PDA

View Full Version : The One and Only North Korea Thread (merged a few times)

light_my_spey
28th Mar 2013, 23:40
What with all this sabre rattling which is quite clearly on the increase, excuse my ignorance but is North Korea actually a real threat?

michaelmedley
28th Mar 2013, 23:58
Over here in America they don't seem to be taking them seriously one bit. The understanding is that N Korea doesn't have the range to threaten mainland US so therefore they are not a threat.

Also I have heard NK doesn't have the technology in place to really advance so they will just intimidate SK to get a reaction.

Just what I have heard but I find it all very interesting as to who makes the next move

M

West Coast
29th Mar 2013, 04:40
Dangerous to whom?

To the mainland US, CW would suggest no. If you're based on a South Korean navy ship, most definitely.

Two's in
29th Mar 2013, 07:12
The real threat from North Korea is the American public don't take them seriously enough to warrant the increased spending on defence the sabre-rattlers are after. Now Afghanistan and Iraq are rapidly fading from the public's collective memory there needs to be a new bogeyman to get any real budget allocation. Thank goodness the American public aren't that easily taken in by all this. :rolleyes:

Erwin Schroedinger
29th Mar 2013, 07:43
North Korea danger is rising and US ready for 'any eventuality'

North Korea danger is rising and US ready for 'any eventuality' | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/north-korea-danger-is-rising-and-us-ready-for-any-eventuality/story-fnd12peo-1226608914693)

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2013, 08:48
Two's In, yes you are probably right. A bogey man is needed to get funds released so that US ready for 'any eventuality'

Rather than a hypothetical threat it seems Congress and Senate need a real threat. I seem to recall that the Backfire bomber provided a real 'air breathing' threat to the US when there was no modern Conus air defence system. Funds were provided for the F15.

At the time I read a series of reports on the Backfire with its range and capabilities progressively reduced which then removed the threat. Now there were lots of 'redundant' F15 which could now be deployed forward to Europe and Asia. I guess funding would never have been authorised at that scale if an accurate assessment had been available at the outset.

The real threat from Korea is one of creating regional instability, a region that is the man supplier of consumer goods to the rest of the world. Now I don't know how many products in the US have 'Made in China' on them but I was amazed to find that a lost-cost tourist economy, such as St Lucia, was selling tourist tat made in China.

ExGrunt
29th Mar 2013, 08:54
@LMS,

'Threat' has two components - 'capability' and 'intention'.

Capability: NK is a highly militarised state (in many ways similar to pre Great War Germany) but its conventional forces are at least a generation off the technology pace for the moment. So as set out above its reach is likely to be distinctly local. Nevertheless, it does appear to have an active nuclear programme which will only improve capability over time. Given the recent rocket (ahem: balistic missile) tests this must be considered a regional danger. As to asymetric attacks (ie an individual/small group with something nasty) I would say that they are quite capable.

Intention: This is where the real worry comes from, NK is led by an immature (in terms of international statesmanship) absolute ruler who has grown up the subject of a personality cult. That is a recipe for capricious and possibly irrational decision making.

Separately, geographically the region is a four way friction point between Russia, Japan, China and Korea. So rather like the Falkland Islands the whole thing has the potential to eurpt out of nowhere on a Friday afternoon when you are looking the other way.

I would just second the point above about the supply of goods, but say it is not just 'tat', but also important electronic components vital for computing/communication/telephone equipment.

EG

Kitbag
29th Mar 2013, 09:10
If this report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21972936) from Aunty is to be believed the NK rocket force may not have the capability to damage much of ConUS (see graphic at bottom of report), but could readily destabilise regions in which the US is trying to increase its' own influence.

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2013, 09:16
ExGrunt - tourist tat in a low cost economy just as an illustration of the spread of Chinese goods right to the bottom of the market. Yes, find consumer electronics 'not-made-in-China'. I am not saying none, just most.

A French friend works in Philips in France. They still produce consumer electronics but essentially they are top end of the market products until production moves to Asia and they have to start with a new product range just to stand still.

Stuffy
29th Mar 2013, 10:36
If N Korea makes one EMP bomb. Then finds a way to let it off over the USA.

It then has become a terrible threat.

PRY: North Korea EMP attack could destroy U.S. (http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/19/north-korea-emp-attack-could-destroy-us-now/?page=all)

ExGrunt
29th Mar 2013, 11:09
@PN,

I think we agree, All I was trying to say was the region is really critical to modern life elsewhere. I know Philips very well and even the products manufactured in France will have significant components sourced from Korea/Taiwan.

All the best

EG

Lord Spandex Masher
29th Mar 2013, 11:19
...A boggy man is needed to get funds released so that...

I'm not sure a person made of rotting plant material is really necessary!:}

brickhistory
29th Mar 2013, 11:42
Thank goodness the American public aren't that easily taken in by all this.

History doesn't really agree with this statement.

Nor do I agree with the rest of your post. It's all fine to ignore something or someone as "not a threat" until they are. Then the bleatings about "why weren't we prepared for this" are fairly loud.

I submit that anyone with a nuke is worthy of keeping an eye on. Anyone led as North Korea has been is worthy of focus.

And if it were to go south, no pun intended, guess who will get blamed?

Argentina is not really a threat given the state of its economy and armed forces. Yet not insubstantial forces are stationed there (the Falklands, or "Las Maldives" as the current POTUS calls 'em) and any utterance by the hag gets lots of attention. Why?

edited to specify the Falklands

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2013, 11:43
You haven't seen the palm leaf hats in the Caribbean?

hval
29th Mar 2013, 12:21
There was a sharp increase in movements detected at North Korea’s missile sites last night.

There are unconfirmed rumours that there is increased activity (Chinese troop movements) on the North Korea/ China border.

Agaricus bisporus
29th Mar 2013, 13:06
If the guy is as mad as he appears to be perhaps he actually wants to martyr his nation. It's not such an unusual concept in this world, is it?

And what do you suppose he'd order his subs to do if a nice juicy US carrier or other big warship appeared in its sights? Sinking one of those would give the USA a severe headache in terms of dealing a suitable response. I'd be plenty worried about those things if I were the D of D.

Can't nuke mainland US? Oh no? You don't need rockets, Hapag Lloyd will deliver it for you...Think asymmetric! There are plenty of ways.

If a guy as weird as this wants to make his name in history he's got the tools to do it and if he spouts off too far and risks losing face by backing down we might have a problem.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Mar 2013, 13:58
Stuffy is right, a single EMP bomb is the real threat. NK dropping a ground burst nuke would mean immediate nuclear response. It is much harder, internationally, to retaliate against an EMP attack with a groundburst on Pyongyang as fallout would arrive elsewhere. Likewise, a retaliatory EMP attack is not practical as NK has f-all electronics anyway, is less dependent on them, and the strike would affect surrounding countries.
The problem is that the US has done little about protecting itself against EMP, or more importantly, doesn't have the ability to replace a burned out electrical grid.

Expect the same threat from Iran - who are approaching the rocket technology to put an EMP warhead over Europe. Once they get a nuke (or NK gives them one), they have a credible threat too.

lomapaseo
29th Mar 2013, 13:59
What's the US public got to do with this?

