PDA

View Full Version : RAF

liquidhockey
20th Jul 2001, 16:57
im thinking of coming out of college this year with my as-levels to join the RAF.i was thinking of going in as an engineer or a airloadmaster. can anyone tell me if the experience gained in the RAF and the quals i come out with will replace my a-levels in the airines eyes?
What jobs can i get into if i have been trained as an airloadmaster or and aeronautical engineer after the RAF??
DESPERATLY NEED SOME INFO ON THIS.
cheers all
Dave

scroggs
20th Jul 2001, 18:44
Maybe I've missed something, LH, but why would you want to restrict yourself to Air Engineer or Air Loadmaster? While these two trades have a limited future in the RAF, the Air Engineer is in very rapid decline in the airline world, and there aren't that many loadies in the airfreight business anymore.
You would be far better off continuing to A-level and trying for pilot.

liquidhockey
20th Jul 2001, 20:20
i wont be able to go back to college for reasons i dont want to disclose so im looking at an alternative that will still let me become a pilot.im 17 by the way. Any suggestions?
Dave

scroggs
21st Jul 2001, 00:02
Neither Air Engineer nor Air Loadmaster will in any way lead to opportunities as a pilot. You have got to get those A levels somehow, so that you can apply for pilot from square one. No A levels, then you've got to brace yourself for the multi-year, £50,000-plus self-sponsored route to a commercial job. I think that getting the A-levels would be easier - change college, or do them at night school.

Mr moto
21st Jul 2001, 00:11
If you're not desperate to be earning a living flying before you reach 30 then there are good opportunities in the forces.

You may be able to study A-levels at the same time and get cheap flying with excellent instructors at station flying clubs.

If you stay for your time and make use of the superb facilities it will look good on your CV.