PDA

View Full Version : new version of Morpheus .... aaarrrghh!!!

Squawk7777
26th Apr 2002, 02:39
Being rather forced to upgrade to the new Morpheus software, I haven't seen one advantage. The new version can't connect half of the time, and then downloads time out or are unavailable. I suspected that the new Morpheus version did not like phone line connections so I tried the same with cable. Same thing. I don't understand why the upgrade was necessary, the old version worked great!

Has anyone else had the same problem? Are there alternatives to Morpheus other than Audiogalaxy?

wysiwyg
26th Apr 2002, 08:59
I have a program called Morpheus which allows me to morph one picture into another. Are we talking about the same thing?

cossack
26th Apr 2002, 10:03
I too got fed up with Morpheus (file sharing not morphing ;) ) and changed to winmx. No complaints so far. Its a small download, give it a try here (http://www.winmx.com)

FL310
26th Apr 2002, 12:22
a lot of these sharing programs share actually more than the user expects..so watch out for this...upgrades are introduced at a very regular rate just to enable the spy to extract more and more details from your machine while you happily open the firewall to have the gadget act as a server.

Ever heard about eDonkey...there is certainly no spy in there...

goldballs
26th Apr 2002, 12:50
Agree Cossack, WinMx is very good, and no spyware either. imesh used to be pretty good too, but not used that for a while as I can get all the music I need from winmx.

timmcat
26th Apr 2002, 22:25
Yep, totally agree, Morpheus used to be great, now the 'Preview Edition' is absolutly c**p. I've given up and uninstalled it. Audiogalaxy has more spy's in it than a Bond film.

okeydokey
27th Apr 2002, 16:40
timmcat,
audiogalaxy was (is) a touch notorious because it gave the option of downloading 'gator'. Spyware indeed, in fact probably one of the cruddiest around. However audiogalaxy is a good app and if anyone wishes to use it go right ahead, just don't check the 'download gator' box when you install.
I downloaded 'adaware' some time ago (not sure on the link, run a yahoo search) and have been very pleased. It's freeware and it checks and deletes all spyware from any HD.

bagpuss lives
27th Apr 2002, 17:43
This month I have been mostly using Kazaa Lite ;)

Don't get the nasty full version by the way - full of spyware and adware :( The Lite version is a revelation and especially of interest to people that used to use Morpheous as it's based on the same "servers".

Morpheous is now on a different "network" of peers and is thus different and, I find, infuriatingly sloooooooow even on HSI :(