PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr Rich Howell

grimfixer
30th Mar 2013, 18:59
It is with the greatest sadness I have to post the news that Rich passed away yesterday after a short illness. Having recently left the service the news might not get round in time to the (many) mates that would like to pay their respects. I would be glad to pass on the details of the Service for Rich as soon as it is arranged, please PM me for this.

A good mate and renowned aviator - I know many of you will be raising a glass with me.

GF

sargs
30th Mar 2013, 19:08
Very sad news indeed. A great aviator and a top bloke, I was hoping to meet up with him again this summer. RIP Rich, I will raise a glass to you tonight.

Wrathmonk
30th Mar 2013, 19:26
Very sad news indeed. A top class bloke who kept his unique sense of humour to the fore despite the numerous challenges he faced.

Gezaware
30th Mar 2013, 19:33
Very Sad to hear this.

Haven't seen him for a few years. A very talented aviator and a truly great man with a great outlook and sense of humour despite what life had thrown at him. Having left the service for a few years now, he is exactly the sort of mate I miss.

Rip Rich.

Phoney Tony
30th Mar 2013, 19:36
A sad lose. I enjoyed swapping stories with Rich during my time with him on the Firebird's Sqn. Thoughts are with his family.

paulgod
30th Mar 2013, 19:58
So sad to hear that Richie has passed away, I knew him all the way through training, IOT and Nav training when I crossed trained. We both did our first Tornado tour on 20 Sqn.

Please let me know when the funeral is

DuaneDibley
30th Mar 2013, 20:03
Awful news of the loss of a thoroughly decent man. Rich's tremendous personal qualities shone through in everything he did. Thoughts with his family. RIP.

London Eye
30th Mar 2013, 20:50
I have known Rich throughout my time in the RAF and although we didn't see each other often, I really enjoyed catching up whenever we did. A thoroughly top bloke, great aviator and fantastic officer. My thoughts are with his friends and family at this difficult time.

LE

AF03-111
31st Mar 2013, 09:23
Very sad news. I served with Rich towards the end of my RAF career, and also worked with him more recently through some joint US-UK projects. A great bloke, full of support and advice, with a spirit not often seen these days.
Cheers mate - safe travels.

31st Mar 2013, 15:15
Very sad news. Despite everything, Ritchie was always cheerful, even attending a Dining In night in No5s and beanie hat while undergoing his treatment.

Unless it has been repainted in the last couple of months Richie's name is still under the rear cockpit of ZA392/006 at Lossie, (having previously been 'E' on II(AC)), applied shortly after he arrived on Two Sqn, although he wasn't able to fly with us by then.

MoosePoole
31st Mar 2013, 15:54
What sad news. Rich was a top bloke, great aviator and the sort of character everyone needed on the Sqn. He fought and won against C when we were on Shiney Two - tragic that he passes on so young. My thoughts go to Helen, Chris and Sophie. If anyone has contact details for Helen pse PM me.

RIP Richie.

Moose

AdLib
31st Mar 2013, 16:49
Very sorry to hear of Rich's passing. He was an outstanding and totally professional aviator and officer and a fantastic bloke. He will be very much missed.

grimfixer
31st Mar 2013, 18:09
Moose,

PM me and will talk some more.

GF

genghis khan 01
31st Mar 2013, 21:10
Great guy and truly wonderful memories of when he put in a star guest appearance with 27 in Alaska. RIP Richie

Lima Juliet
31st Mar 2013, 21:59
I bumped into Richie off and on over the years and he was one of those people you always remember. I last saw him at Waddo where he explained the fight with the big C. What a sad loss. :(

RIP mate

LJ

just another jocky
1st Apr 2013, 06:48
A great character, truly top bloke and someone you'll never forget.

RiP m8.

Peter Carter
1st Apr 2013, 08:11
I flew with Rich a few times in the late 80s. I thought he was quiet, self-effacing and the consummate professional. It was a pleasure to work with him. Indeed a sad loss.

Ivor Fynn
1st Apr 2013, 16:19
Very sad, I flew with Rich a few times, and drank a lot of beer at Laarbruch, Bruggen and various other drinking establishments. A true gent, great sense of humour. My thoughts are with Helen and the children.

Ivor

YellowBelly
1st Apr 2013, 17:22
Such very sad news. Rich was a true gentleman and professional aviator. My sincere condolences to his family. RIP.

Didntdoit
1st Apr 2013, 18:35
Rich was a top, top, bloke. His ready wit, time for others and kindness will be sorely missed and our thoughts go to his family.

RIP Buddy, you're going to be missed, big time.

Northernbloke2
1st Apr 2013, 21:11
Sad times. Known Rich since nav school and latterly on 56R Sqn. Great bloke, average golfer. He will be sorely missed.

Condolences to Helen and the family.

Four Types
2nd Apr 2013, 12:14
Met Rich on 56(R) Sqn at Waddo. Very nice man indeed. Sad news, I never new he was so ill, he never played upon it. Thoughts are with his family at this time.

Whoosh1999
2nd Apr 2013, 16:23
Served with Rich on IX(B) at Bruggen. Always the life and soul of the party but a top aviator and someone I thoroughly enjoyed flying with.

Last saw him at home 4 years ago and despite his illness he was as upbeat and positive about life as ever.

My condolences to Helen - Rich will be missed by many.

H Peacock
2nd Apr 2013, 21:38
Such a sad sad loss. Rich was such an all-round great guy. An utter joy to work with. Just wish I'd met him sooner.

Rich, an absolute honour to have met you, known you, worked with you and flown with you.

RIP Buddy.

grimfixer
4th Apr 2013, 12:46
Service for Rich is now arranged. I will PM these to those that have contacted me. Anyone else wanting to attend please let know and will copy you in.

GF

Mystic Greg
5th Apr 2013, 20:20
How very sad. I worked alongside Rich at High Wycombe 10 years ago and caught up with him periodically since: once met, never forgotten. RIP and condolences to his family.

Mal Drop
5th Apr 2013, 21:46
Memories of him as one of those unforgettable characters from Nav school, a sad loss.

SRENNAPS
6th Apr 2013, 06:48
Very sad to hear this news. I served with Rich on the Mighty Crusaders at Bruggen in the nineties. He was Top Aircrew and a Top Bloke. As a SLOC controller I got to know all of the aircrew very well and Rich was an absolute pleasure to work with.

grimfixer
13th Apr 2013, 12:10
Just thought I would let all those know that couldn't make it;

The service for Rich was extremely well attended with standing room only in the church. I know that Helen was very grateful for the messages from all of his ex 'mates' and it was a comfort to all the family to see the huge regard in which Rich was held.

Eulogies from a childhood friend and fellow Nav were extremely well delivered. The timing of the GR4 pair that on topped as the congregation left the church was immaculate. I probably speak for most of the guys when that was my weakest moment.......

For those that couldn't make it - Rich provided a typical moment of levity with the Katrina and the waves, walking on sunshine request to close the service!

Rest assured if you couldn't come along there were plenty of glasses raised throughout the evening on your behalf.

Honoured to know him and will miss him hugely.

GF

Ivor Fynn
13th Apr 2013, 12:54
Sums the day up beautifully, just a pity I couldn't stay in the pub for long after the service.

Sadly missed.

Ivor Fynn

just another jocky
13th Apr 2013, 17:24
Thanks grim.

Really sorry I couldn't be there but grateful to hear that he got the send off he so deserved.

Well done all.