK does so much to help the trees in Norway....

British acid rain helps our trees, says Norway - Telegraph

You mean we're sending them this FOR FREE ???

Dang! no wonder we're in the clagg economically, when one of our best exports isn't being properly invoiced.

Re the pictures - that looks worse than LA ! and here am I making a joke about pollution that turns out not to be a joke.

How have you chaps managed to do that?

Milo Minderbinder
19th Apr 2013, 22:10
Cumbria? East wind? Surely coal dust from the import wharves at Teesport?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Apr 2013, 22:15
It's just Mackems farting

KAG
20th Apr 2013, 06:54
Green, but selling other countries oil itself producing pollution...

Cynism and economy logic put together...

Erwin Schroedinger
20th Apr 2013, 07:54
I fail to understand how any air pollution could reach any meaningful distance into Cumbria.

The constant rain would wash it all out.

Sallyann1234
20th Apr 2013, 08:42
Living in Cumbria I'd be more worried about other forms of fallout.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2013, 09:58
Judging by the cost of everything I am amazed that Norwegians can afford anything at all (least of all smugness)!

Still it seems a great place to live despite the lack of carcinogens. ;)

Caco

G&T ice n slice
20th Apr 2013, 14:19
I fail to understand how any air pollution could reach any meaningful distance into Cumbria.

The constant rain would wash it all out.

I'll have you know that there are minutes, yes! whole minutes! when there is virtually almost no rain at all!

Living in Cumbria I'd be more worried about other forms of fallout.

You mean Calder Hall, ooops sorry Windscales ooops sorry Sellafield. It is all perfectly safe because the government and the operators say it is safe. It's all carefully monitored and automated and absolutely nothing can go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong

Judging by the cost of everything I am amazed that Norwegians can afford anything at all

way back in the early 1970's I shared a house with, amongst the crowd, a Norwegian student on a sort of 6-month exchange in the UK. He drove over in his little opel kadette, which then just stood in the driveway for 6 months. But when he went back, there was only just about room for him in the driver's seat as every other cubic inch was filled with stuff which was so much cheaper here than there.

I'm still amazed at the smoggy fotos though..

Juud
20th Apr 2013, 16:20
Green, but selling other countries oil itself producing pollution...
Cynism and economy logic put together...
KAG, the OP is the person calling Norway is 'green'.
So check out the small print under the opening posterīs screen name.
Does it say where he/she is from?
It does, doesnt it.
Cumbria is what it says.
Hmmm.
Do you actually think that Cumbria is in Norway, KAG?
Or are you calling Norway cynical based on nothing but your own lazy assumptions?
Oh and BTW, if you want Norwegian cynicism check out arms production & sales vs positioning the country as peace brokers.

Judging by the cost of everything I am amazed that Norwegians can afford anything at all (least of all smugness)!

Really dear chap, it is not forbidden to engage brain before composing yet another valuable JB contribution. Who are the 'smug Norwegians' on this thread? :confused:

Oh and then thereīs that other thing, 'everything is soooo expensive in Norway'. Damn right it is.
You know why? Because its people have a very high standard of living, and that costs money.
But since they by and large make a sh!tload of it, prices are just fine as long as you make a Norwegian salary.
Have a read of this link (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/income/), click on the various countries and check out the different average household net-adjusted disposable incomes.
Eye-opener.

G&T, Norway is not a very green-minded country. Itīs catching up slowly to the rest of Europe now, but I was rather surprised at their environmentally indifferent attitude when I moved here in the late 80-ies.
As a friend explained at a dinner party: "We donīt need to fret about nature the way you have to down in Europe. Have you seen how much of it we have? Thatīs why you just chick your empty batteries in the garbage, and no we donīt collect paper or bottles or all that. No point in it."
That was me told. ;)

They do do all of that now, but they are still not very 'green' at heart.
As for Osloīs stinky winter air, google Oslo inversion.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2013, 16:31
"Oslo inversion"

I thought that was a bedroom position between consenting males.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2013, 16:34
Really dear chap, it is not forbidden to engage brain before composing yet another valuable JB contribution. Who are the 'smug Norwegians' on this thread? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Oh dear, another sense of humour failure from our Norway located mod.

Ah well! I have never met a smug Norwegian (apart from my grandfather) but I know an uptight post when I read one.

Caco

KAG
20th Apr 2013, 17:05
Juud: fair enough: I am not the one who won't understand somebody defending his country ;) Don't take it too personaly though, what I said is valid for most countries.
Enjoy oil benefits as long as it lasts :ok:

Juud
20th Apr 2013, 17:05
KAG :ok:

Blimey, there was a joke in your 'smug Norwegians' comment Caco?

Help me out here.

To what or whom did the joke relate?

What made it funny?

Or is it one of those "you had to be there" jokes maybe?
Or one of those "only funny when youīre p!ssed" jokes?
Or an in-crowd joke perhaps?
The kind of joke that can not be explained to a non-Norwegian non-mod possibly?

All of the above who knows, but never let it be said that you let facts get in the way of your posts. :ok:

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2013, 17:13
All of the above who knows, but never let it be said that you let facts get in the way of your posts. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

God forbid Juud. :ok:

Caco

Matari
20th Apr 2013, 17:22
Juud,

You forgot the: 'You just don't get irony' jokes. Usually directed at the 'cousins' who fail to see humour in a decidedly unfunny attempt at humour. And usually and ironically misusing 'irony' instead of a more appropriate term such as 'sarcasm'.

I've often found Norwegians to be a bit self-conflicted. Many talk piously about 'Peace, Love and Understanding' while tut-tutting other nations; then, when up in their cabins with a bottle of Aquavit at the table, talk about the 'new Norwegians' in a way that would make a Mississippian blush.

No better, no worse than anyone else. Just painfully human as we all are.

Juud
20th Apr 2013, 17:31
Matari, absolutely spot on.
(OK, I reckon we both need a large drink at this. Have we ever agreed on anything before? Ever? To your very good health Matari, cheers!)

As I was saying to KAG; while his cynicism comment was aimed at the wrong aspect of Norskie society, Norwegians are as cynical as the next bøgger.

BAMRA wake up
20th Apr 2013, 18:05
Norwegian cynicism check out arms production & sales vs positioning the country as peace brokers.

At least they're not as bad as the Swedes in that respect!

I known and worked with a few Norwegians and I couldn't say that smugness was a noticeable trait. In fact as an effective counter to it they've got this, in common with other Nordic countries:

Law of Jante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante)

G&T ice n slice
20th Apr 2013, 20:54
Sheesh...

I was only trying to amuse, using a very old long-standing tradition which is that any air pollution we have in the UK is not our fault because
(a) if the wind is from the West it's all the air pollution from Irish heavy industry
(b) if the wind is from the East it's all caused by Norwegian eco-friendly log-burners (etc)

i.e. it's a pair of completely silly excuses...

I wish I hadn't bothered, I mean I included a :-) smiley so people could tell it was meant to be slightly amusing, but, no, there's just too many people who take everything verbatim.

I used to know someone who worked for NORAD, we were always puzzled that he kept disappearing to deepest darkest africa for months at a time.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Apr 2013, 21:23
I blame KAG
He was the one who didn't understand the joke
Again

Maybe they don't do humour in China. Or France.

Cacophonix
21st Apr 2013, 00:23
Matari

You are such a girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcn-vsy8F5Q

;)

Caco