PDA

View Full Version : Combat Stress

Wander00
8th Apr 2013, 11:58
Apparently new series starts on TV tonight addressing how combat strass and PTSD are dealt with (or not). Might be enlightening

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2013, 12:37
For my Dad's generation it was "Pull yourself together man, and get on with it".

There were a lot of badly damaged Great War veterans about when I was a boy. I still think of the poor fellow who sold matches at the corner of Stockton High Street and Dovecote Street selling matches. Left legless by the Somme battle, he sat upon a little wooden platform with wheels and propelled hiself about with his hands.

More recently, we had our house painted by an ex-Para who was blown up by a terrorist bomb in Inniskilling. He was demobbed as medically unfit because of his waking up screaming in the middle of the night and his bed-wetting and has never recovered from his mental injuries. Not all modern soldiers are being treated in the proper compassionate way they deserve, but things are definitely improving.

langleybaston
8th Apr 2013, 13:27
I recommend "Morale - a study of men and courage" by Lt-Col John Baynes.

It is an in-depth of the Cameronians [2nd Scottish Rifles] regarding the battle of Neuve Chapelle in the Great War.

Rossian
8th Apr 2013, 14:51
.....and add to the reading list "Trauma" by Prof. Gordon Turnbull. He was a psychiatrist at Wroughton and debriefed Peters and Nichol after Terry Waite and John MacCarthy.

The Ancient Mariner