PDA

View Full Version : ATSB and Industry Safety Workshop Sydney, Oz.

syd_rapac
26th Apr 2002, 04:32
Following Rx for further discussion and suggestions.

Quote :

Dear All,

I have scrounged your email addresses from various sources with the view that most of you may be interested in a two-day seminar on helicopter safety. It is all being coordinated by myself and Mark Ogden, who is currently the only ATSB helicopter accident investigator. Mark is also a helicopter pilot of 20+ years experience, and currently contributes articles to many international helicopter magazines. I feel that his observations of many and varied helicopter operations, in conjunction with his investigative responsibilities, has given him some valuable insights into our industry.

The ATSB feel it is about time the helicopter industry received some of their attention, in spite of chronic lack of resources. Mark has already run a one-day seminar, last month at Westmead Hospital, and the consensus of the audience was that there was significant value in an expanded program. Outlined below are some tentative details about the subject matter. Feel free to comment on these ideas and suggest any possible changes. It can be expected that the focus will be on some of the more complex aspects of helicopter operations, although no specific field. Any operation that involves more than the standard risks of Charter Ops, should find this relevant, and probably useful for all of us.

Dates: Thurs-Fri 13th-14th June 2002, daily from 0900-1600
Location: Westmead Hospital main auditorium (seats 300 people). Accomodation and other services are available nearby.
Cost: Nil, just get yourselves here.

Possible Program:

-ATSB roles and responsibilities
-A study in Organisational Failure - Qantas QF1 in Bangkok
-Human Factors' considerations within complex helicopter operations (ie; EMS, police, media, fire-fighting, powerline, construction, SAR, marine-pilot, IFR flight, etc.)
-Risk Management "What is it?"
-The Organisational Accident (impact of the organisational management, company structure, and client influences).
-Crew Resource Management in helicopters (applicable to anyone using co-pilots and/or, more importantly, non-pilot crew members for critical functions in the helicopter).
-Insurance Issues - Presented by QBE Insurance Rep
-Risk Management "How to implement a Risk Managment program" (this may become an essential element of the proposed CASA requirements for Company Safety Programs, not to mention something that should be conducted for high risk operations).
-Open forum time for discussion of sensitive issues. Remember, this is not CASA so we can keep politics out of it, and focus on safety and risk management initiatives.

Once again, if there are any other suggestions please throw them forward. We in the industry have to drive these seminars if they are to be relevant. Please let me know if you are interested so we can assess numbers. If you want no further details on this then let me know and I will remove you from the address list.

Regards,

[email protected]

End Quote.

I believe the last one day discussion was very well received. May also be open to overseas accident investigation authorities.

Regards

Syd