PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a PPL

JIW
20th Jul 2001, 20:50
Can someone tell me the price of a PPL and if it is cheaper (how much) to do it the USA. Is it poss to do it in like a short but intense period of time ie 3-5 weeks?

IanBowden
20th Jul 2001, 21:46
Well here at Newcastle i pay £95 an hour, in the piper warrior, and teeside, in the other direction to me (i am in the middle!) is no cheaper.

Ian

Trislander
20th Jul 2001, 23:20
May I suggest that you read the back pages of FLYER Magazine.

Trislander.

------------------
http://www.aurigny.com/images.gb%20/trislander.jpg
"Ayline 221 airbourne"

EGCC4284
21st Jul 2001, 01:44
£3000, Welshpool.

saggy
21st Jul 2001, 01:57
EGCC is that how much you paid or is that how much they advertise for??
Cause mine has cost me the earth so far :(

Saggy

Tee
21st Jul 2001, 02:11
I won't be popular, but I think that £6,000-£6,500 is a far more realistic estimate for a PPL in the UK these days, especially if it's done at weekends over a period of time. A few years ago, the average number of hours taken was quoted at around 55 - at over £100 per hour, that's £5,500 already without the cost of books, equipment, exam fees, etc.

big.al
21st Jul 2001, 02:17
I'm booked on a JAR PPL course at Orlando Flight Training in Florida in April next year at a cost of $4495 (on the C152 or Katana, of which I've selected the latter).
Check out www.flyorlandoflorida.com (http://www.flyorlandoflorida.com) for info.
This works out at £3395 on current exchange rates (typical, it was £3k when I booked and the rate has worsened!). Don't forget air tickets to MCO (ours cost £324 with Delta via Atlanta) and living expenses. The course includes accommodation but I've booked a villa. I would still think you can get the whole course, flights and expenses for about £4.5k all in - not necessarily a big saving but considering current weather in the UK it'll probably be a year (and £7k) before the magic licence is achievable. Incidentally, if anyone out there has been to OFT at Kissimmee, any advice or info. you have would be appreciated.