PDA

View Full Version : Mad or brave ?

SpringHeeledJack
19th Apr 2013, 11:26
I'm not sure what to say about this exploit, except that his adrenal glands must be in good order :eek:

Alexander Polli Batman Cave Flying Teaser - YouTube

SHJ

cattletruck
19th Apr 2013, 11:54
Mad. He should take up knitting instead as he'll be good at threading the needle. The adrenalin high although not as acute lasts longer too.

It does look impressive though, glad it worked out for him. Now wait for the copy cats to start making their mark. :E

tony draper
19th Apr 2013, 12:05
Yer spectacular, but my philosophy is life throws enough slings and arrows at a person unasked,it needs no encouragement.
However if your that way inclined there are easier ways and you dont have to buy a load of special gear.:E
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/russian-roulette.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/russian-roulette.jpg.html)

Noah Zark.
19th Apr 2013, 13:34
except that his adrenal glands must be in good order

Hope his sphincter is, too!

AtomKraft
19th Apr 2013, 14:25
Noah

I'm not sure his sphincter is poo-tight.
He seems to be leaving a trail of something behind him.

El Grifo
19th Apr 2013, 15:01
Sorta watery brown !!

jimtherev
19th Apr 2013, 16:11
human chemtrail?

onetrack
20th Apr 2013, 01:45
I can just imagine this guys school report from his teenage years.

"One day, Xxxxxxx is going to leave an indelible mark on the world". :)

Of course, it could also be just a rock face.

KAG
20th Apr 2013, 04:23
This guy lives his life the way he wants, he forces himself (he is not the only one...) into originality to reach his goal.
He only has, as limits, the nature ones, not the psychologicals ones. He is more human than most of us.

Of course we don't have to do the same, but no need to look him down, us who have not the willing and the guts but try to feel superior.

One word: GREAT.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2013, 08:59
You can only thread the needle so many times before this happens!

man hits a bridge at 120mph - YouTube

Caco

DX Wombat
20th Apr 2013, 09:40
The adjective "brave" should be applied only to those acts in which the person puts his or her life on the line in order to save that of another.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Apr 2013, 09:50
Agreed. Valour for military acts. Mr Polli is audacious.

Cacophonix
20th Apr 2013, 09:51
The adjective "brave" should be applied only to those acts in which the person puts his or her life on the line in order to save that of another.

While that is a worthy thought DX I would suggest that bravery involves overcoming one's own fear and replacing inaction with action. If this happens in support of a good cause (like saving another soul) then all the better.

I had a friend with a terrible stammer who despite this impediment had a tremendous sense of humour. He was asked to make a speech at a wedding and the pain, fear and suffering he underwent prior to making that speech (a very good one by the way) marked him out as a brave man.

Some might argue that wearing the hideous embarrassment that is Lycra is an act of bravery but I would suggest other less complimentary adjectives might suffice.

Caco

onetrack
20th Apr 2013, 11:17
All those high-risk indulging, total adrenaline junkies eventually splatter themselves over something solid at high speed. The cemeteries are full of them.
They're proving very little - apart from the fact that you can take a dangerous calculated risk a couple of times - but keep on repeating it, and it won't be long before you join the Darwin Award nominees.

On the other hand, someone who has taken a dangerous calculated risk to save another human life at a time of crisis, generally merits, and generally receives, a major award.
Most people understand the difference between taking a worthwhile risk as compared to one of little benefit. I strongly suspect these regular high-risk-taking people, are just a different style of druggie. Their drug of choice is adrenalin.

gingernut
20th Apr 2013, 22:45
it beats sitting on a couch, smoking 20 fags a day, watching jeremy kyle and dying slowly.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Apr 2013, 23:11
watching jeremy kyle dying slowly.

Now that WOULD be entertainment!

Slasher
20th Apr 2013, 23:52
..If Mr Polli one day splats himself on a hill that's his business.
He's not brave - just an adrenalin junkie - and its only his own
life he endangers for absolutely nothing, and no one else's.

Here's a prime example of a d!ckhead who throws his life away
for absolutely nothing - with the usual spruke of justification
using false logic at the end...

rIP2IMaTmLM

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Apr 2013, 05:46
Gets him loads of legovers from gullible and nubile young ladies, I'm sure. Might be worth the risk. Of course it's all very Darwinian, considering the outcome of said legovers if the young lady has sprogulated or not.

At a similar age one had a pretty good time doing stuff close to those levels of risk. Wouldn't even consider it now. I believe we become more aware of our mortality as bits start crumbling, failing and falling off.

sisemen
21st Apr 2013, 07:13
I sincerely hope that O'Leary and Joyce haven't seen that vid Slash - it might give them ideas for their LoCo's.

Erwin Schroedinger
21st Apr 2013, 08:13
The opening 'Cave Flying' video wasn't what I was anticipating from the title.

I thought it was something more along a high altitude variation of cave parachuting (see video below). I sat there, buttocks clenched, thinking 'Jees, this is scary', then he peeled off and flew through a much bigger, more easily navigated hole. Buttocks duly returned to normal (well, I like to pretend they're normal).

Cave Parachuting! Wow! - YouTube

pigboat
21st Apr 2013, 13:54
What would have been the last thing on his mind had he hit the wall?

vulcanised
21st Apr 2013, 15:11
What would have been the last thing on his mind had he hit the wall?

Brickdust? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif