PDA

View Full Version : Am I Grounded

Gemini-1
21st Feb 2001, 01:33
Greetings all,
At the tender age somewhere between 35 and 37
with a revamped desire to change my 15 year career from airline ground staff to airline pilot !
I can't airline sponsership as I'm to old and I get frustrated because I really want to do this.
Can anyone advise if I should invest in getting my ATPL, or is it best that I forget the idea and keep my feet firmly on the ground ? My desire is strong !
I need some mentoring advice - what do you think guys ? Is there anything out there for late starters ?

rgs
Gemini-1

------------------
Be Lucky !

Hamrah
21st Feb 2001, 04:15
Gemini-1,

No, you are certainly not grounded, but you must face up to some reality before you mortgage your house, sell your wife, put your kids into slavery.

There are a lot of low hour guys out there looking for their first job. Some as young as 20 with their frozen ATPL. Jobs can be found at that level, provided you don't set your sights too high. Many of the people I meet seem to think that they have to start with Jet, whereas there are jobs available in the air taxi and commuter world.

To start off down the road of getting your ATPL, you must be sure that you can survive three to four years with NO EARNINGS WHATSOEVER from flying.

I have met quite a number of pilots who started into flying as a second career. I've even given one or two of them jobs.

If I can be of any furthe assistance , e-mail me.

H

batty
21st Feb 2001, 12:33
Im 35 and gave up a good job and a business 18 months ago to start on the ATPL route.Depending on the route you take will depend on the cost and the length of time to achieve your goal.
I went the integrated way and it took me 14 months from scratch to where I am now,it was very hard work and my family had to back me up as I was away from home all the time ,I live in Cornwall and studied in Oxford.
I am convinced that there are jobs out there, even though I havn't found one yet!
I changed career because your only here once and I didn't want to be sitting in my armchair when Im 75 wishing I had.
To sum up,if you realy want to do it,do it! Don't underestimate the commitment required and the cost involved, or indeed expect a job as soon as you qualify. There were people at my school in their 40's your not too old .

seadog
21st Feb 2001, 21:57
I'm even older- just turned 40 and gave my job up last summer to take an upgrade course, finished in October and start with a regional airline next week.
It can be done - the only thing stopping you - is you!

Gemini-1
22nd Feb 2001, 03:17
Thank for the replies chaps !
I really have the insperation to do it !!
There are many ladders to climb first and I need to look at getting some cash somehow !I have to say that I do admire all who give up stable jobs to reach their goal well done Batty and Seadog.
No kids and the full support of my wife but how can I get that sort of finance ?
OK Hamrah I hear you, and know its gonna cost a house !( or two ) but as they say WHERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY. I will start by attending some seminars and hopfully get some more advice on this.

thanks for the uplift I feel so much more determined to make it.

Sorry to go on about the finance - I know it can be done, just a bummer of a block to pass
over for many of us late starters.

Rgs
Gemini-1

------------------
Be Lucky !

[This message has been edited by Gemini-1 (edited 22 February 2001).]