PDA

View Full Version : Mebbe of interest - New Battle of Britain film

SpinSpinSugar
26th Apr 2002, 10:53
Hi chaps, saw a feature this morning on the news about a film due out here on MAY 10th, Dark Blue World, which looks excellent.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/darkblueworld/

Basic plot synopsis seems to be following the progress of the Czech squadrons who fought for the RAF during the Battle of Britain, and the problems faced on their return to Czechoslovakia after the war.

Some fantastic aerial footage looks to be in the offing, with minimal reliance on Pearl-Harbour-Esque shiny crappy looking CGI. Apparently due to a shortage of flying Spits and ME109s for production they've gone back and uncovered lots of footage from the production of "Battle Of Britain" and cleaned it up for use in this film.

Oh, there's a sappy love triangle story in there somewhere too, but supposedly it's handled well, and I'm sure we can forgive that, this film is apparently gloriously un-Hollywood.

Cheers,
SSS (looking forward to the sound of Merlins in the cinema)

Fg Off Max Stout
26th Apr 2002, 15:41
Isn't it about time Hollywood remade "The Battle Of Britain". A magnificent battle single handedly won by the Yanks. ACM Dowding could be played by Denzel Washington, and who needs Michael Caine when you could have Leo DiCaprio as the Sqn Ldr Canfield. Don't yet know who will play his gay lover.

God Bless America!

ps (I think they might edit out any 'friendly fire' incidents.)

Must go, happy hour beckons.;)

Talking Radalt
26th Apr 2002, 18:01
What ever became of the alleged remake of The Dam Busters. Heard about it a while ago, with the RAF's most famous Gibson being played by Tinsel Town's most famous Gibson. Biggest production headache was getting round the name of THAT dog......
"It's 'Person of British citizenship but from non-white ethnic background'......he was hit by a car"

Nah, just doesn't work.
;)

STANDTO
26th Apr 2002, 18:14
Over here on fraggle rock we have an incredible film set in waiting called RAF Andreas. The said RAF moved out in the fifties and left intact a WWII fighter station. Needs a coupla million spending now but no pylons or stuff to screw up shots.

The IOM film commission would probably even paint the nearby cliffs white!

Arkroyal
30th Apr 2002, 09:19
Don't think film makers are that bothered about anachronistic (?) stuff in films anymore.

'Enigma' included rapeseed fields, concrete railway sleepers and Portcullis house (b. 2000).

Any other good film cock-ups?

jimgriff
30th Apr 2002, 10:17
In Apollo 13 the crew were wearing patches on the space suits for a company which didn't even exist in 1970!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------
Eagles may soar....but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines!

MATZ
30th Apr 2002, 10:55
Why not check out www.movie-mistakes.com

There are quite a few adds/banners etc runn9ing on this site, but it does make some interesting reading. It includes the battle of britain, A bridge to far, Saving private ryan (69 errors!) etc...

Enjoy...

The Diggler
30th Apr 2002, 11:57
Spoke to an engineer last month who has been employed as a consultant recently, looking into the viability of getting together 5+ orginal Mossy airframes and getting them back into the air for a remake of/ sequel to 633 Squadron - apparently based on a new book.

The chappy told me that the orginal script had been revised and submitted with at least two of the big Hollywood studios expressing an interest - although no money has been put on the table yet!

Can any one else bring light on this?

Nopax,thanx
30th Apr 2002, 12:32
Anyone catch the 'original' B of B on Saturday night? Still a classic, and yes, although the electric 1970's style doorbell was a bit of a goof (it was the large flat brass letterbox cover that gave it away!) the rest of the film's 'errors' could be excused as necessary (who's going to knock up a metal Spitfire replica just to destroy it?) or too small to notice. Did'ja know that Hamish Mahaddie got together the world's 35th largest air force for that film? He was probably responsible for kicking off the preservation movement of old warbirds in the U.K., IMHO.

Blacksheep
30th Apr 2002, 13:08
I'd forgive Hollywood anything, even casting the whole of 633 Squadron as All-American War Heroes, if only they could bring back five airworthy Mosquitos ...

Sigh! Aaaah DeHavilland.....

Through difficulties to the cinema

Dan Winterland
30th Apr 2002, 13:20
1995, and the Beeb were filming 'Pride and Predjudice' at Belton House which was a superb location except that it was under the Barkston Heath circuit. The RAF came to an agreement that we wouldn't use Barkston until 1400. On the only day during filming it wasn't raining, they finally got the scene where Mr D'arcy climbs out of the lake (you know - the bit that gets all the girlies moist) correct after about 10 takes, but unfortunately 30 seconds past 1400 - just as yours truly broke into the circuit :)

BEagle
30th Apr 2002, 18:31
Yup - caught the original BoB movie the other night and drooled over Susannah York in suspenders yet again! Serious factual error though - the WAAF shirt was far too long!

My OT Flt Cdr at Cranwell (back before they called it 'IOT') was lucky enough to fly in the movie - I think he did the intro barrel roll in 'France'. Also confirmed that Susannah was indeed a little honey!

Stan Moore
30th Apr 2002, 18:36
Standto.... Was that not RAF Jurby?? I'm sure I took a JP into the IOM for the 'Jurby Day Airshow' and that the runway was opened for one day only. More fun bombing the raft though!

STANDTO
30th Apr 2002, 20:34
Stan

Jurby was (and still is) the big brother of Andreas. If you came in from the East you would have flown over it. Strips are tarmac and still visible from the air. Runway position is similar to Jurby's main. no more than 5 k's apart.

Jurby is actually hosting an airshow this year on 2/3/4 July. Overall, its position means that when RON is fogbound you could still get in there, although the IOM govt hasn't had the foresight to develop it as a relief field.

They are now talking about building the new prison there which would cause an air exclusion zone.

Arkroyal
1st May 2002, 09:00
MATZ,

You are a cad and a bounder. Do you realise how much of my time that website has wasted?

Nopax,thanx
1st May 2002, 11:45
Now you're talking, BEagle.............I went to one of the first showings in Tottenham Court Road with the Air Cadets; I must have been about fourteen at the time - does that memory ever stay in the mind! Just as good this time round too - phwoarrrrrrrrrrr!