Are we expected to analyze the situation and discuss our miltary's strategy in front of the world?

Who other than North Korea wants us to start moving our families into bomb shelters?

Just when are we expected to launch our own nuclear capabilities? Should we clearly announce them now for a world wide vote ?

Yes, it's tough waiting for a provocatative move by the NK before deciding on a measured response whatever that tit-for-tat might be. But that's what we expect our military to absorb.

I expect as always that the chess moves will be made in secret and that we will only see the results. and second guess them afterwards in our history books.

air pig
29th Mar 2013, 14:24
Can't nuke mainland US? Oh no? You don't need rockets, Hapag Lloyd will deliver it for you...Think asymmetric! There are plenty of ways.

Exactly, you can turn a container of machine tools into a container of anything you want, just need to change the paperwork a few times whilst on its journey and then its sailing under the Golden Gate bridge, the East River, Haifa or Tilbury and bang. No notice and no idea where its come from or from whom. Perfect for a false flag operation as well.

GreenKnight121
29th Mar 2013, 19:48
ExGrunt & Kitbag have the right of it.

Two's in... does it matter in any way what the opinion of the American people is?
Were Croatia & Serbia considered "a significant threat" by the people of the UK in January 1914?

Yet it was events there that ended in the deaths of just under a million British plus another quarter-million Empire citizens (about 10 million military deaths worldwide, with another 6 million deaths from war-related non-combat causes, including civilians) over the next 5 years, now wasn't it?

West Coast
29th Mar 2013, 19:58
Take that one step further. The Balkans in the 90's. Many in the US couldn't relate to genocide in Europe, ergo it wasn't important. How many now under the age of 40 remember it? A lack of interest doesn't equate to a lack of significance, much the same with fat bastard in NK.

BEagle
29th Mar 2013, 20:08
...the Falklands, or "Las Maldives" as the current POTUS calls 'em...

Does he really? Surely even he knows that the Maldives are some 8000 miles from the Islas Malvinas?

Stuffy
29th Mar 2013, 21:30
The Russians are getting nervy.

How much all of this is bluster and political games, is open to question.

BBC News - North Korea tensions: Russia's Lavrov fears 'spiral' (http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21974381)

Captain Radar....
29th Mar 2013, 21:43
North Korea wound up by B2s over South Korea

Why? How did they know they were there? ;)

dead_pan
29th Mar 2013, 21:52
no idea where its come from or from whom

I'm sure they'd have a pretty good idea where it came from. These things do have a fairly unique fingerprint.

brickhistory
29th Mar 2013, 21:54
Does he really? Surely even he knows that the Maldives are some 8000 miles from the Islas Malvinas?

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

But sadly, that famed intellect and coolness under pressure does seem to be lacking.

Barack Obama makes Falklands gaffe by calling Malvinas the Maldives - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9207183/Barack-Obama-makes-Falklands-gaffe-by-calling-Malvinas-the-Maldives.html)

One wonders how he'll handle the young fat one.

Agaricus bisporus
29th Mar 2013, 22:27
Why the heck is the dimwit calling them by such a contentious name anyway? BO is English speaking (ish) - at least, not Spanish. His nation is English speaking. It damn well ought to be supporting democracy and legality, so why the hell is he pandering to the illegal, immoral and baseless claims of the Argies by using an inappropriate name for British territory?

Fool.

Agaricus bisporus
29th Mar 2013, 22:30
No doubt the Heroic Darling Fat One saw them in a vision.

Thus it must be true.

Lyneham Lad
29th Mar 2013, 22:54
Both sides are playing with fire. Stand by for mega-tears...

Milo Minderbinder
29th Mar 2013, 23:14
the Americans put it in a press release....including a photo

Green Flash
29th Mar 2013, 23:34
I hoping that the Spams have some inside knowledge that the NK's won't/can't do anything silly, hence the appearance of the Whiteman boys on the peninsula.:ooh: Otherwise, Lyneham Lad is right.:eek:

West Coast
30th Mar 2013, 00:03
I'm not one to defend President Obama on much, if anything, but.....

I and most I know who went to school in Southern California learned them by the name Malvinas. That doesn't change that the islands are Brit territory, just that I learned the name a wee bit differently than you. On this issue I've been lectured by Brits about how I should call them the Falklands as hundreds of years ago our lot and your lot were the same lot.
I live on a street with a Spanish name, the radio station I listen to at times is across the border in a Spanish speaking country, about 20 something miles away. On a clear day I can see Russia, err Mexico from my porch. I ate Mexican food for dinner yesterday. The Mexican football team is regularly covered in the local fish wrap. Spanish is spoken regularly in our household when we dont want my little guy understanding what the wife and I are saying. I vacation regularly in Mexico. I think you get the point that just because the US has strong Euro ties, it doesnt over ride strong local influences.

GreenKnight121
30th Mar 2013, 00:57
Not to mention that "Hispanics" are the 2nd-largest and fastest-growing ethnic group in the US... having passed "African-American" as the 2nd-largest ethnic group in early 2001.

Of course he is going to pander to their votes by "expressing solidarity with the oppressed Latino against the European Colonial Oppressor"!

After all, British (and Falkland Islands) citizens cannot vote in US elections, so they are not to be bothered with.

Archimedes
30th Mar 2013, 01:08
For what it's worth (and forgive straying to the South Atlantic instead of South Korea for a moment) Obama actually said:

And in terms of the Maldives [sic] or the Falklands, whatever your preferred term, our position on this is that we are going to remain neutral. We have good relations with both Argentina and Great Britain, and we are looking forward to them being able to continue to dialogue on this issue. But this is not something that we typically intervene in.[1]

Which was pretty much the public line of the Reagan administration while AIM-9Ls were being prepared to head south in 1982... [2]

So to be fair to him, AB, what he was doing was being even-handed and polite; he did use the F-word in the presence of Latin Americans, which can only be seen as being careful not to upset the UK. I appreciate that the Daily Mail believes that US foreign policy should be exercised in the interests of the UK, but it seems entirely fair to me that the President of the United States should, well, attempt to carry out American foreign policy in the interests of the United States, which may mean having to avoid taking sides with long-standing allies if it avoids causing widespread angst in the US's back yard...

[1] Source - Remarks by President Obama and President Santos of Colombia in Joint Press Conference | The White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/04/15/remarks-president-obama-and-president-santos-colombia-joint-press-confer) about half-way down, but search for 'Maldives' in page

[2]Yes, yes, I know about the complication of Harry Train being godfather to Jorge Anaya's son and Jeanne Kirkpatrick's problem of not meeting a fascist dictator she didn't see as a likeable bulwark against communism adding to the PR fun

cargosales
30th Mar 2013, 02:51
North Korea has said it is entering a "state of war" with South Korea in its latest escalation of rhetoric against its southern neighbour and the US.

BBC News - North Korea enters 'state of war' with South (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21979127)

ORAC
30th Mar 2013, 07:17
So to be fair to him, AB, what he was doing was being even-handed and polite BO is not neutral as regards the UK.

