PDA

View Full Version : Night VFR Navigation tips?

Tarmach
20th Feb 2001, 21:24
Hi all,

Ive just clocked my first hour of night flying! Can anyone tell me any tips for VFR Night navigation, such as rules of thumb - such as how to estimate drift, ground speed etc!

Can anyone suggest any quick rules of thumb for navigation during the day that would help- without the use of the slide rule!

Many thanks,
Tarmach.

Tarmach
20th Feb 2001, 21:30
oh, any of your experience shared concerning night flying would help! What things to do and not to do during night flying etc!

many thanks
Tarmach.

steven
20th Feb 2001, 22:05
AAAAHHHHH night flying. What do I do if there's an engine failiure, how can I pick a field when performing a PFL. The trick is when you are at 100 feet or so you turn the landing light on and if you don't like what you see you turn it off again.
Just kidding. The secret is good instrument flying backed up by position fixes with navaids, checked on the map also, and identification of any prominant landmarks. Instrument awarness is the key particulerly when the weather gets bad and you cant see very well. Keep practicing and I'm sure your instructor will have some handy advice.

AffirmBrest
20th Feb 2001, 22:17
Night Flying -

Same techniques for calculating drift etc. apply, just make sure you choose a fix that has got lights on it..

Have a good plan up your sleeve for engine problems, failing that, a parachute.

Take a torch!

Don't use coloured pens (esp red) on your maps.

When estimating position - everything that is illuminated at night looks closer than it actually is (inc. other aircraft)

If you don't know already, learn how to use a VOR/DME/ADF to navigate and fix your position (just in case...)

Know your MSA!

Day Flying -

Many of the above apply, ask your Instructor about the 1-in-60 rule and the 'Clock code' for estimating drift. 1-in-60 quite complicated to explain all the benefits here but the clock code...

TAS / 60, multiplied by the windspeed (kts) = 'Max Drift' in degrees.

If wind is 15deg off your nose (15deg = 15 minutes = QUARTER of an hour), actual drift is QUARTER of the MAX DRIFT

If wind is 40deg off your nose (40deg = 40 minutes = TWO-THIRDS of an hour), actual drift is TWO-THIRDS of the MAX DRIFT.

And so on, for 30deg, 45 deg, 50 deg and all others to a reasonable degree of approximation.

It works for Groundspeed too - just use angle off the beam (wingtip) and change that into minutes of a hour to get the Proportion of the Windspeed that you have as a H/W or T/W. Then work out the Groundspeed.

Confused? Ask your QFI, then try it - I found that thosae 2 rules are all I really need for reasonably accurate DR/VFR Nav

Have a good plan for if you get 'unsure of position' - ask your QFI to help you construct a 'checklist' and sellotape to your kneeboard

Have fun!

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 20 February 2001).]

Tarmach
21st Feb 2001, 00:00
Thanks AffirmBrest! However, how do I find the groundspeed again, in a little more detail, please?

I guess you would need a flight computer in your hand, unless you were good with maths!

Tarmach

DB6
21st Feb 2001, 00:56
Tarmach, remember of course there is no such thing as night VFR in the UK. All flight at night must be in accordance with IFR (don't confuse this with VMC/IMC), that is to say fly above MSA and use quadrantal flight levels when above 3000ft. Below 3000 ft, same as day i.e clear of cloud in sight of surface etc. If you ask for a night VFR clearance from ATC you won't get one. Other things, don't use red pen on your maps and remember that roads etc on the CAA maps won't show up in red light, and you won't see things like rivers, lochs and railways at night (or roads if they're not lit) and on a clear night you'll see your destination from 20 or 30 miles away (assuming it's lit). Great fun, enjoy it. Oh, and don't close the throttle fully until the wheels touch the runway - you never quite know when you're going to touch down, and learn cross-controlled crosswind landings for the same reason.
Cheers DB6

FYWH
21st Feb 2001, 01:09
Keep a torch at hand. essential!!!!! Aircraft interior lights are a luxury one cannot rely on. Speak of experience. not funny...

on approach, my examiner always told me "go for the money, this meaning, look at the far end of the runway lights and when you see the lights turn a gold/slivery(as in money) while you are ready to flare, this takes practise, but has helped me out in a many of crosswind (25kts)landings here in Cape Town.

cell city, no radar, another bumpy flight

[This message has been edited by FYWH (edited 20 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by FYWH (edited 20 February 2001).]

Noggin
21st Feb 2001, 01:54
Tarmach

If you fly in a well lit area at night you will find that you can see the drift as you fly along. If its not well lit, you will have to fly as though you are in IMC heading and time.

Distances are more difficult to judge at night because you can see lights further away. Towns look larger than they really are and appear to join up.

Despite a low surface wind you may have a strong wind in the circuit or on your navex, there is less thermal mixing at night.

Don't use a Prayer Wheel in the aircraft!!!

Make sure you know what an electrics failure looks like and what to do. The battery normally lasts longer than the fuel, except at night when its supplying more current.

Make sure cloudbase is above the Safety Altitude, watch out for thin stratus layers creeping in below you.

If the engine fails put the landing light ON, if you don't like what you see turn it OFF.

Have fun!

'I' in the sky
21st Feb 2001, 03:19
DB6, don't forget you can get SVFR at night.

DB6
21st Feb 2001, 04:09
Ohhhhhh yes, but where ? Only in control ZONES, not CTAs, so only of limited use. See a previous thread on the ATC forum.
Cheers DB6

Positive Climb
21st Feb 2001, 04:15
Carry TWO working torches and be able to locate them quickly in the dark (ie. not kept at the bottom of your flight bag on the back seat !) - you will be amazed at the number of people who have experienced electric failure and torch battery failure simultaneously - not much fun I can assure you.

------------------
"You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at V2 +15"

Noggin
21st Feb 2001, 17:32
'I' in the sky
Of Course you can get SVFR at Night. How else could you fly in Control Zone without an instrument qualification?

The Military fly VFR at night!!

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 21 February 2001).]