And long may it continue.....

95 years young, if I haven't cocked up my maths

Nuff said :ok:

45 before POL
31st Mar 2013, 23:55
yes happy birthday..your bang on .formed 1st apr 1918. proud to have served:ok:

Roadster280
1st Apr 2013, 00:01
I still think it was a stitch-up on the part of the RN & Army to have the date of inception as April Fool's day, but I wish the RAF "Happy Birthday" anyway!

NutLoose
1st Apr 2013, 00:08
Maybe fools day, but those on the ground or on the seas over those 95 years when they have needed us would say otherwise..

:ok:

Roadster280
1st Apr 2013, 01:02
I won't argue with that. Happy drinking!

SOSL
1st Apr 2013, 02:04
IIRC the first form the RAF adopted (RAF F1) was a seven day delay report and the second ( RAF F2) was a Board of Inquiry report. So we can surmise what the first 2 major events were!!

Still I had a long and happy time - think I'll have a small Lagavulin in memory of times past and old mates.

Rgds SOS

Old-Duffer
1st Apr 2013, 05:39
Dwell on these inconsequential thoughts for a moment:

It was Jan Smuts whose studies led to the RAF being formed.

We had a female component in the form of a 'WRAF' until the end of the First WW.

The PMs survived, in part due to Royal patronage of the King's daughter.

There were two classes of warrant officer until about 1939 and sergeant majors until - not sure when.

The RAF wears a black tie because Nelson is dead.

Everybody knows of Trenchard but what about Sykes?

.......... and it was the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force; not the navy.

jagnut
1st Apr 2013, 06:47
Nelson, dead, has anyone told the Navy!

CoffmanStarter
1st Apr 2013, 06:52
Well played Nutty ...

http://whynow.dumka.us/grfx/Badge_RAF.jpg

Happy Birthday Royal Air Force

Coff.

Finnpog
1st Apr 2013, 07:00
Happy Birthday RAF.

It is also my parent's wedding anniversary. I am still waiting for them to tell me it is an April Fool and that I am a B-Starred.

AGS Man
1st Apr 2013, 07:03
Happy Birthday RAF
Fully agree with NutLoose's comment but I think Sharkey might not!

Peter Carter
1st Apr 2013, 08:13
So, has anybody been pinged for organising the 100th birthday party yet??

CoffmanStarter
1st Apr 2013, 08:17
I understand Pippa Midleton's name has been mentioned :E

ian16th
1st Apr 2013, 09:00
Happy Birthday RAF

The really bad news is that all my 13 years service was in the first half of the RAF's life :sad:

Old-Duffer
1st Apr 2013, 09:19
Re PC's comments about the centenary bash.

The answer is that the job was probably given to a two star along with a million and one other things but he moved on and the job didn't.

I also suspect that current thinking is along the lines of; 'it's still five years away so no probs'. Someone, somewhere will be thinking 'well with BBMF, the Reds, and QCS' that takes care of a chunk of the day. The 'Boss' will get a lunch at the RAF's remaining flying station and in the afternoon she'll plant a tree. That evening, a shed load of stars past and present will have dinner at Sleaford Tech and that's it sorted - now where's my gong'.

What it really needs, of course, is an imaginative and wide ranging programme of events which not only traces the RAF's impressive past record but showcases what it does and involves everybody, including the air cadets etc. Past experience shows that the talent is out there but the service needs to get on with it pdq.

Old Duffer

Neptunus Rex
1st Apr 2013, 09:30
Australia did not repeat the April Fool's Day mistake, the RAAF being formed on 31st March 1921.

CoffmanStarter
1st Apr 2013, 10:10
OD ...

Let's give Danny Boyle the job :}

Ms Middleton can still run the party hat paper plate concession :ok:

iRaven
1st Apr 2013, 10:20
It's a hundred years of flying at Halton this year...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton/rafcms/mediafiles/AE958FD2_5056_A318_A802902120B22920.jpg

3 Sqn RFC turned up at the Rothschild Estate in 1913 in a Belriot, a BE2, BE3, BE4 and the rest, as they say, is history...

There's also 100 years since the start of the Great War next year to get sorted first before we look at 1918 and 100 years of the RAF.

Happy 95th Birthday RAF

iRaven

haltonapp
1st Apr 2013, 13:56
Will the RAF make it to a hundred? Or will it be the aviation wing of the England and Wales military force by then?

althenick
1st Apr 2013, 14:44
.......... and it was the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force; not the navy.

Yes in 1918 it was manned 87:13 % Light:dark Blue yet in the space of 3 years that ratio had pretty much reversed. Despite this The RAF of the FAA then went on to become the prime world under under-acheivers in equipment and doctorine until 1937 - thank god for Inskip!

