PDA

View Full Version : JAA/EASA Type Rating Expired. Starting new EASA rating?

EMB-145LR
14th Apr 2013, 19:01
I've looked through CAP804 and I can't find a definitive answer on this. I currently fly the ERJ-145 on my FAA licence. I'm current, have an ATP and a full FAA type. I have previously held JAA type ratings on a turboprop and A320. My A320 type expired in 2010, my turboprop rating in 2011.

I need to renew my JAA licence at the end of this year and have it changed over to an EASA one. If I submit it now with my licences lapsed, will I be unable to start a new EASA multi crew type rating on a new type in the future?

I am on the verge of paying to renew my A320 rating, but I would rather avoid it if I can start a new rating in the future without having to renew my current JAA types.

My head is about to explode with confusion!

zerograv
14th Apr 2013, 20:49
Welcome to the EASA scramble!!!

Apologies, but just can't refrain from being ironic with this all EASA .... (I don't want to be banned)

Not able to provide an answer to your question, but be advised that under the new rules, once a type rating has lapsed by more than 3 years, one will have to do a FULL Type Rating again, as if he never had that type rating before.

When it happens that I can spare the time, I will try to get an FAA ATP just to calm down the nerves that this EASA thing is causing on me.

I miss JAA :{

Kelly Hopper
15th Apr 2013, 04:04
I currently have no confirmation of this but I was informed 2 days ago that EASA rules have just been changed to something that resembles the FAA system whereby the rating remains "on hold" and only recurrent training is now required to get it current again.
Perhaps someone could confirm or deny this?

DeltaT
26th Jun 2013, 23:19
Hi, Can someone please make a post re the 3yr rule on Type Ratings under EASA, and where this is? Its not stated in CAP804 FCL.740

ElitePilot
27th Jun 2013, 00:32
Delta..

There are a number of standards documents (List of Flight Crew Standards Documents | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=sercat&id=22)) one of which is Doc 14 that says the recommended requirements for lapsed ratings in Appendix 4 which looks like the correct document but when you open it is titled "for single pilot".

Doc 24 is for MPA but doesn't from what I can see list these requirements but the TRTO's i have worked with reflect the requirements from Doc 14.

OPEN DES
27th Jun 2013, 02:14
Hi guys, Its in the AMC of Part FCL. Strictly speaking its in the hands of the ATO and it´s a recommendation only, so you could get away with less if appropriate. However good luck trying to defend your case on a subsequent inspection of the ATO.

AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1) Validity and renewal of class and type ratings
RENEWAL OF CLASS AND TYPE RATINGS: REFRESHER TRAINING
(a) Paragraph (b)(1) of FCL.740 determines that if a class or type rating has lapsed, the applicant shall take refresher training at an ATO. The objective of the training is to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant type or class of aircraft. The amount of refresher training needed should be determined on a case-by-case basis by the ATO, taking into account the following factors:
(1) the experience of the applicant. To determine this, the ATO should evaluate the pilot’s log book, and, if necessary, conduct a test in an FSTD;
(2) the complexity of the aircraft;
(3) the amount of time lapsed since the expiry of the validity period of the rating. The amount of training needed to reach the desired level of proficiency should increase with the time lapsed. In some cases, after evaluating the pilot, and when the time lapsed is very limited (less than 3 months), the ATO may even determine that no further refresher training is necessary. When determining the needs of the pilot, the following items can be taken into consideration:
(i) expiry shorter than 3 months: no supplementary requirements;
(ii) expiry longer than 3 months but shorter than 1 year: a minimum of two training sessions;
(iii) expiry longer than 1 year but shorter than 3 years: a minimum of three training sessions in which the most important malfunctions in the available systems are covered;
(iv) expiry longer than 3 years: the applicant should again undergo the training required for the initial issue of the rating or, in case of helicopter, the training required for the ‘additional type issue’, according to other valid ratings held.
(b) Once the ATO has determined the needs of the applicant, it should develop an individual training programme that should be based on the initial training for the issue of the rating and focus on the aspects where the applicant has shown the greatest needs.
(c) After successful completion of the training, the ATO should give a certificate, or other documental evidence that the training has been successfully achieved to the applicant, to be submitted to the competent authority when applying for the renewal. The certificate or documental evidence needs to contain a description of the training programme.

de facto
27th Jun 2013, 02:48
As OPEN DESC wrote its up to the ATO,no matter how long your rating lapsed,the cap 804 is a guide line and i guess it is for pilots who dont currently fly on the type.
(iv) expiry longer than 3 years: the applicant should again undergo the training required for the initial issue of the rating or, in case of helicopter, the training required for the ‘additional type issue’, according to other valid ratings held.

The word 'should' rather than 'shall' gives the choice to ATO.
Happy fishing:E

DeltaT
27th Jun 2013, 07:37
Ok thanks for that.
How are you supposed to know when there are more regs in AMC1 FCL or even elsewhere?!!
Did I miss something in CAP804?

Also, if I have 500+hrs on a type thats on another ICAO licence, I can convert that back to the EASA one and bypass the 3yr rule?