Why Barack Obama is an anti-colonialist (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/07/AR2010100705485.html)

The State Department’s Falklands press briefing was a diplomatic disaster for the US (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100206687/the-state-departments-falklands-press-briefing-was-a-diplomatic-disaster-for-the-us/)

Piltdown Man
30th Mar 2013, 08:01
The most worrying thing about North Korea is that they don't have the checks and balances of the Chinese. If the Dear Fat One gets out of bed one day with a hangover, they'll be off - There will be no one to tell him that he is wrong. They are not criminals - just barking mad! And no one has ever told him he his wrong; a leader with the ethics and morals of a spoilt three year old. The only solution to NK is do a deal with the Chinese. It will be expensive, but not as expensive as the damage caused in a conflict. As for those in the US - I think they should give the country back to the Americans. Hey, what's good for the Malvinas is good for the Native Americans.

PM

John Purdey
30th Mar 2013, 09:28
Let us all hope it is just hot air, because under the Treaty of Washington 1954, all the allies who had taken part in the Korean War agreed that '..in the event of any renewal of hostilities, the signatory nations will be prompt and united in response' (That's us folks! I may not have got the oprecise wording right).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Mar 2013, 09:52
No such Treaty. The Geneva Agreements of 1954 contain no reference to the resumption of hostilities. There was a Declaration by the US made in Washington later, but it is not, to my knowledge, binding on anyone. The Geneva Agreements refer to the Vietnam War. Are you confusing this with the 1953 Armistice Agreement, which the North Koreans have said they already refuse to abide by (quite a few times)?
The text of the Armistice is here
FindLaw: Korean War Armistice Agreement: July 27, 1953 (http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/korea/kwarmagr072753.html)

Mk 1
30th Mar 2013, 10:16
Nice way to turn the tables on the NorKors. After all it's normally them trying to put the wind up us.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Mar 2013, 10:28
Mods- possibly time to merge the various Korea threads? There's one on JB too.

Finnpog
30th Mar 2013, 12:22
It could just be ruthless PsyOps from the USAF.
Imagine if no B2s flew over, but the press release said that they did.
How much paranoia will be going on in the command exehlons of the NK air defence units?

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2013, 12:33
Hold on people, the B2s are flying over SOUTH Korean territory where they have every right to be if invited by the SK Govt. There's nothing wrong with that - its only the N that's been betting hysterical with escalating threats of violence for some months. No one's been provoking this that we mere mortals know about, no one provoked them to fire 3 stage ballistic missiles or let of nukes, so let's be a bit circumspect about accusing the US and SK of playing with fire when they're taking a mild and prudently defensive posture in the face of unwarranted and inexplicable nuclear threats. I don't hear any objection to China massing forces on their border with NK and that surely is highly provocative, because we know full well that they aren't there to oppose the NKs - quite the opposite in fact, and that's a really scary scenario.

air pig
30th Mar 2013, 12:35
I'm sure they'd have a pretty good idea where it came from. These things do have a fairly unique fingerprint.

That's if you have a specimen from the original reactor that provided the Uranium, I suspect that he does not have a Plutonium based weapon yet. And, whose to say he did/does have a collaboration programme with say Pakistan or Iran. one nuclear capable and one with aspirations.

Have people got their go bags packed?

Bunker Mentality
30th Mar 2013, 14:03
I see that a Para Bn has been put at 24hr NTM for Korea: Placed on 24 hours Notice To Move for Operations on the Korean Penisular (http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/196810-placed-24-hours-notice-move-operations-korean-penisular.html)

Any RAF units in the frame?

500N
30th Mar 2013, 14:15
BEagles squadron ?

West Coast
30th Mar 2013, 14:18
It's not like all those odd ball looking KC-135 airplanes haven't sniffed the air after the past nuke tests.

Trim Stab
30th Mar 2013, 14:20
If 49 Para have been put on standby then elements of 24SAS are probably already out there on the ground..

500N
30th Mar 2013, 14:25
The second man on the balcony has already gone.

All 35,000 of them :O

higthepig
30th Mar 2013, 14:27
Any RAF units in the frame?

Not as yet, Central Hotel Booking Service is closed until Tuesday morning.

Hueymeister
30th Mar 2013, 14:34
Hig...its the CHReservationService now!

500N
30th Mar 2013, 14:37
"Any RAF units in the frame?"

Sharkey has got on his blog and said the SHar would be the
best one for CAS so that's them going as well.

Bunker Mentality
30th Mar 2013, 14:37
Fair one about CHBS - but they should still warn people so they can get their cases packed and so-on before the hotels are booked. I mean, people need time to get their suntan lotion, etc - they won't have been expecting to need any in this weather.

500N
30th Mar 2013, 14:41
Still a bit chilly in Korea at the moment !

Re Any RAF units in the frame?

Apart from Sharkey and his boys, I thought the US had it all covered
with B2's flying direct from the US ?

higthepig
30th Mar 2013, 14:41
Hig...its the CHReservationService now!

Bum, shows how much I have used their services recently :O

Union Jack
30th Mar 2013, 15:31
I see that a Para Bn has been put at 24hr NTM for Korea: Placed on 24 hours Notice To Move for Operations on the Korean Penisular (http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/196810-placed-24-hours-notice-move-operations-korean-penisular.html)

Let's hope they are all medically qualified .....:)

BlackIsle
30th Mar 2013, 17:28
This is a bit early for an April Fool .......?

Stuffy
30th Mar 2013, 17:31
North Korea says enters state of war against South (http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE92T00020130330?irpc=932)

U.S. Defense officials: North Korean threats are 'bellicose rhetoric' - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/30/world/asia/north-korea-us-threats/index.html)

Ivan Rogov
30th Mar 2013, 17:42
633 Sqns TSR2s have started practicing at RAF machrihanish, but keep it to yourselves!

Agaricus bisporus
30th Mar 2013, 17:57
Take the piss gently fella, the presence of Sharkey and his ilk (plus associated hardware) might be of great use in just such a circumstance. That's why we had 'em.

And clearly we're at rather a loose end without them. Oh? Did I say loose end? I mean utterly toothless. Out of the picture. Irrelevant. Is that really the sort of "foreign policy" our "government" wants?

Madness, binning the Harrier/carrier. Utter irresponsible madness.

dctyke
30th Mar 2013, 17:59
Don't forget the important stuff:

1. What are the best electronic gadget buys in South Korea.

2. Is the base american and does it have a well stocked PX.

Lonewolf_50
30th Mar 2013, 18:12
NK is A threat, most specifically to SK in terms of severity.

The Japanese likely not too comfy these days either.

Level of threat?

Ask Lloyd Bucher.

Ivan Rogov
30th Mar 2013, 18:29
Agaricus bisporus, I think it you taking the piss with post like that! There is a slight difference between a small island in the S. Atlantic with some conscripts a couple of SAMs, AAA and a hand full of fighters and one of the Axis of Evil top five! Just what are you suggesting a few puffer jets would provide, target practice?

Happy easter everyone :E

Trim Stab
30th Mar 2013, 18:42
Madness, binning the Harrier/carrier. Utter irresponsible madness.

If we still had a Harrier/Carrier, and it had by chance been in a deployable state of readiness when this latest NK buffoonery had started, and our PM had been unwise enough to immediately deploy it, it would by now be about half way across the Med with another ten days or so before it could arrive within strike distance of NK subs (that is to say, way short of strike distance of the Harriers). So we would be sending a clear threat of escalatory intent, with no teeth whatsoever.

Are you sure you're not Sharkey in disguise?

AHAR
30th Mar 2013, 18:51
49 Para. The Big Yin vs the big Yawn. This is getting extremely serious.

Trim Stab
30th Mar 2013, 19:40
This is getting extremely serious.

Agreed. Maybe time for UNSCP5 to secretly agree a pre-emptive strike then let the Chinese Ministry of State Security leak the scoop to the NKs via undeclared channels.

smujsmith
30th Mar 2013, 19:48
I hear that the BX at Kunsan are running a 50% off deal on Webber's this month, maybe that explains the increase in transcontinental bomber movements!

Bunker Mentality
30th Mar 2013, 20:28
Good point, Smuj. However, Korea is still some miles inside the Midland Radar overhead, so I hope the guys are keeping a good lookout.

PingDit
30th Mar 2013, 21:08
The RN's already got them surrounded by SSN's!
A few well placed TLAM's should quieten them down a tad.

Cows getting bigger
30th Mar 2013, 21:26
Hmmmm, about one million troops and another eight million or so in reserve.

I'm not sure that anything the UK can contribute, short of nukes, would make much of a difference.

smujsmith
30th Mar 2013, 21:28
I'm thinking we could send them all those Tesco "Bronco" burgers, it would make a nice change from Dog stew. :eek:

sycamore
30th Mar 2013, 21:30
New CDS trying for points,or Cameron/Clegg `interfering`.....fc%&wits..!

Pontius Navigator
30th Mar 2013, 21:55
Lloyd M. Bucher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_M._Bucher)

21 Years After Losing the Pueblo, Lloyd Bucher Wins Honors for Its Crew : People.com (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20120858,00.html)

The Pueblo was just one of several US ships standing in to danger.

Gulf of Tonkin incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident)

The Gulf of Tonkin incident (or the USS Maddox incident) is the name given to two separate confrontations, one actual and one false, involving North Vietnam and the United States in the waters of the Gulf of Tonkin. On August 2, 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox, while performing a signals intelligence patrol

USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident)

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli Air Force jet fighter aircraft and Israeli Navy motor torpedo boats, on 8 June 1967, during the Six-Day War

Bunker Mentality
31st Mar 2013, 00:42
I don't want to upset you any more, Sycamore, but 2 Coys of Guards have now been put at readiness, too: Inoperative Link to Imaginary Story on Another Site

SASless
31st Mar 2013, 01:00
So if you send you entire Army to Korea.....you're gonna open up a huge Can of Whip Ass and give them a proper thumping are you?

How long will it take you to get there, set up, establish your logistics tail, and be prepared to fight?

North Korea’s regular army consists of 4 corps in the front area, 8 corps in the rear area, one tank corps, 5 armored corps, 2 artillery corps, and 1 corps for the defense of Pyongyang, a total of over 80 divisions and Brigades. Almost all of these forces are based near the DMZ and require little time to be ready for an offensive. In fact because the North Koreans maintains these forces on a continuous state of alert there will likely be little appreciable warning before a commencement of hostilities.

glad rag
31st Mar 2013, 02:40
The RN's already got them surrounded by SSN's!
A few well placed TLAM's should quieten them down a tad.

Wow Really?

You really think giving their bottoms a collective spanking when they have nukes and are basically insane is such a good idea?

I think that's just what they WANT you to do.

After all, whats 2 million less mouths to feed to them?

500N
31st Mar 2013, 02:53
"New CDS trying for points,or Cameron/Clegg `interfering`.....fc%&wits..!"

I think he told them 49 Para and 24 SAS with Sharkey in support
could handle it all by themselves.

After the Gurhas missed on on the main game in the Falklands,
might be worth giving them a gig in this one as well :O

Heathrow Harry
31st Mar 2013, 08:36
the biggest risk is something kicking off due to a perception by the PRNK that the ROK + USA is likely to attack

Although to our eyes the N Korean Govt looks like it's run by a bunch of madmen in fact they are quite clear & logical about maintaining their own (local) domination - they've lasted since 1945 and they are unlikely to suddenly go crazy just for the sake of it and pull the roof in

What is needed is someone they trust (or might trust) to act as a go-between and calm them down - that has to be China. Hopefully now that the "elections" are over in Beijing Mr Xi will realise that having neighbours throwing buckets of instant sunshine around is a bad idea and will have a dreadful impact on his country as well.....

Heathrow Harry
31st Mar 2013, 08:41
It would not surprise me after all these years that the Chinese have excellent ties with some senior NOK officers - if the Young leader decides to invade the South or use N weapons I'm sure these patriotic folk will appeal to Comrade Xi to intervene "to save communism" and replace the current leadership with a People's Committee

China might well go to war with the west one day but it'll be over something that is in THEIR interests - Taiwan for example - not to pull Chubby Cheeks out of the fire

Finnpog
31st Mar 2013, 08:49
Unfortunately (And I may be very wrong here) whenever I see PR footage of the NK leader, I cannot help but form the impression that he is a patsy with SEN who has been placed there as a figurehead of sorts to cover the actual military command structure.

Him actually in charge? Really?.. :eek:

parabellum
31st Mar 2013, 09:27
In the past, when NK has played up, a few million, maybe billion, dollars worth of food and other non-military aid has been enough to put them back in their box.

parabellum
31st Mar 2013, 09:37
It must be serious, I heard today that the 51st Highland Division is to be separated out into it's original five regiments, under their own cap badge and kilts are to be issued immediately, not only that, band practice has been cancelled!:eek:

Roland Pulfrew
31st Mar 2013, 09:57
I hear that the BX at Kunsan are running a 50% off deal on Webber's this month

Excellent news on the Webbers, pity they won't fit my engine. Fortunately though, my Weber is only 4 years old so has a few years before needing replacement.;)

Jimlad1
31st Mar 2013, 10:59
I heard that 49 Para were travelling to Korea via an armoured train pulled by Deltic Engines and armed with gods own rifle (SLR) for protection. The train of pure win will also have landing pads so that Sharkeys harriers can take off and land to provide top cover.

The only problem is that this convoy of British whoop arse its currently stuck some 10 miles outside basingstoke due to signal failure in Abergavenny...

high spirits
31st Mar 2013, 11:57
F£&k you Hans Brix....!

Ok, so it was about his dad, but they seem broadly similar in the 'psychotic head of state' department!

garyscott
31st Mar 2013, 19:57
http://www.geekation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Geekation_NorthKoreaMissleProgram.gif

RubiC Cube
1st Apr 2013, 10:25
You guys seem to be getting very wound up about the threat here, where I am on one of my regular visits. The latest statement about the state of war only made the second item on last night's news and my Korean hosts seem no more concerned than the last time I was here when the missiles were fired at the military island outpost.

I have just returned from a visit to the Imjin River and the Glorious Glosters memorial, close to the border. I didn't see any sign of military activity, nor were any of the guard posts at strategic locations manned (which I have seen before). Having seen the terrain, one can only marvel at the fighting the Glosters endured 60 years ago, not the terrain for a modern army invasion. I'm sure the South must have bridges mined so that they can close all the major road routes, so sheer weight of NK numbs won't be an issue. IMHO it has to be an aerial bombardment.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Apr 2013, 11:33
What was the first item on the news?

hval
1st Apr 2013, 11:43
Fox3,

You may see for yourself, here (http://www.koreaherald.com/index.php)

RubiC Cube
1st Apr 2013, 12:37
Correct, I knew it was something to do with Turkey, but I don't speak the lingo, so wasn't that interested. Tonight's news showed some military training, but again not the main item.

Lonewolf_50
1st Apr 2013, 15:00
If you'd like a good laugh, there is a propaganda film from North Korea (ostensbly, I am not sure it isn't a bit of a send up) over at liveleakdotcom.

You know you have the correct film if you see the blue body bags and coffee made with snow. :ok:

chippy63
1st Apr 2013, 22:12
I was interested to see the Supreme Leader's briefing on a possible missile strike against the USA. He looked a bit like a middle manager in a second tier Asian airline announcing their route aspirations to the US.

Interestingly, his chart showed the ingress as being W > E. The great circle mapper shows that the missiles would come from the NNW!

Finnpog
1st Apr 2013, 22:25
In view of this not appearing to be big news in SK, I bet CMD is wetting himself with the media focussing on NK rather than on important matters closer to home. A nice little moral panic to keep the 'little people' occupied and not asking awkward questions of the coalition.

Rhino power
1st Apr 2013, 23:46
Lonewolf 50, is this the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Kq78G2nxA

-RP:ok:

500N
2nd Apr 2013, 05:00
Someone just said that the French have surrendered to North Korea :O

A White flag is being flown from the top of the Eiffel Tower !

Courtney Mil
2nd Apr 2013, 08:34
OMG, that film is terrible. It's been a couple of years since I was last in the States and I hadn't realised that things had got so bad there. They must be very grateful for the NK handouts.

Al-bert
2nd Apr 2013, 09:27
Snow coffee, tents with no roof - lucky lucky b@st@rds - we ad it rough in my day! :sad:

foxvc10
2nd Apr 2013, 11:28
Looks like Americans speak/read French as well..

WhiteOvies
2nd Apr 2013, 11:48
As I drove into work this morning on the East Coast USA there was an advert for personal underground shelters that could be hardened against EMP attack. The advert started with a soundbite from a news broadcast relating to North Korea...:hmm:

Amusingly on the day the company will be displaying it's products to the local population (in a car park) there will also be casting calls for the 'popular' TV show Doomsday Preppers!:D

As a cynical Brit I think all of this is highly amusing but clearly some pople are worried...or think the remake of Red Dawn is a documentary.

Halton Brat
2nd Apr 2013, 21:45
I would be quite content if China were to invade NK, eliminate Sonny Boy & his Generals & drag the country into the 19th century, establishing peace, relative prosperity & good order en-route. The NK people do not need democracy & they would not know how to handle it anyway. China would harbour no territorial ambitions towards SK, whose integrity would continue to be underwritten by the US.

China has a large degree of responsibility for the present NK situation; they alone could sort it out with minimum damage.

HB

dead_pan
2nd Apr 2013, 22:00
Yes, it does make one wonder why China continues to indulge the regime, given their increasing status on the world stage. Their standing in the West would go up considerably were they to sort out this nasty little anachronism.

500N
2nd Apr 2013, 22:11
Halton

"I would be quite content if China were to invade NK,"

I think the rest of the world would be pleased.

If he carries on any longer, I think you might find
China does give him a hard slap over the head
- or more if he doesn't listen to them.

It wouldn't take much for them to take him out
and have the General's run it.

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2013, 22:22
Hmmm

Pressure builds on China as U.S. ups might in Korea-The Korea Herald (http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130402001018)

500N
2nd Apr 2013, 22:26
I like the comment about how can China be viewed as a regional power
when they have so little influence over NK.

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2013, 22:53
I often used to laugh at the previous dictators armoured train, if his people loved him so much, why did he need an armoured train to travel in?
Trouble is one wonders now if China are in the same quandary as the west, you have a petulant child at the helm, but now he has the capability to use Nuclear weapons, so how do you go about removing that threat.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Apr 2013, 01:32
The North Koreans have just passed this law on Monday regarding nuclear controls
http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2013/201304/news01/20130401-25ee.html

It specifically puts release under the personal control of Kim.

However - there may be a possibility that they just blinked
Look at clause 4
It all depends on what their version of "repel" means. A retaliatory attack only? Or a pre-emptive attack to repel a possible threat?

"calendar>>April 1. 2013 Juch 102
Law on Consolidating Position of Nuclear Weapons State Adopted
Pyongyang, April 1 (KCNA) -- A law on consolidating the position of nuclear weapons state for self-defence was adopted in the DPRK.

An ordinance of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK in this regard was promulgated on Monday.

The ordinance said as follows:

The DPRK is a full-fledged nuclear weapons state capable of beating back any aggressor troops at one strike, firmly defending the socialist system and providing a sure guarantee for the happy life of the people.

Having an independent and just nuclear force, the DPRK put an end to the distress-torn history in which it was subject to outside forces' aggression and interference and could emerge a socialist power of Juche which no one dares provoke.

The Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK decides to consolidate the position of the nuclear weapons state as follows:

1. The nuclear weapons of the DPRK are just means for defence as it was compelled to have access to them to cope with the ever-escalating hostile policy of the U.S. and nuclear threat.

2. They serve the purpose of deterring and repelling the aggression and attack of the enemy against the DPRK and dealing deadly retaliatory blows at the strongholds of aggression until the world is denuclearized.

3. The DPRK shall take practical steps to bolster up the nuclear deterrence and nuclear retaliatory strike power both in quality and quantity to cope with the gravity of the escalating danger of the hostile forces' aggression and attack.

4. The nuclear weapons of the DPRK can be used only by a final order of the Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army to repel invasion or attack from a hostile nuclear weapons state and make retaliatory strikes.

5. The DPRK shall neither use nukes against the non-nuclear states nor threaten them with those weapons unless they join a hostile nuclear weapons state in its invasion and attack on the DPRK.

6. The DPRK shall strictly observe the rules on safekeeping and management of nukes and ensuring the stability of nuclear tests.

7. The DPRK shall establish a mechanism and order for their safekeeping and management so that nukes and their technology, weapon-grade nuclear substance may not leak out illegally.

8. The DPRK shall cooperate in the international efforts for nuclear non-proliferation and safe management of nuclear substance on the principle of mutual respect and equality, depending on the improvement of relations with hostile nuclear weapons states.

9. The DPRK shall strive hard to defuse the danger of a nuclear war and finally build a world without nukes and fully support the international efforts for nuclear disarmament against nuclear arms race.

10. The related institutions shall take thorough practical steps for implementing this ordinance. "

sisemen
3rd Apr 2013, 02:08
From the equivalent thread on Jet Blast but worthy of repeating here

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/captuglydan/561180_301348469995406_1702822371_n_zps63f53feb.jpg

lomapaseo
3rd Apr 2013, 02:18
Just wondering here since my nuclear game board is out-of-date.

I assume that china has lots of citizens as well as advisors in the NK. Obviously they don't want them involved in the young ones tantrums and possible retaliation. So at some critical juncture why wouldn't they just pull them out in a rapid move signaling to the young-one that he is now alone in his playpen.

That move would be seen by at least by the western world as a signal to cool it down as well while waiting for a tactical response from the NK generals to their new loneliness

hval
3rd Apr 2013, 06:27
Kaesong closed.

North Korea said Wednesday it will ban South Korean workers from entering the inter-Korean industrial park in Kaesong, only allowing South Koreans currently staying at the border town to return home

RubiC Cube
3rd Apr 2013, 09:34
Despite all the rhetoric, it's still calm here in the South and this is the BBC's view from the North

BBC News - Inside North Korea: 'It's a mad, sad and bad place' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22003715)

henra
3rd Apr 2013, 09:44
Trouble is one wonders now if China are in the same quandary as the west, you have a petulant child at the helm, but now he has the capability to use Nuclear weapons, so how do you go about removing that threat.

Hmmm, that seems entirely possible.
That might be a reason they don't give him an open slapping or declare their discontent with NK's behaviour. Because it might show they lost control as well.
This whole thing might be part of the settling of the internal power structures in NK and its Gov/Military after the change of the 'Boss'. Probably the wisest reaction is to largely ignore it and at the same time put some friendly pressure on China knowing that even their influence might be limited to some extent at the moment.

Courtney Mil
3rd Apr 2013, 10:55
That Korean Herald is a truly excellent newspaper...

http://res.heraldm.com/content/image/2013/03/28/20130328000907_0.jpg

Trim Stab
3rd Apr 2013, 13:54
Whenever I see the frequent propaganda pictures of Kim Jong-Un in conversation with a group of NKA senior officers, I am always curious to know whether they are permitted to carry live ammunition.

I suspect that Kim Jong Un could be assassinated by his own army. He is closing all doors to back down from the confrontation, and there must be senior officers in the army who realise that there is no other end-game.

Courtney Mil
3rd Apr 2013, 14:47
One of those tricky ones, TS. He will want armed guards to make sure no one tries to take him out, but does he trust his armed guards? Probably not, so he has guards to guard the guards and everyone must know what horrors awaits anyone that tries it on - for them and their families and anyone else he can think of.

hval
3rd Apr 2013, 14:48
Trim Stab,

I am of the same mind. I worry that Kim Jong-Un is placing himself, and North Korea in a situation where there is no where to go, other than war. A problem I see is that, if Kim Jong-Un is deposed, a replacement person may not be much of an improvement as they will be wanting to maintain their level of life, or there will be civil war.

SASless
3rd Apr 2013, 17:53
how do you go about removing that threat.

You pay a large sum of money to some that wish to live in the Big House....and pat them on the back when they move in having done in the young snot upstart!:ok:

Mach Two
3rd Apr 2013, 18:06
CM, nice post. BUT, you post a picture of a yellow car and I'll bet you don't even know what it is!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Apr 2013, 19:32
One of my ex-'s had a penchant for such fashion and a figure to match (CM may have seen her with me, Coningsby, early '90's). The car matters not a whit as you will have zero desire to go out. :E

Besides, she looks better on the back of a superbike.

mr fish
3rd Apr 2013, 19:50
i've been staring at the pic for over 5 mins now and cannot see any car:E

500N
3rd Apr 2013, 19:58
Mach Two

So what is it ?

and where was the photo taken ?

Fareastdriver
3rd Apr 2013, 20:06
Probably a Seoul motor show. The girl is a standard Asian model. There used to be thousands of them where I worked in China.

zondaracer
3rd Apr 2013, 20:28
The car is clearly an Oullim Spirra CREGiT (Korea's attempt at being a super car maker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvsrHlTQOs

Seoul Motor Show is going on right now until 7 April.

Sir George Cayley
3rd Apr 2013, 20:54
Lessons of history. Aggressors misreading signs of non-provocation for weakness. Domestic problems to be solved by focus on external threats. Self delusion of grandeur coupled with a bottle a day habit.

The way I read it is he's spoiling for a fight for reasons we couldn't even begin to imagine.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm almost right.:sad:

SGC

zondaracer
3rd Apr 2013, 21:12
@Trimstab and Hval,

I read that the new leader uses fear and intimidation to keep his top officers in line:

North Korean official executed for drinking during the 100-day mourning for late 'Dear Leader' Kim Jong-il | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222442/North-Korean-official-executed-drinking-100-day-mourning-late-Dear-Leader-Kim-Jong-il.html)

A North Korean military officer has been executed with a mortar shell blast for disrespecting late 'Dear Leader' Kim Jong-il by drinking alcohol during the 100-day mourning period.

South Korean media claim Kim Chol, the secretive state’s former vice minister of the army, was forced to stand on a spot that had been targeted with a mortar on the orders of Kim Jong-un.

The North Korean leader, who took over from his father after his death in December last year, demanded Kim Chol was 'obliterated', with 'no trace of him behind, down to his hair' in January.

dat581
3rd Apr 2013, 22:29
I wonder if the dear leader has gone too far to back down this time. If the North Koreans don't have a face saving exit from the situation they may launch some sort of attack that they think the South and US won't respond to. South Korea won't lose much face by only containing the North as the rest of the world would think that a prudent action instead of nuclear war.

dead_pan
3rd Apr 2013, 22:51
The thing is the NK leadership only really need to save face amongst their people, and who knows what bullsh*t they are being fed by the state media. Most may not even know there is an on-going "crisis".

As some others have predicted there is a possibility the leadership may declare victory when the South and US have finished their exercises. Their generals can then go home for tea and even more medals.

Fareastdriver
4th Apr 2013, 09:10
It is probable that the joint exercises have been targeted by North Korea months ago as an excuse to stabilise their internal situation by descibing it to their people as a prelude to invasion by the Americans. When the exercise is over then Kim can claim that his strong leadership prevented the attack.

ORAC
4th Apr 2013, 09:16
The problem with brinksmanship is that it only takes an error in judgement, or an over eager interpretation of an order by a subordinate, to go over the brink.

I'm not too worried about any nukes, but with the conventional/chemical artillery targeted on Seoul the death toll would be almost as bad.

hval
4th Apr 2013, 10:17
Zondaracer,

Indeed. Do you believe that we should do the same with our senior officers? Would reduce the pension requirements significantly.

Dysonsphere
4th Apr 2013, 11:15
I wonder if the dear leader has gone too far to back down this time. If the North Koreans don't have a face saving exit from the situation they may launch some sort of attack that they think the South and US won't respond to. South Korea won't lose much face by only containing the North as the rest of the world would think that a prudent action instead of nuclear war.

Indeed saving face in the world as a whole might indeed cause a small on set of fighting. I would think it unlikley that commom sence will break out any time soon in the north.

walbut
4th Apr 2013, 11:23
I can remember one of the BAE Brough test pilots, now living in Vancouver I think, telling us about his time with the RoKAF in South Korea. He was one of the original instructors on the Hawk Mk 67 in the early 1990's and spent a few years living out there. Rather wistfully he said, 'There are millions of gorgeous women living in South Korea but they havent got a decent pair of tits between them.'

Walbut

NutLoose
4th Apr 2013, 11:52
As their beloved leader is a avid fan of Call Of Duty and plays it all the time, perhaps the maker can be persuaded to produce the next version involving him getting taken out.

Fareastdriver
4th Apr 2013, 15:12
Stepping outside the area for a bit and having a look at what has happened in the past we have to look at one main subject, Kim.

He has taken over the country as a young lad with no credentials apart from that his father and grandfather ran it before him. He has to demonstrate some form of national leadership and authority to the North Korean people. For this he has one major advantage; total control over the media.

The nuclear test was nothing to do with it. It was scheduled to happen and they were going to accept the crap being thrown at them anyway.

The joint American/South Korean exercises presentented the opputunity. The build up for these exercises could be presented to the North Koreans as a prelude for invasion by the American Imperialists and their South Korean running dogs. To counter this the North Korean leadership, ie Kim, has to demonstrate to any belligerent the penalties for invading North Korea. ie, nuke everybody in sight with real or imagined weapons. The population would then turn out in their millions to demonstrate their solidarity with their Great Leader who has faced up to the imperialists.

Then comes Endex in the south and then Kim can tell the people of North Korea how he faced them down so that Americans and South Korens were forced to withdraw.

Simples. Years ago, albeit on a smaller scale, the Brits used to do that with the Russians

SASless
4th Apr 2013, 16:12
Walbut,

I can with great sincerity state definitively that is not the case.

There are more than a few rather nicely put together Korean Ladies....granted my research was of the Hands On style rather than merely Empirical.:)

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2013, 17:38
There will be no war. I've just found out that the USA is actually a close friend of the DPRK. There is even a website to prove it so it must be true. Obviously not made up by the NK IT chappies, because the site actually looks real.

Korean Friendship Association USA | Korean Friendship Association USA (http://www.kfausa.org/)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Apr 2013, 17:52
3,609 Facebook fans - oh come on, there's an awful lot more idiots than that on Facebook.

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2013, 18:01
That would be because the other idiots are sharing themselves out between the other,genuine, Friends of Korea websites.

Chile/ (http://www.kfa.cl/)

Basque Country (http://kfaeuskalherria.wordpress.com/)

Algeria (http://www.akfa.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=138)

Italy (http://www.italiacoreapopolare.it/)

Bolivia (http://kfa-bolivia.********.co.uk/)

Valencia (http://kfa-paisvalenciano.********.com.es/)

And, funniest of all,

North Korea Elderly Care (http://www.korelcfund.org.kp/)

Which even plays a lovely, soothing, elderly-friendly tune at you.

WTF are these people thinking? I do believe that they are so deluded that they truly think the world is taken in by all this.

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2013, 18:04
P.S. Perhaps by putting those links here I've just raised their hit statistics so they'll think their propoganda campaign is working. It'll be even more of a shock when young Chubby-Cheeks gets his arse seriously kicked in a few weeks time.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Apr 2013, 18:08
May I suggest The Fat One pays a visit to the Basque Region? They're always grateful for a bit more bait now the fishing's started.:E

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2013, 18:21
Actually, that brings to mind a good point, Fox3. Whenever the starving masses see pics of the fat one (The Glorious Fat One, I think they're supposed to say) why don't they think, "Hang on. We look like North Korean racing snakes and we die of hunger, sickness and strange disappearances, how come that fat, adolecent lunatic is as big as hippo and wearing all that warm stuff."?

Why?

Milo Minderbinder
4th Apr 2013, 18:46
according to a South Korean professor on Radio 5 this PM, the fat one is addicted to pizza.
thats why he's fat
I bet no-one else in NK gets pizza

NutLoose
4th Apr 2013, 19:10
Well it's an improvement over his father, he used to munch on roast Donkey..

I mean we all like to munch on a nice bit of ass, but he somehow lost it in the translation.

Kim dines on donkey and says it's heavenly - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/1336661/Kim-dines-on-donkey-and-says-its-heavenly.html)

TEEEJ
4th Apr 2013, 20:06
Courtney,
Meet the President of the Korean Friendship Association - Alejandro Cao de Benos. He lives in Spain, but has a North Korean passport and divides his time between the two countries. He likes dressing up in uniform! In this clip he is seen praising the North Korean Supreme People's Assembly. :ugh:

2iqWx-iwkb0#!&feature=related

He also features in the Friends of Kim documentary 1/8. Quite an eye-opener and especially his antics during the filming.

C76HqPaA6kw&feature=related

Courtney Mil
4th Apr 2013, 20:38
Oh my goodness. I thought I was being totally stupid. There's a line for a quote!

cuefaye
4th Apr 2013, 20:54
I thought I was being totally stupid

Quite - rather akin to one or two others (and only one or two) on here.

WE Branch Fanatic
4th Apr 2013, 21:24
according to a South Korean professor on Radio 5 this PM, the fat one is addicted to pizza.
thats why he's fat
I bet no-one else in NK gets pizza

Does he like this advert?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7320895564_26fb7f4725_z.jpg

They even made a video to go with it:

Minuteman III Missile Launch - California To Kwajalein Atoll - YouTube

Thta'll learn him!

Norma Stitz
5th Apr 2013, 01:49
So, how convenient would it be for the US Joint Chiefs of Staff to polish the INT product on the whole 'DPRK thing' just a little bit more than usual to help highlight the whole DoD budget sequestration nonsense?

Not as extreme as the link below, but....

OPERATION NORTHWOODS: US PLANNED FAKE TERROR ATTACKS ON CITIZENS TO CREATE SUPPORT FOR CUBAN WAR (http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/northwoods.html)

chopper2004
9th Apr 2013, 15:00
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/390452/North-Korea-to-launch-missile-TOMORROW-after-warning-foreigners-to-evacuate-South?%3F

CoffmanStarter
16th Apr 2013, 07:10
OK so BBC Panorama last night tried to give us an insight into NK ... much as expected really ...

Although the absence of patients in a state hospital was a bit spooky !

I have a feeling that Mr Sweeney's military escort will have his career prospects shortened considerably :uhoh:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/4/15/1366039834671/John-Sweeney-with-North-K-008.jpg

Coff.

Thomas coupling
16th Apr 2013, 08:21
A spokesperson in the know was being interviewed on R4 yesterday and she said that as a result of these journalists 'getting away with it', it being undercover reporting/filming; the guides would be removed from society and spend the rest of their lives in one of their gulags and their families would not be allowed to work or get the government food allowances forthwith. For failure to prevent this happening and bringing shame on the state.:mad:

I have a general question for those out there who might be able to shed some light on this 'leader'.

If as they say, he was educated in Switzerland, why doe he not realise that his chosen way is the wrong way? I understand he would like to retain the grip he has over everyone but this can be maintained even if he opens up to the west. He would remain super rich and powerful, even if he allowed the country to 'develop'. What is going thru that young man's brain which requires him to continue like this?
He must realise the forces he is up against and the obvious outcome if he goes to war?

Courtney Mil
16th Apr 2013, 08:33
My guess, THomas,

a) Depends what they mean by "educated".

b) He's barking mad.

CoffmanStarter
16th Apr 2013, 09:09
Thomas ... the best answer I can come up with is that his brain is like Swiss cheese ... you know the stuff with holes in it and if he goes on much longer it will be melted Swiss cheese !

Tankertrashnav
16th Apr 2013, 09:15
The London School of Economics reaction to the Panorama programme, and its attempt to have it withdrawn from the schedules was quite frankly shameful. The LSE has form here. Way back in 1934 two of its founders Sydney and Beatrice Webb went on a fact finding mission to Stalin's USSR and came back totally deluded by the sanitised tour they had been given and wrote in praise of Stalin and his reforms. Perhaps the LSE was annoyed that the BBC was doing what it should have been doing, exposing the huge lie that props up the North Korean state.

I liked the response of a BBC spokesman who when asked whether it was right to "risk" the LSE students by having undercover reporters in their party replied quite unequivocally "Yes".

Thomas coupling
16th Apr 2013, 09:33
Tanker: So let's get this right: The students were NOT told that the visit would be used as a vehicle to film and report unauthorised illegal media. This is stated by Mr Sweeney. All they were told was that a journalist would be accompanying them.
They were PURPOSELY kept in the dark by the BBC.
No big deal...that is.. until the scam was discovered by the authorities :eek:

I presume there are several on here with student age kids. I have 3 of them, all at Uni.

My daughter rings up from London and tells me she's going on an authorised tour of N Korea. The Uni has done its due diligence and all is in order. The Foreign Office approves of the legitimacy of said visit.

A week later, the foreign office rings me to tell me that my daughter has been arrested and is being held somewhere in N Korea on grounds of spying.

How do you think that would make us feel?

In view of the heightened tensions currently - how do you think the mind would wander, worrying about where she is being kept, for how long and if she will ever be allowed to leave the country again?

All because the BBC want a good 30 minute documentary and don't care about how they achieve that aim.

Hmm :=

Tankertrashnav
16th Apr 2013, 09:46
Well I dare say you'd be worried about your daughter, as I would, but consider this.

The students were told before going to Korea that BBC journalists would be going, although they weren't given the full details. Did they think that Sweeney was going on a nice little holiday and he would leave his notebook at home? If that's the case I'm depressed by the calibre of students the LSE is taking in these days. They had the option to withdraw from the trip - all rightly decided to go along.

None was under 18, ie all were legally adults, entitled to vote, marry and all of the other stuff. The decision to still go on this trip was theirs to take and I admire them for their choice.

Thomas coupling
16th Apr 2013, 10:30
They are young students! 18 to 21 yrs old? They are told that their legitimate (government approved/uni approved) trip is cosher and PS: a journo is coming along to take pictures of the visit.
How would you as a parent and in possession of these facts - react about your child attending?

Do you honestly believe that the administration at the LSE AND the foreign office officials sanctioning said trip KNEW about the secret agenda of the journo but didn't bother to cancel the trip due to 'discrepancies' in their cover story?

Do you really really believe all the organisers knew there was a secret agenda by the BBC and kept stum?

How naive can one get?

The bottom line is:

The BBC told innocent bystanders what they wanted them to know and nothing else. They KNOWINGLY led them into harms way.

Outrageous behaviour. :=

Courtney Mil
16th Apr 2013, 11:02
Yes, pretty good points there. To be honest, I wouldn't have been happy about my daughter going there anyway - I simply don't trust Chubby Cheeks and his mad, fawning followers.

Martin the Martian
16th Apr 2013, 11:34
The LSE were complaining that their 'academic integrity' had been compromised. Is this the same LSE that had links with Gaddafi?

BBC News - LSE criticised for links with Gaddafi regime in Libya (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15966132)

I do wonder what can be obtained from a field trip to North Korea, except how not to do it. Certainly, I think that LSE's anger comes as much from the fact that they may not be able to go back to North Korea in the future.

NutLoose
16th Apr 2013, 12:08
You would have thought someone would have told that Korean soldier you're supposed to remove the tissue paper it comes with inside to retain its shape, before you wear it.

CoffmanStarter
16th Apr 2013, 13:56
Hang on Nutty ... I've seen a hat like that before :E

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2011/5/23/1306170972460/British-army-Apache-helic-007.jpg

Coff.

Fareastdriver
16th Apr 2013, 15:01
When I worked for a Chinese company they issued me a pilots uniform. As we always flew in shirts sleeves I wasn't interested in the uniform tunic etc. What I wanted was a BIG HAT; but they wouldn't let me have one.

Mk 1
16th Apr 2013, 22:23
From Thomas C
If as they say, he was educated in Switzerland, why doe he not realise that his chosen way is the wrong way? I understand he would like to retain the grip he has over everyone but this can be maintained even if he opens up to the west. He would remain super rich and powerful, even if he allowed the country to 'develop'. What is going thru that young man's brain which requires him to continue like this?
He must realise the forces he is up against and the obvious outcome if he goes to war?

It could be that chubby cheeks is basically a puppet - being held 'hostage' to a powerful clique of senior generals - who very much realise their power will disappear - who also still have the ideological bent their forefathers had. Kim Jr's has realised that his power will last for as long as he has the backing of these generals, so when they want to rattle sabres, he does too.

Lonewolf_50
17th Apr 2013, 03:18
It could be that chubby cheeks is basically a puppet - being held 'hostage' to a powerful clique of senior generals -

His life must be rather painful, with five different generals' hands up his backside at a given moment. .

Mk 1
17th Apr 2013, 12:33
It may explain his size and the expression on his face....

Thomas coupling
17th Apr 2013, 13:59
Surely, someone like him can easily dispose of a car load of top generals on their way to a summit meeting (nudge nudge).
It does 2 things: Removes the threat and reminds the rest that they are on warning.

Meanwhile he is in secret talks with China about integrating more closely to normality in return for favours, graces and MONEY!

He must be lying there at night thinking - "my country is broke, nothing works, this is all a sham....how best can I reverse out of this without affecting my position as demi gog. :uhoh:

ACW599
17th Apr 2013, 14:15
>He must be lying there at night thinking - "my country is broke, nothing works, this is all a sham....how best can I reverse out of this without affecting my position as demi gog.<

Not necessarily. Generally speaking, narcissistic and psychopathic personalities have no capacity for guilt or remorse. I've known a few :ugh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Apr 2013, 15:23
All together now...."Oh it's all gone quiet over there!"

...almost too quiet.....

sisemen
8th May 2013, 09:36
With the lessening of tensions in the Korean peninsula the North Korean Army has released pictures of its snatch squad....

http://paulboylan.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/north_korean_army_babes_md.jpg?w=450

CoffmanStarter
8th May 2013, 09:56
Sisemen ... It's clearly raining where you are ... I'm not allowed to go out and play at the moment too :ok:

sisemen
8th May 2013, 10:00
Nope. It doesn't rain here - it pours! Currently gusts up to 125 kph and bucketing down.

glad rag
8th May 2013, 17:19
Gotta laugh at the [not so] subtle positioning of the gloved hand :E