PDA

View Full Version : Should parents drug babies on long flights?

PAXboy
3rd Apr 2013, 14:16
Here is another cherised topic for SLF on PPRuNe (like the Samoa Air thread!) so enjoy!!

BBC News - Should parents drug babies on long flights? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21977785)
Extract
Parents who medicate their babies and toddlers with allergy or cough medicine on long flights say it helps the children sleep in increasingly cramped planes and helps combat jetlag. It is a polarising topic on parenting blogs, with debates often turning nasty.

strake
3rd Apr 2013, 14:36
Sounds like a good idea...not for the kids you understand, for me.

I'll take a jolly good swig and then both problems are solved. I'll be fast asleep so the noisy kids and long journey are all dealt with from one bottle...

At least there's some use for the stuff because it never seems to help me when I have a cough.

Load Toad
3rd Apr 2013, 15:14
Calpol.

Works a treat - the kids haven't suffered and neither did their fellow passengers.

Hartington
3rd Apr 2013, 19:12
As an SOP, No.

LondonPax
4th Apr 2013, 09:55
Looking back at all the many flights I have taken over the years, long and short haul, the nuisance caused by crying babies is *nothing* compared to the nuisance caused by selfish and stupid adults.

Drug the work colleagues travelling together who are over-excited at being on a business trip but who don't know each other well enough to STFU for one. f%$&ing. minute. :ugh:Drug the nobbers yakking at the bar in VS upper class, blighting at least the first seven rows of people trying to sleep.:ugh: Drug the selfish :mad: who simply don't know how to behave around other people. :ugh:Drug them all!

PAXboy
4th Apr 2013, 12:43
LondonPax, as you're doing your rounds with the 'Fall Instantly Asleep' spray can - please ensure you get the folks behind me who are kicking my seat and using my headrest as a lever to get out. :=

Be sure to check my neighbour who does not understand that:- Reading a book whilst having iPod headphones on means I do not want to be asked questions as to how the IFE console works. :suspect:

Then get the big fat guy who is telling me how he is suffering from very bad intestinal problems. :yuk:

Drug 'em all = :ok:

Phileas Fogg
4th Apr 2013, 14:25
Should parents drug babies on long flights?

Only if they are related to Michael Jackson!

LondonPax
5th Apr 2013, 11:03
PAXboy - will do! I'm gonna need a lot of drugs ...

Unfortunately the drugs don't work on the smelly :mad: who hasn't had a shower in a week.:yuk:

Alanwsg
8th Apr 2013, 16:48
Ryanair to drug everyone for a tenner (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/ryanair-to-drug-everyone-for-a-tenner-2013040864998)

Takeoff53
12th Apr 2013, 20:24
Based on my experience on LH 464 FRA MCO just lately and with at least 25 kids on board spread in Y and C: YES!:ugh:

No, off course not!:ok:

However,I did not think about the fact, that this is a primary route for family vacations and therefor small kids on board. I was in the front part of C but the small C cabin had four kids and the pax not related to them where not happy at all.

Agaricus bisporus
18th Apr 2013, 15:39
Having just suffered a 4 hr European flight during which two 3-4 yr olds from different families spent the entire flight running up and down the length of the cabin, one of them always accompanied by granny, I'd say it should be mandatory. How the parents didn't die of shame I'll never know. There really are some selfish imbeciles out there.