Happy birthday however and well done for keeping the sausage munchers from our shores - it's appreciated

Al

sisemen
1st Apr 2013, 15:07
Did the 50th and 75th in uniform (75th was a total wash-out) and would hopefully get an invite for the 100th - that's if there's any room for old codgers :{

SirToppamHat
1st Apr 2013, 15:34
Pretty sure there'll be plenty of room for old codgers - and if you want to get some practice in, in the meantime, I believe they're always looking for random people in uniform to make up the numbers at Cranwell Grad Parades!

STH

Tourist
1st Apr 2013, 15:51
Dear God!
Has the obscure april fools prank really been running for that long!?

I bet the Guinness book of records will be interested.

sisemen
1st Apr 2013, 16:10
Cranditz is a bit of step from Western Australia :}

goudie
1st Apr 2013, 16:12
My uncle, Billy Bond, had the distinction of serving in the RFC, RNAS and RAF
I remember seeing a photo of him in a uniform consisting of a Naval style peaked hat, double breasted donkey jacket, boots and gaiters up to the knees.
he retired at RAF Halton as a Warrant Officer.

Gnd
2nd Apr 2013, 10:23
Well done Major Trenchard - the Army do play some pranks on the 1st, but this one stuck!!!!!:O

54Phan
3rd Apr 2013, 04:44
Yes, happy belated birthday to "the mob" from the colonies. I'll pick up a couple of "Spitfire" beers later today and toast them all. I'll also thank them for helping to stare down evil.

3rd Apr 2013, 12:16
..And still the light blue are flying at Upavon (albeit a VGS :ok: and now called Trenchard lines)...

How many other stations can claim a light blue foot print from the beginning?

Gnd
30th Jun 2013, 08:14
Netheravon, it was Army from day dot............... (a bit tenuous but hey, got to keep the light burning) - Thanks Major Trenchard.

And is it really light blue? Isn't it a mucky version of the AAC?

TomJoad
30th Jun 2013, 11:41
Maybe fools day, but those on the ground or on the seas over those 95 years when they have needed us would say otherwise..

:ok:

Well said Nutloose :D:D:D:D:D

Never been in that situation but I can only imagine how a friend in the skies above would make the spirit soar. I had the good fortune of flying over Buckingham Palace in a Nimrod as part of the 75th anniversary. Never felt so proud in my life; felt I was part of something of great worth.

CoffmanStarter
1st Apr 2014, 17:51
I'm sure Nutty won't mind if I use last years thread to celebrate today the RAF's 96th Birthday ...

God bless the RAF and likewise to all those currently serving and who have served in whatever capacity ... long may the traditions and esprit de corps of the service continue far in to the future.

http://rafameltonmowbray.co.uk/images/raf-crest.jpg

MPN11
1st Apr 2014, 17:59
Recent posts remind me that on this day in 1918 both my grandfather and great-grandfather joined the RAF.

The former on transfer from the RNAS.
The latter from the RFC (formerly Scots Gds).

I think Purple is a very nice colour. :ok:

NutLoose
1st Apr 2014, 18:04
Remiss of me not to remember to refresh the thread, thanks Coff, long may it continue.

Haraka
1st Apr 2014, 18:15
All in all, the most momentous influence on my life, and that of my father's.
Thinking back of previous anniversaries,
Yeah............................
Happy Birthday- and thanks.

Tankertrashnav
1st Apr 2014, 19:54
The really bad news is that all my 13 years service was in the first half of the RAF's life :sad:

All of mine was in the second half Ian - but only just. Enlisted 23rd September 1964 so its my half-century anniversary this year.

Great days, loads of aircraft, loads of overseas postings and our only real enemy had the very good sense to refrain from starting anything :ok:

Rotate
2nd Apr 2014, 00:38
The RCAF is also celebrating it's birthday today...90 years young. It too opted for 1 Apr but 6 years later!:ok:

BBadanov
2nd Apr 2014, 01:19
The RCAF is also celebrating it's birthday today...90 years young. It too opted for 1 Apr but 6 years later!

...whereas the RAAF celebrated it's 93rd on Monday - opted for 31 March, instead of being April fools !! :ok:

But that was not our only anniversary during March. On 1 March, we celebrated the Centenary of Military Aviation at Point Cook. Big airshow for the weekend, really made by the flight of a specially made airworthy replica of the Bristol Boxkite.

The first flight at Point Cook had been made by Capt Eric Harrison in a Boxkite at 0745 on 1 March 1914. This feat was repeated with the replica airborne at 0745 on Saturday 1 March 2014. Repeated again the following day.

In addition to the Boxkite flight, for the first time all three of the original aircraft types of Point Cook CFS in 1914 were displayed together. So to the Boxkite (replica numbered CFS3), were an original Deperdussin (CFS4) and a new beautiful exhibit, a replica of a BE2a.

A great weekend, if only I could work out how to post pics !!

Lima Juliet
2nd Apr 2014, 05:48
..And still the light blue are flying at Upavon (albeit a VGS and now called Trenchard lines)...

