PDA

View Full Version : Circadian Rhythms

mutt
10th Apr 2013, 13:29
Circadian Rhythms seem to be based around the lifestyle of the western world as it considers a persons "low" to be in the early hours of the morning. Does anyone know of any research based on cultures with more nocturnal lifestyles than the western world?

Mutt

Thomas coupling
10th Apr 2013, 13:34
Bats...........................

homonculus
10th Apr 2013, 17:25
Not specifically but the circadian rhythm is indeed similar as far as I know in all populations. We often measure cortisone levels in patients with pituitary and other endocrine disease and we use the early morning measurement as the baseline. This is also done in the US, South America, Australiasia, The middle and Far East ie they have the same. So I doubt it is different in other populations

mutt
11th Apr 2013, 04:08
Thanks for the reply, with the onset of FAA duty time regulations, the concept of using Circadian Rhythms for schedule planning is becoming a reality. In this part of the world, they have turned night into day due to the heat, so i just wondered if it had affected the bodies cycles.

Mutt

homonculus
11th Apr 2013, 06:25
Interesting

Circadian rhythms are set by climate but mostly light and dark. People who work nights such as nurses have reversed rhythms so the rhythms appears to set according to when you work and when you sleep

The rhythms can it is taught only change by one hour a day so long haul pilots changing time zones normally keep to their home times for sleeping

Of course you are not unique in terms of rosters. Most nurses in the UK work both days and nights whereas 20years ago we had separate night nurses. Many find it very difficult to cope because their rythmn no longer has time to change. Ditto police and other emergency services.