PDA

View Full Version : Where will you go? Lowcost A320s and charter B767s?

Tangogolf
6th Apr 2013, 19:22
Hi everyone

I recently got offered as Junior First Officer position from 2 Airlines.*

The First one is a lowcost airline using A320s (very secure career future)and they're expanding fast but the contract is 10years long and the bonding is about $100k US. Their schedule is tight, average of 4 sectors per day, total of 90-100 max hours per month no layover.

The second one is a charter airline using B767s and also expanding. However, they are new to the airline business only started back few years ago but they have high potential. The contract *is only 3years long with $35k US bond and the type rating will be train in USA. Their schedule is giving out at end of the every month(like normal). however, as they are charter airline. The schedule is changing all the time and sometime it's hard to predict the future and life planning. Though, the schedule is less intensive as they fly long-haul flight 4-7hours, maximum 2 sectors and layover at some destination, total of 80-90 hours max per month.

Now, as I am new to this career and this industry with SO B744 background, their is possibility that I will *move on to other airline in the future. I am still not sure where I will be joining

what I wanted to know from you guys is which is best choice? the charter 767s or the lowcost 320s?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Long-haul widebody or short-haul narrow body?

how easy is it to move from one to other airline ie. middle east etc..? From A320 to A330/A340 and from B767 to B777/B747/B787? which one have more competitors and possibility of getting a new job?

Your answers would be appreciated.:ok:

tail wheel
6th Apr 2013, 21:02
If you are in Thailand I assume the carriers are in Asia? Why post your questions in an Australian forum?

Moved to the Asian Forum.

Metro man
6th Apr 2013, 22:54
If the B767 operation is in Thailand BEWARE, I've seen the same aircraft in at least three different paint jobs in the last few years. A recurring series of start ups that fizzle out usually owing money.

B767 is getting on a bit now, the type rating will get you looked at and it is heavy time, but the A320 is definitely more marketable and you'll get a quicker upgrade.

I would take the secure low cost option, get an upgrade and save money to pay off the bond early if I wanted to move to the sand pit. You'll work harder and advance quicker, with 2000hrs of short sectors in an A320 you'll be very attractive to potential employers, 3000hrs and you are upgradeable. Plenty of jobs going for Airbus drivers.

GoForIt
6th Apr 2013, 23:59
I probably once worked for the 767 operator you have an offer from. Be prepared for poor maintenance and substandard hotels. From my perspective of 25+ years in this industry, this decision is a no-brainer. The A320 option is the obvious choice, both for short term and long term opportunities.

Since you are new to the industry, multiple short sectors per day is a good thing rather than a bad thing. You need the practice of many approaches and landings. You'll be down low in the weather more, and you'll be making more decisions. It will make you a better pilot.

The 767s are getting old. It won't be long and the charter and freight companies will be the only ones operating them. It is an easy transition to the 777, but there seem to be few companies offering to accept 777 pilots without significant time in type (Korean Air is the only one that comes to mind).

A320s are one of the most popular airplanes in the world and are still in production. Airbus can't build them fast enough. There are lots of operators (especially China) who are offering top $$ for A320 people due to shortage of qualified pilots. The transition to wide body Airbus aircraft is equally easy as within the Boeing family.

Good luck with your career.

GoForIt

spoton
7th Apr 2013, 03:26
Once on the A320 you will be stuck on narrow body.
Take the risk with the dodgy airline but gain wide body experience on the B767.

Tangogolf
7th Apr 2013, 06:15
Thank for all advice and warning, very appreciated.

For more information, the operator of B767(they only have a B767's fleet) has a strong financial and all B767s belong to owner him self NOT rented. Though, the maintanace might be some issue....but not serious.

Indeed, A320 is a better choice for me and they all brand new aircrafts.

However, "spoton" also made a good point. Once if I start of with A320 would I be just stuck to the narrow body???

I guess, if A320 is everywhere in the market. Would it be a lots of A320s experience competitors(pilots) in 4-5years from now???

Would the long-haul or heavy jet required better management and fly across more FIRs + heavy widebody jet landing will gain me more spacialize experiencse? And possible make me DIFFERENT from other people in the market???

D'pirate
7th Apr 2013, 07:17
Listen to MetroMan, the A320 type rating (don't forget CCQ possibility in the future) and the sectors are more valuable than an ageing type with limited job openings (great tho' the 767 is!). Try and avoid such a horrific bond too if you can. Good luck!

RAM777
7th Apr 2013, 10:18
If i were you i would have gone onto 320s without even a second thought...With a 320 experience you have the world open to you whether its middle east,china,india or asia.i some how believe its even a better rating then a 777.for a wide body u can transition easily on 330s/340s n even a 380.320 rating provides u more options so go ahead.Cheers

smiling monkey
7th Apr 2013, 11:43
i some how believe its even a better rating then a 777

His choices are A320 and B767 .. not B777. So it's a no brainer mate .. go the A320.

powerstall
8th Apr 2013, 08:39
As with smiling monkey, RAM777 and most of the guys here, the A320 is a no brainer, you could fly the A320's for now, and with the CCQ of the Airbus, It wouldn't be a problem shifting to 330's/40's.
:ok:

Watchdog
8th Apr 2013, 14:14
Agreed....320 is the weapon of choice! 767's are well on the way out.
Good luck!

aviatorzuckeberg
8th Apr 2013, 17:46
A-320 and low cost formula----way to the present and future.....just look at the sheer no of 'em.....if ur just beginning ur career... A-320 hands down.........flyby wire technology is the reality and counts a lot coz all the new a/c's are flyby wire irrespective of the aircraft company.........plus lots of flight experience in terms of t/o and ldg.....10 years from now 320 versus 767...767 would absolutely be obsolete.....plus if ur gonna be staying with ur loved ones, they will get to see u more often.......A-320 all the wayyyyyyyy.....

Tangogolf
10th Apr 2013, 08:05
Thank for all the comments, :D

It seem like B767 has a difficult career path and i know that after a while it will be gone.

though, My first thought was " may be some airlines(in asia,middle east) will accept 3000 hours B767 type young FO pilot , and transfer into B777/787 with type rating training included" BUT LOOKLIKE LIFE ISN'T THAT EASY :}

Sad:{

aviatorzuckeberg
10th Apr 2013, 12:01
We are not saying that you will not find a spot on 777/787 in the middle east or Asia after 3000 hours on 767 ......But with A-320 time .......the entire world opens up...the amount of options is just ridiculous + the salary..u cannot be jobless even if u want to...plus if the mentioned low cost company has a wide body Airbus or Boeing aircraft in their fleet there is every chance that they might upgrade on the wide-body you after lets say 3000 hours on the bus...also enjoy the initial years on the A-320 coz lot of pilots i know hate flying long haul routes as it can be extremely boring, monotonous and can affect family life..after a certain point u will start hating layovers...many wide body pilots badly want to return back on the 320's.....

P.S--John Leahy of the airbus had recently said that they do not plan to manufacture an alternative to the airbus 320 family until 2025....so there u go....Happy Landings....