PDA

View Full Version : Jet Provost T4 XS177

bin boy
29th Mar 2013, 22:56
Hi
I wondered if any one could hep me at all.
Me and a friend purchased Jet Provost T4 XS177 last september from Metheringham.
Our plans are to return her to ground running condition over the next few years and put her back into the markings of the Raf Macaws display team to which she was once part off.
Our main battle is finding parts to bring her back to life including control colums but the search will continue.
I wondered if anyone on here had ever worked on her at any part of her life or eve flew her as trying to build up a full history of its displays, flights and whereabouts as we only have partial f700s for her.
If anyone could help with any information on either crews, log book entries, photos ,parts or in fact anything to do with XS177 at all we would love to hear from you.
My email is [email protected] if anyone wishes to get in touch or requires any pictures of her now or any further information on the project.
Thank you for reading and look forward to hearing any information etc.

Regards

Darren

sycamore
30th Mar 2013, 10:54
You probably know ..`jetprovost.org`,and `jetprovostheaven.???`

Wander00
30th Mar 2013, 13:19
Flew a night solo then Final Night Test in this aircraft on 25 Oct 65 (I passed - thank you Ian Panton)

newt
30th Mar 2013, 13:32
Flew it quite a lot in 1988 when it was at Shawbury being used by Marshalls of Cambridge for ATC training!

staircase
30th Mar 2013, 18:22
I flew it 5 or 6 times whilst doing flying training as a Cranwell cadet in the spring of 1970.

bin boy
30th Mar 2013, 20:16
Hi and many thanks for the posts so far .
Certainly started to fill in some more gaps on her list of flights that i am trying to build up .
If anyone could help in the way of copies of log book entries with flights of XS177 that would be great.
These obviously would be for private use for the project and not displayed anywhere.
Thank you again for all your help so far

Regards

Darren

CoffmanStarter
30th Mar 2013, 20:27
Good luck Bin Boy ...

http://www.jetprovostfile.org/s/cc_images/cache_2414301315.jpg?t=1333441069

I'm sure many would like to know how you get on with your project ...

(Not my pic)

bin boy
30th Mar 2013, 21:03
Hi Coffman. Many thanks for the picture.
She is currently in a dismantled condition at the former Raf Binbrook where i work so that i can undertake a study of the aircraft to see its condition and to work out all the parts we require.
So far the airframe has been brushed and hoovered inside to remove the countless years of dirt that had gathered in all the areas.
The port wing has been worked on as the undercarriage has been in the down position for a very long time so as you may gather was pretty well stuck, but is now moving so a deep strip of the undercarriage is next so the bearings can be re-packed with fresh grease to make the cycling of the leg smoother.
Once treatment has been done on a few places, the airframe will go through a step by step rebuild to get every system working before the engine and jetpipe are installed.
The biggest nightmare is with it being a spares recovered airframe for another Jet Provost there is quite a few items missing and several sections of wiring loom have been either cut or removed but work has already started on the rectification of the looms.
Many parts have been sourced including a jet pipe and even a new pair of front screens which shall be fitted later on in the project to save them being scratched or damaged.
A engine has been sourced but will not be joining the project until the time comes as it lives in a air conditioned hangar so its best residing there for the time being.
We have sourced several ap,s to help us along but if anyone has any ap,s which we may be able to copy as well as any parts that may be available that would be great.
I will get some pictures posted up of it in its current state

Regards

Darren

newt
30th Mar 2013, 22:38
And your point is jenkins?:ugh:

RetiredBA/BY
31st Mar 2013, 20:18
Flew 177 quite a lot in 72/73 when I was standards QFI at Manby.

bin boy
31st Mar 2013, 21:08
Have sent you a pm retired ba.
She will be painted in her markings she wore during that period at manby with the macaws when finished. :)

nipva
1st Apr 2013, 09:06
Having checked my logbook I found that XS177 features rarely but rather significantly. On an afternoon in November 1978 I was flown in it back to Brawdy from Brize Norton having that morning written off a Hunter 9 with a major birdstrike. The next time that I flew it was in July 1989 and I ejected from a Tornado the next day. I am glad that I never went near it again!

bin boy
2nd Apr 2013, 17:06
Thankyou for that info regards 2 more flights of XS177.
Would there be any chance of any further information from your log book regards
them two flights please ie Dates, Pilots name,Destinations and flight time please as helps build up more history .
Many Thanks
Darren

Sanf
2nd Apr 2013, 20:04
I've looked through my fathers log book and found he flew this JP -

RAF Syerston No 175 Course:
Oct 13th 1967 - He flew as 2nd crew to Flt Lt Ireland - Notes=FNT
Oct 30th 1967 - Flew solo - Notes=LP107

School of Refresher Flying:
March 19th 1974 - Flew Solo - Notes=Ex5

Total time in the aircraft 3h15mins.

I notice your in Lincs as well, I'm in Lincoln so if you want any copies of the log book pages let me know. :ok:

bin boy
2nd Apr 2013, 20:06
Pm sent :)

RetiredBA/BY
2nd Apr 2013, 20:19
Action tomorrow !
BRG, David.

Tinribs
3rd Apr 2013, 14:57
Richard Lake, owner of Eastern Airways and Humberside airport bought a large number of JP bits and has one in flying condition at Humberside.

He used to let pilots from Eastern Airways borrow the aircraft but that may be a thing of the past, I think Dave Thomas did a lot of the flying.

You might like to enquire if Richard Lake at Eastern has any spares, I recall seeing a pile of tip tanks next to the hangar but there might be other stuff in the stores

bin boy
3rd Apr 2013, 16:10
Hi tin ribs.
I dont know richard personally but know the guy who looks after his private collection of aircraft he has including his spitfire.
Have visited his place before and yes he does have a vast amount of spares as he also use to occupy the property I am in at binbrook so saw some of the spares he had.
Also only 5 minutes drive from me so will pop up and see them again with a list of parts I require.
Thank you for reminding me thou. :)

With thanks to many of you who have posted on here I have filled some gaps in the flight history of 177.
Very grateful to you all.

Regards

Darren

bin boy
5th Apr 2013, 19:32
With many thanks to this site and member Nipva i have now got in touch with the last person who flew XS177 so many thanks to Pprune.
Would still love to hear from anyone who flew her or worked on her as still looking to build up more history on her. :)

Many thanks to everyone so far on here

Lima Juliet
5th Apr 2013, 19:53
Happier days at RAF Leeming...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/9/2/2243296.jpg

NutLoose
5th Apr 2013, 21:24
I take it you are posting on the Flypast forums as well?

praesta2
6th Apr 2013, 13:27
Primarily for SANF: 175 Cse at Syerston Passed Out in 24th November 1967. I have some pertaining to this. PM me if you would like me to send them on