PDA

View Full Version : Why no float plane tour operator in Cozumel?

Grimace
17th Apr 2013, 13:00
I just got back from a scuba trip to Cozumel, which is a great little island that gets horded by horrible cruise ship tourists looking to spend money on 'adventures' while they're off the boat.

I feel like a float plane air tour company could clean up on tourists wanting to see the island and return in time for the buffet. The aircraft could moor at many of the piers local to the cruise terminals. Why hasn't anyone done this yet?!

-Grimace

Bob Lenahan
17th Apr 2013, 17:05
I don't know. Interesting question tho. Here are a few points. Mexico is a very highly taxed country. The bueorocracy (sp) is unbelivable. The government is as corrupt as they come. President Fox opened the country to new airline companies while he was president, but the next one, Calderon, shut them all down, partly to protect Mexicana Air and another new start-up owned by a, mmmm, what can I say? Know anything about TAESA? (no connection between the two). That's a start.
Bob.

Grimace
18th Apr 2013, 13:14
I had heard it is difficult to become involved in Aviation in Mexico if you are not a national... Wonder if that adds to the bureaucracy you're talking about. Hadn't heard of TAESA until today, but that sounds like it was a mess.

It is unfortunate that the country isn't more open to such ideas, I see it as something (if executed properly) that would only bring positive economic impact to the area.

Bob Lenahan
20th Apr 2013, 19:04
No to the first- MX has a law that states except for Mexicans (born here) you cannot get a MX Commercial Certificate. Without that, you cannot fly here for any MX company.

To the second- I understand, but this is MX, not the U.S., for example. Completely different here. What is important here, the reason for being, is the gov't. The people are only here to support the government. The gov't does for the gov't; the people aren't important.

Got to admit tho, great place for a vacation.
Bob.

flyingswiss
21st Apr 2013, 17:51
Making money with float planes is hard, they are very expensive to run and if kept close to the salted water they are a MX nightmare, you would be rebuilding the airplane from the ground up every 2-3 years, you need to fly a lot of hours to cover this expense.

Unfortunately there is not a market for just because it`s cool to fly a seaplane, seaplane companies stay alive if there is no other way to get places.

Running tours is not worth it, not enough money in it and too hard to compete with helicopters, you need charters to pay for your operation.

I have been in places where a seaplane would be awesome, but there are none as it makes no sense commercially. My company use to own a seaplane to run tours, even if located in most of the most amazing location in the world for seaplanes it made no sense if you need to make a living out of it.

Flyboy87
18th Mar 2014, 09:18
I'm looking at starting one in the very near future :)