PDA

View Full Version : English Language requirements in Malaysia

Captain Stravaigin
9th Apr 2013, 02:42
I am a Brit living in Malaysia teaching at a University and doing some occasional flight instruction in Kuala Lumpur.

I have an examiner signed form stating that I have been assessed as English Language Level 6 (Expert) by an Englishman in England. I also have a hand written note from the CAA attesting to the fact that I am indeed Level 6.

But the DCA refuse to accept this saying that I need to complete an English Language test in Malaysia (cost circa $100 US). I thought the whole ICAO idea was that the qualification was recognised internationally ??

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get round this ?

What happens in other Asian countries ?

:ugh:

WYOMINGPILOT
9th Apr 2013, 03:04
Every country sets its own standards in Asia even though you have an ICAO recognized level 6. I have taken the test in 3 different countries even though I am a native English speaker. In China, I was awarded a level 5 as the examiner only has a level 5 rating so that was the highest he could award. Just take the test and roll with it. You will have bigger battles later on. Best of luck.

Droste
9th Apr 2013, 06:16
Dear Captain Stravaigin,

If you are Captain Mohd Stravaigin Bin Laden, probably, these Malays in DCA will close their eyes and award you with grade 6 directly. Unfortunately, you are not one.

Save this pdf file. Click here (http://www.dca.gov.my/Division/Flight_Operation/notices/Aviation%20English%20Test%20Centre.pdf).

Go to APFT Testing Centre. Slap those Malays with your Queen's English. If not, hit them hard using Margaret Thatcher's English.

I am sure you will get a Grade 6!

reflector
9th Apr 2013, 08:29
actually you're better off going to UPM to do it. APFT is computerized so sometimes accents are working against you.

Droste
9th Apr 2013, 13:42
APFT is computerized so sometimes accents are working against you.
You are partially right.

Computer recorded will be assessed by human being. Those human beings are actually the testers.

Captain Stravaigin
10th Apr 2013, 09:01
Thx Droste & Wyoming Pilot,

Guess I will just have to bite the bullet, pay a hundred bucks and go for a test.

The Question is: Will my ego survive if I only am given a Level 5 ??

:confused:

Captain Stravaigin
10th Apr 2013, 09:02
Thx Reflector too !

kwaiyai
10th Apr 2013, 14:17
Hi Capt,
I did mine at UPM in 2010 with FFY, it was 300rm then. just do it as they are the Authorities there. I am from your neck of the woods too,
Regds,

Guru8904
10th Apr 2013, 14:42
If you are Captain Mohd Stravaigin Bin Laden, probably, these Malays in DCA will close their eyes and award you with grade 6 directly. Unfortunately, you are not one.Droste,

I smell a strong anti-Muslim sentiment.

Sultan Ismail
10th Apr 2013, 15:02
Capt Straivagin

Let the computer be your friend, it assesses your response against a stress test you perform at the beginning of the 30 minute session.

The system is not looking at the correct answer it is determining if you understood the question and thus are not under stress and makes the assement that you have therefore given the correct response.

I am of the opinion that reciting "rhubarb" as a response to all dialogue needed in the test will ensure a 6 rating.

It worked for me.

By the way, the questions and dialogue are expressed in several dialects e.g. U.S. American, Indian, Hispanic, Teutonic. I don't recall any dialogue using Oxford English.

I did my test at APFT and if it's still $300 then you've got a bargain.

Droste
11th Apr 2013, 11:15
Thx Droste
You are welcome.

I smell a strong anti-Muslim sentiment.
My apology. Different people read it differently.

Please do not get mistaken. Nothing about religion.

However, in Malaysia, it is a fact that “same skin colour things works faster”.

kwaiyai
11th Apr 2013, 13:16
The test at UPM is done face to face with 2 Examiners from the Language Fac.

Guru8904
11th Apr 2013, 15:04
My apology. Different people read it differently.

Please do not get mistaken. Nothing about religion.

However, in Malaysia, it is a fact that “same skin colour things works faster”.

Droste,

Thanks for understanding. You are right about the same skin colour thing but then, it is true not just for Malaysia but for most of the places on the earth.