PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities to fly?

andre1990
3rd Apr 2013, 10:18
Hi guys,

So after starting a career i may regret, i want to put all my effort in trying to become a pilot of some form as i always wanted. I've been researching quite a lot recently to understand the process and have concluded that the normal route is to pay £80k or so, then apply for jobs; would you largely agree with this?

I've been looking for the 'paid for' schemes by airlines and only found BA to offer training pay back with their BA Future Pilot Programme. Are there any others?

Thanks in advanced, there is a wealth of knowledge out there im trying to tap into.

gordonquinn
3rd Apr 2013, 11:42
Sent you a PM mate, think we are in a similar position.

Bearcat F8F
4th Apr 2013, 09:23
...have concluded that the normal route is to pay £80k or so, then apply for jobs (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7774644#); would you largely agree with this?
Disagree. I would imagine most people do everything the modular way. If you plan everything carefully, you should have the fATPL + MCC done within £35-£40k max.

And no, apart from BA's FPP, there are no other schemes that are even remotely similar at the moment. At least not in the UK.

You could always use the "career that you may regret" to save up 80K over the course of a few years and then you could try your luck with all the other mentored schemes like FlyBe, Cityjet or whatever else pops up. just an idea!

Good luck.

andre1990
4th Apr 2013, 10:05
Thanks for the valuable reply Bearcat.

Is that a serious figure £35-40k in total? Is that for 'valuable' training (that which will set you up among the best in the pilot job market?).

Sounds very tempting.

P.S: will respond to PM's today!

pudoc
4th Apr 2013, 10:06
Not wanting to start int vs modular debate here. But...

It completely baffles me why guys in their early 20s feel the need to fork out 80k for training? Haven't you heard of modular? It's a lot cheaper. Ignore the fact that certain integrated students think they're better pilots, because I've flown with great pilots from both routes and absolutely shocking pilots from both routes.

I can see the interest for integrated, they claim to have all these airline connections which will get you a job. Whilst this may be true to some degree this job can take years to come after sitting in a holding pool. Although, sometimes it comes quite quickly if you're lucky and a good pilot.

My advice? You're young, go modular. You'll save money, you'll still receive good training and won't be shoved in a holding pool for years.

I always suggest modular to young people because you are so young that if it takes 2 years to get a job you still have time on your side. Whereas with integrated, you have a lot more money to be needing to pay back quickly. A job will come if you go and find it.

Yes I went modular, but I was in the fortunate position to be able to afford integrated or modular with no debts and I wasn't working so full time flying was what I wanted. The only thing that made me go modular is basically I refuse to pay double for essentially the same thing.

If you work hard and become a good pilot, you won't struggle getting a job either route.