PDA

View Full Version : US to Irish ATPL

poudaduk
20th Jul 2001, 21:34
Is there any truth to the fact that it is easier to convert a US ATPL to a Irish Licence, and if so does anyone know of some schools that are set up to do that.

Thanks in advance, and safe flying.

Tinstaafl
20th Jul 2001, 23:10
Don't think there is any special 'deal' for converting from FAA to Irish CAA ATPL.

Under the pre-JAR system, you contacted the Irish authority & submitted licences/logbooks etc to get a written assessment of what you needed to do.

Much fewer exams than the UK system required: something like law, met & one or two others.

The catch was that the test must be done in a multi-pilot a/c on the Irish register. I think an SD360 was about the smallest operated in the country when I inquired.

End result was that I did mine in the UK. More exams, but any twin would suffice for the test.

ALT
21st Jul 2001, 11:34
Not necessarily true. Fairly recently, if you didn't have 1500 hours P1 in aircraft over 5700kg, you effectively had to start from scratch, 14 written exams (all essay answers), 2 all-day flight tests, which could take a year or more to complete. Now I dont think you can do it at all in Ireland.

If you have the 1500 hours, they may consider a validation. Rather you than me.

GOOD LUCK!!!