PDA

View Full Version : Job prospects after completing an ME/IR CPL?

CLGw
10th Apr 2013, 22:00
Hi all,

I am currently in university and hopefully after completing my degree, I will take the application process in which I am currently engaged in with the Royal Navy further.

Recently my current circumstances have changed meaning that I will just about be able to cough up the money to do an ME/IR CPL licence. I was wondering if anybody knows what jobs would be available in the United Kingdom for someone who has just completed this licence?

I would be looking for jobs in light aviation. Such as a ferry pilot for small planes, etc... Would that be possible, and do these types of opportunities exist in the UK aviation market? If job prospects like this exist, what other jobs exist for someone with this licence? I'd appreciate any information or further knowledge on this matter. I have accounted for the fact that I will need to do some hour building as well. Of course I will only be able to work during the summer months assuming I complete the licence and when my course stops for the summer break.

Best wishes to all,

CLGw

portsharbourflyer
14th Apr 2013, 06:03
Don't assume that light aviation jobs means something that goes to someone without experience. Yes there are ferry pilot jobs but these will rarely go to a low timer, if you are ferrying a privately owned aircraft then the owners will normally want more that a fresh qualifier flying it. Most maintenance companies I know of have a 500 hour requirement for ferry pilots even for piston singles. Single engine piston general aviation jobs (that are not flight instructing) are quite few and far between in the UK (aerial photography, banner towing, glider towing, para dropping), so actually it is probably easier (if you have the funds that is)to buy your way onto the RHS of an A320 or 737.

A Cpl/IR on its own is quite limited so ensure you have funds for additional ratings post qualification. An instructors rating these days will cost 6 to 7000 pounds plus you will only earn about 15 to 20 ponds per hour flight pay as an instructor.

If you want to join Ryanair then the charge for the rating is about 30,000 Euros, plus you will also have expenses to cover during line training.

Reality is a Cpl/ir is a very expensive way to become unemployed at the moment. There are the occasional lucky few that do network the way into jobs shortly after training, but for the majority will spend 3 plus years waiting for employment. There are also a number of CPL/IR holders that never find employment with it.

smith
14th Apr 2013, 10:05
I don't understand, you are applying to the Royal Navy as well? I don't know how you could fit ferry flying around your deployments.