PDA

View Full Version : Back pain A320

The African Dude
12th Apr 2013, 18:51
Hi folks,

No problems operating with a few paracetamol if need be, but ongoing treatment of a disc hernia means that I really notice how hard the A320 flight deck seats can be after 2, let alone 4, sectors.

I stick the lumbar support all the way down and out already, but it's not much help.

Any tips?

Cheers!
An elderly-feeling African Dude

homonculus
12th Apr 2013, 19:31
Paracetamol is merely a pain killer. You may want to add a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug. This blocks the chemical transmitters released from e disc that open the pain pathways to the brain. Best to check with your doctor this is ok. You need to take it regularly to block the transmitters - if you only take it occasionally it is no better than the paracetamol. Stopif you get indigestion

A herniated disc normally dries out and shrivels so it will resolve in time. However injections of local anaesthetic can produce dramatic relief and keep you both mobile and flying. You need to see a spinal surgeon to discuss this

At the same consultation you can discuss surgical options but in view of my previous comments you may wish to avoid this. However everyone is unique so my advice would be to get that consultation

Good luck

fantom
12th Apr 2013, 19:42
If you think the 320 is bad, try the 330.

It's not the seat; it's the way you set it up and your own way of walking/standing/sitting/posture.

After years of pain and now cured, believe me.

gingernut
13th Apr 2013, 10:04
Rolled up towel in the lumbar lordosis (small of the back) ?

If a rolled up towel isn't available, the Captains pay packet ?

The African Dude
16th Apr 2013, 07:19
Thanks for the input!

tom775257
16th Apr 2013, 14:44
There is a captain I fly with on the 320 who carries a lumbar support that straps around the back of the seat, with velcro to keep it in position.

Good luck

Moore
21st Apr 2013, 11:16
Hope your back improves soon. After many years, I use ruck sacks of different sizes and avoid suit cases, in fact anything that avoids twisting of the back. Sudden changes, lifting quickly, gardening, golf, lifting sailing dinghies etc They all have their risks but the back is very complicated and needs time to heal and will if given a chance. Driving long distances is a bad thing unless you have really well designed seats but much more research needs to be done into angles of seats and their design. Operations on the back are serious stuff and are a last resort. Light aeroplane and commercial airliner seats ought to be more comfortable than they usually are.

gingernut
21st Apr 2013, 22:57
I make two 320 mile return journeys to Cornwall twice a month. My legs, knees and lower back crease me unless I stop and stretch....a right pain I know 'cos it adds time to the journey, and probably not that easy in an aircraft. (Was once directed to Charnock Richards by 121.7 but that's another story :))

A short swim prior to traveling also seems to help. Mechanical back pain is a pain, no real magic answer other than avoidance, movement etc