PDA

View Full Version : CX SO benefits.

2nd officer Aus
30th Mar 2013, 11:35
Hi all and a huge apology if this is in the wrong thread. I have looked through as many posts as I can, and each one has certainly been full of information. But I guess my issue is that there is no up to date info on the exact benefits that CX offer their second officers. (Rated for 777's). I am hoping a current SO from CX is able to accurately answer the below queries.

Is the any threads that anyone can point me to that I may have missed, which outline the exact benefits that are available right now. I have found the info on the forgivable loan, but need some more info on that, do CX pay the repayments or is is it deducted from your wages and recouped another way?

As for the wage, from what I see, it's around the HK$35k per month plus $10k allowance, as well as the $3.5k duty pay( so lets say HK$49k per month)

What I am most interested in is the cost to return to Australia when need be. What are the costs of flights back, are they simply standby flights or do SO's enjoy the ability to return at will for a certain price. Reasons being I have children back in Australia and need to travel back regularly to see them in queensland. I assume I would need to fly back to Melbourne first and do a domestic back to BNE.

Is there someone kind enough to (privately) provide a copy of their contract (with all relative personal info blanked out obviously) so I can see if their offer is is good as everyone says? Is it a standard blanket contract for all SO's or does it vary?

I realise that a lot of this request is a bit personal, but I am not really interested in leaving VA if the benefits are just not worth it in the long run. The most instant bits are the costs to return to Australia, and the forgivable loan.

Hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

schweizer2
30th Mar 2013, 13:44
Hello,

I believe you can try and contact the recruitment team directly.
If you have applied for the position or demonstrate interest in applying they may or may not show you a copy of the contract.

Best of luck.

TeaTowel
30th Mar 2013, 14:23
Have people had the contract sent to them before after asking? I would also be interested in seeing it so might I might email them. My AE applications has been in for 7 months.

2nd officer Aus
30th Mar 2013, 14:49
Cheers for the reply. They will only show the standard entitlements that are available from the website, but pretty sure they offer a lot more once the recruitment process is In full swing

I understand I will have to go to Adelaide for up to 6 weeks to do transitional training, then hopefully be offered to relocate to Hong Kong.

The main thing I am after is the costs to travel back and forwards to Australia. I know that a single family member or at least a allocated person can obtain the flight benefits for travel, but was just curious as to the costs for an SO to commute between HK and AUS regularly.

If I have to spend thousands commuting, it would be better off just staying domestically where I am based in SYD.

SloppyJoe
30th Mar 2013, 17:07
Its about HK$1400 one way to BNE in business class standby or HK$900 in economy. The only way for an SO to get a firm seat is to buy one full fare.

If your on the 777 with VA you would be insane to go for this job. If you are on the 777 already that makes no difference whatsoever as to what fleet CX will put you on.

CX fly direct to BNE.

The forgivable loan is cash given to you after probation (1 year). You do not repay it unless you leave prior to completing 6 years of service. Guys have left prior to this thinking they could get away without paying, they could not and CX lawyers chased them wherever they went until they paid. One guy had to remortgage the family home.

Schooling for your kids is only payable to schools in HKG you can not use it for fees in AUS.

Your about right with 1st year salary.

2nd officer Aus
31st Mar 2013, 01:47
Thank you for that info sloppy joe, much appreciated.

I am starting to think that it's just not worth it, stay with VA. it is not as glamorous in HK as it is projected.

crwkunt roll
31st Mar 2013, 03:14
Same **** different shade of brown. You'll at least get an upgrade in VA within 5 years and you've just got a very nice pay rise. Personally I would stay in Australia and build seniority.

seneca208
31st Mar 2013, 07:22
Unless you particularly want to fly widebody (as very few SOs at VA are eligible and as such few upgrade on the tripler), just stay, do your time then bid out for the 737 when you are eligible (3 years?)

2nd officer Aus
31st Mar 2013, 08:40
Thanks all, I was thinking it all over and as always you want to go where you think the grass is greener. Seems to me that it is just more beneficial to remain as is, and as mentioned, work towards seniority.

Jetpilot213
31st Mar 2013, 11:41
As far as the idea of commuting is concerned, here are my thoughts and experience:
http://www.pprune.org/7729998-post22.html

OneBarWonder
1st Apr 2013, 04:47
I couldn't help but smile at this thread. I spoke to a couple of Australian CX SO's in LKF last night and they were all champing at the bit to get back home and work for VA.

Stay at VA..:ok:

Cpt. Underpants
1st Apr 2013, 06:22
On April fools day they do....

crwkunt roll
1st Apr 2013, 11:42
Yes they formed a little group outside 7-11, drifted down towards Tivo to catch a glimpse of a $90 drink and were quickly ushered away.

2nd officer Aus
3rd Apr 2013, 14:27
That's a fantastic read jetpilot.

Jetpilot213
6th Apr 2013, 08:02
That's a fantastic read jetpilot.
Hope it helps with as you weigh out different options.