PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard problem or is it me?

Lon More
17th Apr 2013, 08:20
Some time ago I started to notice lots of missing letters in my posts. As the keyboard had consumed more than its fair share of coffee, tea and wine I replaced it.
However the problem persists even when I return to using just two fingers to type.
Is it possible that there is a bug in the system or is it down to my arthritic fingers?

green granite
17th Apr 2013, 08:29
I have the same problem Lon, I think it's a liveware problem.

Saab Dastard
17th Apr 2013, 11:11
liveware problem

Solution - change user and press any key. :\

SD

green granite
17th Apr 2013, 11:25
I would if I had an 'any' key. :)

OzBob
17th Apr 2013, 11:43
I had that problem on a hard-working laptop leading up to a hard drive failure some years ago. A block of keys did not function.
The machine was used to doing a lot of grunt work, had high cpu temps and a noisy fan. It all recovered with a new drive.
Recently it started again and with not enough disk space to do a defrag, I removed a lot of data files, sufficient to enable a defrag, relieve a little bit of pressure, and heat off the machine and the keys recovered after a defrag.

lomapaseo
17th Apr 2013, 14:01
That's it, blame it on the machine when it's probably just your eyesight failing :)

Loose rivets
17th Apr 2013, 16:21
I purchased a box of Logitch flat-ish keyboards and use them wherever I am. They are not all that good at keeping out the debris.

Due to not being able to eat wheat, my afternoon tea is taken with those Oats 'n Honey fingers, and tea is an excuse to Pprune.

One day I tipped the keyboard upside down, shook it, and got enough bits out to make tea.:p

So, industrial sized shopvac with round brush to finish the job. Looked good. Just one last sweep to make perfect. Buggah! Two keys gone. You have no idea how hard it is to find two tiny flat keys in nearly full shopvac bag.

exeng
17th Apr 2013, 17:53
In my case it was fluff and dust etc blocking the fan. How the laptop worked at all was beyond me as the heatsink for the CPU showed telltale blueing on the copper - would not like to think what the temp of the CPU was.

Anyway cleaned it all up and works like a dream.

Regards
Exeng

unclenelli
17th Apr 2013, 17:58
Try one of these - I got one for my RaspPi
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-keyboard/lm/ROL4YQY54L4DZ

Other retailers are available!

OFSO
17th Apr 2013, 18:40
would not like to think what the temp of the CPU was.

Download "Core Temp", very small program, shows the core temperatures
on the toolbar. Useful in hot climates. You can also set alarms and so on.

Lon More
17th Apr 2013, 18:47
CPU is water cooled and running at 37 degrees.
Keyboard is Logitech, but is new and Iīve not spilt anything on it to date.
Itīs weird that despite going back to using jut two fingers the faults still appear.
No problems on the iPad. Maybe Mac products are superior=
Thatīs interesting . American English keyboard selected. Hit the question mark and it prints = :ugh: Any ideas=

Milo Minderbinder
17th Apr 2013, 21:52
sounds like a duff keyboard

Bushfiva
18th Apr 2013, 00:56
press alt-shift

Lon More
25th Apr 2013, 20:53
The problem seems to have :eek:solved itself. Thanks for the suggestions

lomapaseo
25th Apr 2013, 21:37
The problem seems to have http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gifsolved itself. Thanks for the suggestions

but weese gots to know which suggestion might have resolved the problem? or did you just give it a swift wack?

axefurabz
25th Apr 2013, 23:33
using jut two fingers the faults still appearNa, he just realised that he had to actually touch the keys :ok:

Lon More
26th Apr 2013, 08:15
or did you just give it a swift wack?
more coffee.

he just realised that he had to actually touch the keys
.. and using the same two fingers, pluck yew.