PDA

View Full Version : EASA CPL - valid Class 1 medical certificate required?

bravobravo74
16th Apr 2013, 18:52
I recently read a post in the Private Flying forum which implied that the holder of an EASA CPL must always be in possession of a valid Part-MED Class 1 medical certificate in order for their licence to remain valid.

This poses a question mark over the legality of a CPL holder flying privately using Class 2 privileges after their Class 1 medical has expired.

The only reference that I can find with regards to this issue is one sentence in CAP 804 which says "Part-MED stipulates that applicants for and holders of the CPL(A) shall hold a valid Class 1 medical certificate".

If it is indeed the case that a CPL holder must have a valid Class 1 medical to exercise the priviliges of their licence (ie, to fly) then you have a situation where a PPL holder can fly privately on Class 2 privileges but a CPL holder needs a higher class of medical certificate to conduct the same private flight.

Is it the case that a CPL holder cannot exercise Class 2 privileges, the date of expiry for which is printed on his expired Class 1 medical certificate? Is the date of expiry of Class 2 privileges only relevant to a PPL holder who happens to have a Class 1 medical certificate?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Fostex
17th Apr 2013, 08:22
If you hold a CPL and are flying with a class 2 medical then you can only exercise the privileges of a PPL.

2close
17th Apr 2013, 11:06
According to EU Regulation 1178/2011 Annex IV Part MED.A.030 (f), you cannot hold a CPL with a Class 2 medical.

Saying that, MED.A.030 (h) states you can only hold 1 x medical certificate and the UK CAA are issuing persons with 2 x medicals to permit them to conduct certain activities on restricted Class 1 medicals, even issuing limitations not recognised by EASA.

Mmmmmm, really worked, this EASA lark, didn't it? :rolleyes:

SECTION 2
Requirements for medical certificates
MED.A.030 Medical certificates
(a) A student pilot shall not fly solo unless that student pilot holds a medical certificate, as required for the relevant licence.
(b) Applicants for and holders of a light aircraft pilot licence (LAPL) shall hold at least an LAPL medical certificate.
(c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL), a sailplane pilot licence (SPL), or a balloon pilot licence (BPL) shall hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate.
(d) Applicants for and holders of an SPL or a BPL involved in commercial sailplane or balloon flights shall hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate.
(e) If a night rating is added to a PPL or LAPL, the licence holder shall be colour safe.
(f) Applicants for and holders of a commercial pilot licence (CPL), a multi-crew pilot licence (MPL), or an airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) shall hold a Class 1 medical certificate.
(g) If an instrument rating is added to a PPL, the licence holder shall undertake pure tone audiometry examinations in accordance with the periodicity and the standard required for Class 1 medical certificate holders.
(h) A licence holder shall not at any time hold more than one medical certificate issued in accordance with this Part.

Fostex
17th Apr 2013, 11:09
But my Class 1 also has an expiry date for Class 2 privileges as well. Thus I could let my Class 1 lapse to a Class 2 and still fly PPL providing I met the currency requirements of the PPL.

2close
17th Apr 2013, 11:24
You can have a Class 1 medical with a PPL but not a Class 2 medical with a CPL.

I would wholeheartedly agree that anyone considering professional flight training should get a Class 1 medical first, the earlier the better (as the renewal standards are less restrictive than the initial standards and it's easier to get the Clas1 before the body starts falling to bits).

But of course, the probability is that the Class 1 medical privileges would expire well before the student completed training and obtained the CPL; falling back to Class 2 privileges would allow the student to complete training with a Class 2 medical, just getting a renewal to the Class 1 for the licence application.

I think though that the spirit of the law is such that a CPL holder with a Class 1 medical which has expired (for Class 1 privileges) could exercise PPL privileges provided that the Class 1 medical was still within the Class 2 expiry date.

:)

dobbin1
17th Apr 2013, 12:01
I have an EASA CPL, issued last year on the strength of a restricted JAR Class 1 medical. When I get my next medical, I will be "demoted" to class 2, due to CVD. I am not going to hand my CPL back though. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will simply treat it as having reverted to PPL privileges only.

I will continue to do paid instruction for PPLs, but will no longer be eligible to teach for CPL or do other aerial work.

bravobravo74
17th Apr 2013, 13:37
Thanks for the replies.

Logic would suggest that if, as a CPL holder, your medical certificate stipulates the date until which you can exercise Class 2 privileges then your licence would be valid were you to fly privately. However, the following statement suggests that a CPL holder must always have a Class 1 medical to fly:

"Part-MED stipulates that applicants for and holders of the CPL(A) shall hold a valid Class 1 medical certificate".

Does 'valid Class 1 medical certificate' mean that your Class 1 privileges must be valid or that you can have a Class 1 medical certificate which is validated by the Class 2 expiration date if the Class 1 privileges have already expired?

2close
17th Apr 2013, 14:27
Oh the clear, transparent, simplicity of EASA............ :ugh:

Whoever wrote this shoi*e needs taking around the back of the building for a good shoeing!!

:*