PDA

View Full Version : Road legal jet bike

Dunky
3rd Apr 2013, 09:59
Just the thing for the FJ pilot for getting to work in the morning :)

It may be road legal in the US, not sure about the UK, it'd certainly be a giggle taking it for an MoT :E

Y2K Bike

Courtney Mil
3rd Apr 2013, 10:43
MTT - Leading Turbine Innovation (http://www.marineturbine.com/motorcycles.asp)

Servicing could be pricey!

charliegolf
3rd Apr 2013, 11:00
Servicing could be pricey!

Not as pricey as Third Party Fire n Theft!

CG

Molemot
3rd Apr 2013, 11:20
0 to 200 mph in 5.4 seconds. Crikey....I did the sums; 1.72G.

Imagine the thing vertical with it's front wheel in the air....then put on a rucksack with 3/4 of your weight in it...then try to sit on the bike!

Some machine, that is...

airborne_artist
3rd Apr 2013, 11:32
And the guy on the orange bike is in a T-shirt and shorts :\

Flying Binghi
3rd Apr 2013, 12:49
And the guy on the orange bike is in a T-shirt and shorts :\

Yeah, make yer shudder..:uhoh:

I keep a reminder of a bike prang i had years ago - a glove with the titanium knuckle guards ground down to the leather..:\

CoffmanStarter
3rd Apr 2013, 12:53
Wasn't there another American dude who strapped JATO on to his bike ... only to become embarrassed when he had to steer round a bend ... not ... RIP :\

Kluseau
3rd Apr 2013, 16:48
Wasn't there another American dude who strapped JATO on to his bike ... only to become embarrassed when he had to steer round a bend ... not ... RIP :\

I think he may have got a Darwin award for his trouble, though...

brokenlink
3rd Apr 2013, 19:25
A snip at $187,000. Truly FJ Pilot money! Interesting that it is chain driven according to the vid, would have though that a shaft drive arrangement would have been better with that amount of torque. Any views?

Dunky
4th Apr 2013, 11:18
I agree that shaft drive would have been a better option, not sure why they went with a chain. Maybe just for ease of application rather than engineer a shaft drive solution.

OutlawPete
4th Apr 2013, 13:10
Agree, shaft arrangement definitely better for power transmission but must be done accurately otherwise loads of vibration/bearing noise. Chains can be surprisingly capable and forgiving in terms of alignment issues. And, I would have thought, easier for the home engineer to fit.
Things like this are great, anyone seen the Rover SD 1 with the Merlin fitted (ok Meteor but same thing!)?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

ASRAAM
6th Apr 2013, 19:29
I rather think the twisting moment generated by a shaft would be unmanageable unless a very weighty mod to the rear swinging arm was applied.

Courtney Mil
6th Apr 2013, 20:24
Just do what Honda sorted for the solid drive technology. Make the shaft rotate in the opposite direction to the engine. I would have thought that a jet turbine rotating at max chat would be enough torque to worry about. The shaft drive in the other sense can only help, surely.

Nervous SLF
6th Apr 2013, 21:01
I wonder what development they have done since it is now about 12 years or so old?

Courtney Mil
6th Apr 2013, 21:42
Hopefully bought himself some leathers. Riding any bike in shorts is madness. Riding a gas turbine powered bike is beyond belief.

Al R
6th Apr 2013, 21:54
Dunky,

Your comments about the drive sparked a synapse. I remember Alvis (?) doing speed trials at Hullavington with a CVR(T) - they got almost 75 mph out of one before the tracks started to indicate they'd give in.

I have one the final VFR750's, owned since new. Chain with a gorgeous single sided swing arm is the way to go!

Lima Juliet
7th Apr 2013, 08:33
I want one, but I'll wait until they're made by Triumph at Hinckley!

clicker
7th Apr 2013, 13:01
Presume they have reverse buckets for an emergency stop? :E

Dunky
7th Apr 2013, 21:31
I have one the final VFR750's, owned since new. Chain with a gorgeous single sided swing arm is the way to go!

Very nice, they ruined the 800 with the VTEC. I like my SV1000S, plenty of poke from it.