How many other stations can claim a light blue foot print from the beginning?

RAF Halton. The brown jobs and 3 Sqn RFC turned up a few months after Upavon stood up and never left. The first flight at RAF Halton was in Sep 13 and during the first half of the Great War it trained many tens of thousands in trench warfare (the trenches are still there). From 1916 aircraft technical training began and by 1917 the still extant old workshops had been built (using German POWs) for the apprentices.

So RAF Halton (RFC Halton Park) comes a very close second...

LJ :ok:

Tiger_mate
2nd Apr 2014, 06:03
"So, has anybody been pinged for organising the 100th birthday party yet??"

YES

RIAT have....

and it is already known as RAF (as in riff-raff) 100. Something that has been frowned upon for all of my 37 years service.

So it would be fair to say that the RAF Centenary is out to civil contract - just like most of the modern day Royal Air Force.

Whenurhappy
2nd Apr 2014, 06:48
And 1 April is also the RNZAF's Birthday, although not constituted in its current form until 1937 (thanks to Cochrane and Salmond...no... not that one!)

CoffmanStarter
2nd Apr 2014, 07:04
Anyone daring to utter the phase referenced by Tiger_Mate above ... should be taken out and shot ... twice ... IMHO

Tankertrashnav
2nd Apr 2014, 08:15
Hear hear, Coffman. A few days into my OCTU course I told my course commander that my brother had also been in the "raff" and was very firmly put right.

ian16th
2nd Apr 2014, 09:24
Being a member of the SAAF Association, when the question of 'Which Air Force' is brought up, I always say; the Royal Air Force. I never even abbreviate it to RAF.

The SAAF people are very proud of being the worlds 2nd Air Force!

It was also the 2nd Air Force created by Jan Smuts. This time on the 1st Feb 1920.

Not many people created two Air Forces.:ok:

teeteringhead
2nd Apr 2014, 14:47
A few days into my OCTU course What kept 'em TTN?

I'm sure it was Day 1 of AOTS we were told saying "RAFF" was a hanging (or shooting) offence, along with "plane" other than referring to a woodworking tool.

And said Day 1 was 34 days before the 50th - on which we had to work, so I think I'm still owed a day off in lieu!

[Edited to add:]

And another thought - would it be naughty to suggest a Hunter flypast through Central London for the 100th ..............:E:E:E

Or is that just a load of Pollocks ......... ;)

Wensleydale
2nd Apr 2014, 17:03
There was a plan to merge the RAF Regiment with the Royal Irish Fusiliers to form the RIF RAF Regiment, but that idea fell through....

MPN11
2nd Apr 2014, 18:35
VERY old joke, Wensleydale!!!

4/10, can do better (possibly) ;)

BBadanov
2nd Apr 2014, 20:01
The SAAF people are very proud of being the worlds 2nd Air Force!
It was also the 2nd Air Force created by Jan Smuts. This time on the 1st Feb 1920.

The formation of an air force in SA commenced in Feb 1920, but the SAAF was not formally constituted until 1st Feb 1923.

No, not the 2nd !! RAAF was, 31 Mar 1921.

Ken Scott
1st Apr 2017, 13:49
So today is the 99th year of the 'hundred year experiment', looking forward to the centenary next year!

Herod
1st Apr 2017, 15:42
April first isn't all that bad. It was my commissioning date (1965).

MPN11
1st Apr 2017, 20:12
April first isn't all that bad. It was my commissioning date (1965). Good heavens, me too (Feltwell, 172 Yellow Sqn). I always think it was the day I Fooled the system!

Anyway, Happy Birthday, RAF .. and all those who served, past and present ...

...including my Grandfather, who migrated from the RNAS on this date, and my Great-Grandfather who was at that point RFC (having been in various Army Regiments previously).

Ogre
2nd Apr 2017, 03:42
Can't wait for the party next year...

On the subject of air forces, I once had an official meeting with a female employee of a colonial government, and during the meeting I mentioned that I had served time in "The Royal Air Force".
"Which one?" she asked
The reply was a slightly smug "There is only one Royal Air Force...."
Her reply to that was "No, there are lots of countries with Royal Families, and many have Air Forces....!"
"Yes" said I, "But the clue is in the title. For example you have the Royal Australian Air Force, the Royal Norwegian Air Force, The Royal Malaysian Air Force etc."
It didn't persuade her, and I had to provide further details of the pedigree of said armed force.....

goudie
2nd Apr 2017, 07:20
I hate it when it's called 'The British Royal Air Force' too.

pr00ne
2nd Apr 2017, 07:58
It Is British!

Why do you seem to hate everything British?

goudie
2nd Apr 2017, 08:25
Totally misconstrued what I meant pr00ne, which is, there is no need to refer to it as 'British'. As has been said. It is The Royal Air Force!
' Seem to hate everything British?' Utter nonsense...As usual!