PDA

View Full Version : FI and OML

TizerTheAppetizer
7th Apr 2013, 16:19
Can you be a FI with an OML?

Also, what's the average pay for a FI in the UK?

Thanking you.

Fostex
8th Apr 2013, 08:52
You cannot instruct completely unrestricted as a CPL on a Class 1 OML. However most ( if not all ) Class 1 OMLs provide unrestricted Class 2 privileges. Under EASA it is now possible to instruct for payment on a PPL and hence Class 2 privileges.

Even with OML restrictions flying on a CPL it is still possible to instruct but one is only able to instruct a student who is capable of flying the aircraft back to the field without intervention from the instructor. CAP804 has the precise details.

So in short, if you are instructing PPLs and have an unrestricted Class 2 it is unlikely to be a problem. If you want to be a career instructor teaching ME/IR it may well reduce your employability.

TizerTheAppetizer
8th Apr 2013, 18:11
Cheers Fostex, Not good news though.

Whiskey Bravo
9th May 2013, 10:49
Hi Guys,

This one continues to confuse me... I have an OML restriction on my Class 1 (to my knowledge an OML can only be applied to a Class 1 - a different restriction is applied to Class 2 - OSL) and my medical specifically states that I have no restriction on my Class 2.

Reading CAP 804 Table 1 Section 4 Part N Page 11 - Flight instruction allowable by Aeroplane Instructors with a Class 1 medical certificate with OML it states that Ab-initio PPL instruction before first solo cross-country is not allowed. However, the logic behind the Class 1 OML restriction is that you have a similar or less chance of incapacitation than a Class 2 holder, yet a Class 2 holder can now provide that instruction.

At some point I will of course go to the CAA and ask, but it would be great to hear from someone in the same boat who is instructing Ab-initio PPL using embedded Class 2 privileges.

AL3707
15th Aug 2013, 14:59
The information and matrix in Cap 804 PURELY relates to the restrictions imposed when utilising a Class 1 medical with OML. It says so.

Therefore, if you hold an unrestricted Class 2 medical, none of this information is pertinent.

Easa legislation is clear. Section FCL205 relates.

If you have a PPL licence and an Instructor rating, together with an unrestricted Class2 medical, you can be paid for instruction and examining up to PPL level.

If, however, you wish to instruct and examine up to CPL and above, then Cap 804 information and matrix applies.