PDA

View Full Version : Using B2 licence for permit and EASA Lt A/C

gbdxo
8th Apr 2013, 11:08
Hi all,

I hold a full B2 licence with 3 large Boeing types for over 10 years. Recently I have been volunteering for a historic jet and light aircraft company.

My question is, if I wish to certify for work carried out on 'permit to fly' aircraft, microlight class and EASA light aircraft ( Cessna 172 type etc) what would I need to be added, if any to my licence? Could I, for instance, renew radio annuals.

I have tried ringing the CAA but get lost in the phone service. My email to them, has so far, been unanswered after 3 weeks.

I there anyone out there who has done something similar?

Many thanks.

Tim.

Hoof-Arted
8th Apr 2013, 14:29
Hi , yes I do radio annuals, when Easa introduced the Part 66 licence it stopped all us Old sect L radio guys from certifying radio annuals on our licence, and working out of our cars. As you know now you have to certify using company approval , so what you have to do is apply for the Group -aeroplane reference 66.A.45(g) type rating, what the experience requirements are to get that type I am not sure because I was given it under protected rights. Then when you have that type rating you get the QM of the company you are working for to give you a stamp. For non Easa old MIl types you will need a Sect L licence you can still get one of these ( I have one as well as my B2). As for permit aircraft I am not sure you will have to ask the LAA. Hope this has been a help.

tux
8th Apr 2013, 15:28
To appy for the full group 3 aircraft rating, I had to submit logbook experience of work on 3 different manufactures aircraft (cessna/piper/beech etc.) to the CAA.
Once they are happy with this they then arrange for a CAA oral at your local CAA office. Once this is completed they will issue the type.

gbdxo
8th Apr 2013, 19:54
Thanks for the replys.

From what I can gather from speaking to people today is that I need approval for the following catorgories:

Permit to fly aircraft. Approval from the CAA via the company.
LAA, LAMS aircraft. Approval from the LAA.
EASA Aircraft. Group catorgory-aeroplanes added as a type to my . licence.

You would think having large aircraft types with complex systems, basic avionic equipment on small aircraft would be an easy approval to obtain with a work experiance log.

Any more advice or info would be a great help.

Tim

146fixer
12th Apr 2013, 07:29
I'm asking the CAA the same question. 5 phone calls and 3 emails and nearly 4 weeks and no answer. I'm going to try again today :ugh:
I'm thinking its going to be along the same lines as my group rating for the B1. Experience sheets and an oral.
I had an experience a couple of years ago, I was asked to perform a permit renewal on Remos LSA on an EASA permit. Despite full B1 and having held sectional L licenses and a composite type rating with Rotax neither the CAA Gatwick or my local office could make up there minds if I could do the renewal. This went on for a month. The amount of effort I put into trying to get authorisation do to the permit outweighed the money I would have earn't doing it. So gave up. It's just so frustrating :*

146fixer
13th Apr 2013, 16:40
I talked to the CAA yesterday. To get a group rating for you to certify with your B2 on light aircraft you need to submit worksheets for at least 3 different manufactures. If your experience sheets are ok then its an oral exam. If you want to take one type, then submit worksheets for that type and then take an oral. I did the same thing to get my group and light aircraft type ratings for my B1. The info is on the EASA web site if you can find it. Look for "Annex to ED Decision 2012/004/R 19/04/2012". I have an electronic copy. PM if you need it. Then I think your going to need an company approval. Not 100% on that.
If you need to speak to the CAA ask to speak to Janet Cook in engineering she will point you in the right direction and has always been very helpfully.
If the aircraft you want to certify is on a CAA permit your going to need a section L license and type or group rating. If its on an LAA permit you will need a LAA inspectors license. Give the LAA a call for that they might let you sign for it. You wont get much use out of a LAA inspector license just for avionics. If its on an EASA permit then I have no idea. Talk to your local CAA office. No idea about BMAA either. Hope this helps