PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaning of oil filters

hoistop
11th Apr 2013, 10:28
Just came over a technicality question:
Pratt&Whitney Canada states in its Maintenance Manual for PT6T engines (installed on Bell 412/212 and some Sikorsky) helicopters, that oil filters and P3 line air filters shall be cleaned by ELECTROSONIC cleaner every 100 hours.
I got an explanation that ULTRASONIC cleaners shall not be used for this cleaning, as theere is a possibility to cause damage to oil filter screens and such cleaning is reserved for overhaul facilities, where filters are appropriatelly inspected/tested after ultrasonic cleaning (required on 900 hours/2 yera intervals)
We have an ultrasonic cleaner available (operating on 47KHz freq with HF output power of 140 Watts.) and the question is is it OK to use it for regular 100h insp. cleaning of filters or do we need to purcase a dedicated electrosonic cleaner? (that, allegedly, works with lower frequencies/energy output)
What are you using? Any suggestion on this topic?

Thanks,

hoistop

146fixer
12th Apr 2013, 07:42
Ask pw. They have local reps who "should" be able to help.
Have worked on engines that have similar statements in the AMM/EMM. All I've ever seen done is new filters fitted. Filters havent worked out to expensive (relatively). The only time I've used an ultrasonic cleaner was when we had no alternative as we had run out of new filters.
Someone else might know better

expatflyer
13th Apr 2013, 19:12
Buy an electrosonic they aren't expensive and only use the solvents PWC list. If you use ultrasonic you will
1. Risk damaging the filter
2. Void any warranty
3. Be in breach of the mm requirements, what will you quote as an I.A.W ?

piggybank
14th Apr 2013, 12:04
Some light reading ref this. For P3 filter refer to MM 73-10-07 pages 205 and 206. For oil filters 79-20-02 p201. I thought the 900 hrs was life of P3 filters but have no refs for this as I am on home break at the moment.

hoistop
15th Apr 2013, 08:31
Thanks, piggybank,

I am aware of MM requirements, I am just fishing for info, how exact to P&WC requirements is this procedure really done in the field-equipmentwise.
Yes, P3 filters are 900 hours throwaway, oil filters 2 years or 900 hours. "overhaul" of filters is not realistic, as it coud cost more than throwing them away.
Are you saying that you strictly use Magkleen 4 or Aqueous Cleaner when cleaning filters?

Thanks,

hoistop

Dagw00d
8th May 2013, 11:51
Follow the manufacturers recommendations. It is the cost of doing business.

Or you can explain it to the jury when the filter comes apart and clogs up some port and causes an engine oil flow blockage which.... Well I think you get the picture now.