PDA

View Full Version : Blinkin' Google Earth

seacue
6th Apr 2013, 11:34
I presently run Google Earth 7.0.3.8542 . This seems to be the latest version. Especially on Street View, the screen has lots of grey rectangles blinking all over it. This is very severe when I move the point of view ... but seems to leave at least one rectangle when the image is static, obscuring part of the image.

I use XP SP3 and GE claims to use DirectX for rendering.

Is there a way to avoid this blinkin' light show? It is very distracting.

Thanks,

seacue

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Apr 2013, 13:01
Similar probs here. Also the images smear into a blur sometimes.

green granite
6th Apr 2013, 14:50
I also get these problems, both in standard and direct x mode, I think it's a google bandwidth problem rather than us.

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2013, 15:05
Strange - my street is full of big grey advertising hoardings, but they don't show up on Google Earth's Streetview. ;)

Seriously though, the full picture is failing to load, for some reason. I had a similar problem when my broadband connection kept stalling, due to BT's lack of capacity / failure to provide the service I was paying for.

Just checked mine. It's the same version as yours, but it works fine just now.

Hobo
6th Apr 2013, 16:17
GE worked fine on both my computers until 28th March when an update was automatically uploaded to both. (Both on Windows Vista and GE in DirectX mode as recommended by them.)

No problem on Mrs H's two year old laptop, but on my 5 year old desktop I got a fault that means I can't use it unless I switch to OpenGL mode and wait for it to 'initialize' each time I want to use it.

Not sure if this is associated with problems listed above.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Apr 2013, 16:58
try updating your graphics drivers

Hobo
6th Apr 2013, 17:31
Is that for me MM?

If so thanks...I'm on the edge of my knowlege here, so can this be done online?

green granite
6th Apr 2013, 18:01
Yes, go to the video card manufactures site and you should find the latest drivers for your card.
(If you google the card type and put 'driver downloads' after it you should get a hit for their download page, saves a lot of navigating around their site to find where it's hidden.)

P.S. make sure it's vista or whatever you use compatible.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Apr 2013, 18:37
Hobo
if you can tell us the make/model of the graphics chip, or if not then just of the laptop then we should be able to point you in the correct direction

what version of windows are you running?

green granite
6th Apr 2013, 18:53
It's his desk top that he's having problems with Milo, and he's running Vista.
My thought was if he did the looking himself it would help his knowledge of such things, he can always come back to us if he's stuck.

Loose rivets
6th Apr 2013, 19:03
I have the OP's version, and it started having all the problems listed. I turned off the tour etc., and apart from the lat long elve being pushed over to the right, it seems much as it was. (their details now take pride of place.)

OFSO
6th Apr 2013, 19:08
Here also - I have an older machine running XP (hardware modified and updated last year) but everything works fine. Tonight tried twice to access GE, starts to load, then big blue square shapes appear on screen, looks like resolution changed, can't read anything, no mouse function. Only way to reset is hit power button (which I only do in an "emergency" before someone says I shouldn't) and restart. Machine comes up again and is perfect. But not with Google Earth.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Apr 2013, 19:11
GG
sorry you're right - I missed that
re the driver search - I guess I just get a bit paranoid about that as I've seen to many paid-for scam sites linking to fake driver sites taking pride of place in the Google results

green granite
6th Apr 2013, 19:16
re scam sites, agreed that's why I said manufactures site but then cocked that advice up trying to make it easier for him. :ugh:

ChocksAwayChaps
6th Apr 2013, 19:23
Not sure if this is as good an alternative to GE in coverage but have you tried Showmystreet.com?

Hobo
10th Apr 2013, 14:13
Thanks chaps (gg & MM) that seems to have done the trick even though I got a failure message during the download.

The screen went blank for about 1 minute during the process, and when I went back to the desktop it had rearranged all the desktop items. Is this usual?

One final question, why do the drivers need updating?

Saab Dastard
10th Apr 2013, 15:16
The screen went blank for about 1 minute during the process, and when I went back to the desktop it had rearranged all the desktop items. Is this usual?

Yes - the latter because the screen resolution probably got changed during the installation (from original to default to original, even if you never saw the steps).

why do the drivers need updating?

Usually a combination of bug fixes and new / improved functionality.

Sometimes the "bug" is introduced by an OS update. :rolleyes:

SD

Keef
10th Apr 2013, 23:03
I'm running Google Earth 7.1.0.1307 and have some of the same problems.

It does put a heck of a load on the graphics card, too. If I try to pan up and down my road a couple of times, it will display large blocks rather than the real picture. It then needs about 10 seconds to recover.

I've always assumed that was down to "bandwidth".

Loose rivets
11th Apr 2013, 01:01
One PpruNe wag, upon seeing the viciously smeared steetview of my Honda, said, 'Don't worry, it'll buff out.'

eventzkaze
23rd Apr 2013, 05:11
Google Earth 7.0.3.8542.. i am using this version and i don`t have any problem according to my needs.