PDA

View Full Version : Applications / CV / Resume

B767PL
5th Apr 2013, 06:14
Hello all,

What does your application look like? Do you submit it with a photo? Do you write a cover letter attached to the resume? Do you submit it with letters of recommendation? Write down specific references and phone numbers? How far back do you go in your work history?

The jobs I have applied for and landed have all been in the U.S, using formats common and standard to here. I have applications with various companies in Europe and elsewhere, and am curious to see if maybe there is something I am missing..

How do you do it, if you don't mind sharing?

Cheers !

andre1990
5th Apr 2013, 08:23
Although i have little airline industry experience, i have CV knowledge here in the UK.

I've often heard that attaching a picture can open up the employer to complaints based on grounds for discrimination, so always leave that as a no.

For a serious application, attaching a well written CL to a CV should be normal practice; but its not compulsory. On the CV, best to pull out any relevant experiences from any work position.

I always leave the References section as 'References available upon request'; usually for ease (current employers not informed, letting people know they will be contacted before hand).

RTN11
5th Apr 2013, 08:52
All the aviation jobs I have managed to get in the UK have been with a simple CV, one side of A4, starting with flying qualifications, then experience, then other education, then just a few bullet points at the bottom of other interests/achievements.

If they've read to the bottom of the page, it means you're in with a shot and that's the last thing that will tip the balance for calling you to interview or not. If you don't have the hours they won't be calling you anyway.

If you know that a company has a minimum requirement of a specific licence or number of hours, make it very clear that you meet or exceed this requirement. I know a load of guys who didn't get an instructing job years ago at a big school that was recruiting, as the minimum requirement was 200 hours, which they all had as CPL holders but didn't put it clearly on the CV, and the first filter was a receptionist with a crib sheet just cutting any CVs that didn't meet the minimum requirements. Of course, she had no idea that to have a CPL by definition you must have 200 hours.

Covering letter should be short, again one page, and specific to the company. Do some research and put in there why you want to work for them.

I've never had a photo on my CV, don't know anyone in the UK who does, although I've seen a few Spanish people doing it, so maybe it's popular in other parts of Europe.

B767PL
12th Apr 2013, 04:48
Thanks for the replies guys. I keep on thinking of ways to improve it, as I am not having much success for so much as a call for the few jobs that are out there. The explained above are pretty much more of less exactly what I have. Cheers !:ok: