PDA

View Full Version : BEagle's impending milestone

CoffmanStarter
28th Mar 2013, 12:37
Some may have noticed that our venerable BEagle is only 22 posts away from reaching his 20,000 PPRuNe Post :eek:

Now ... reaching 10,000 Hours called for suitable celebration (not many likely to reach that milestone in the modern RAF :() But how to mark such a significant event within a virtual community ?

I'm sure there will be a few suggestions to come forward ... hopefully BEagle himself will mark the occasion with some fine words and wisdom.

Here's to the next 20,000 posts BEagle :D:D:D:D

Coff.

Wrathmonk
28th Mar 2013, 12:43
Probably passed 20000 by now......:E

Wander00
28th Mar 2013, 12:46
"Don't shout at me, Mr Warwick!".......I'll get my coat

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 12:52
....and I've got a card ready.

BEagle
28th Mar 2013, 13:16
Not that I particularly donne un merde about silly post counts, but if I recall correctly the whole system was reset to zero some years ago.

Whether or not I happen already to have passed 20000 posts, I know not.

SASless
28th Mar 2013, 14:04
hopefully BEagle himself will mark the occasion with some fine words and wisdom.

Well now....that would be a refreshing change of events!;)

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 15:11
Note:

His "Interests" in his profile is "Keeping bunnies happy".....

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/bunnies_zpsd49b1604.jpg

BEagle
28th Mar 2013, 15:23
You know, LM, I do believe that stuff they put in our tea back in Flt Cdt days is finally beginning to wear off.....

Anyway, Happy Easter to one and all:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/olivia-1_zps1ef985e9.jpg

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 15:44
The stuff never worked with me mate!

I was born under Aries - the Ram.......:E

newt
28th Mar 2013, 15:50
Oh really LM!!:ok:

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 16:04
There you are newt - you jealous sod!

Coltishall '71 to '73 - went through four WAAFS mate. :E

Yes mate April 16th.

goudie
28th Mar 2013, 16:11
went through four WAAFS*mate.
Blimey they must've been bloody ancient!

*The WAAF changed to the WRAF in '49

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 16:16
Ah yes - the 'ole memory.

When I was in the womb God asked me if I wanted a big memory or a big penis.

I've forgotten what I said.

Linedog
28th Mar 2013, 16:22
went through four WAAFS mate

What was the four WAAFs mate called...............? :)

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 16:23
Bedmates!!

CoffmanStarter
28th Mar 2013, 16:27
LM ... @ #13 ... If you had said "Bigger RAM" that could have worked both ways :ok:

Lightning Mate
28th Mar 2013, 16:28
Do you mean 64 gigathrust?

CoffmanStarter
28th Mar 2013, 16:32
:D:D:D:D

OKOC
28th Mar 2013, 17:39
Whateva, a legend in his own lunchbox.

sled dog
28th Mar 2013, 17:44
I think he should get out more........:p

Shack37
28th Mar 2013, 17:48
Thought this thread was about BEagle.........

There you are newt - you jealous sod!
Coltishall '71 to '73 - went
through four WAAFS mate. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Yes mate April 16th.

Only four in 2 years?

Fareastdriver
28th Mar 2013, 17:56
Coltishall '71 to '73 - went through four WAAFS mate

As a mere helicopter pilot I used to kick one off the bed and she would shuffle underneath to join the queue on the other side.

Union Jack
28th Mar 2013, 20:44
Now I thought that this thread was about BEagle too, so I'm rather surprised that it seems to have developed into one for certain posters who seem to be unaware of the old axiom that "The talkers don't do, and the doers don't talk" :E

I'm sure Mr Warwick knew that.....:)

Jack

Courtney Mil
28th Mar 2013, 21:03
BEags, I'll buy you a beer. And I may even cook you something on a charcoal BBQ.

Bill Macgillivray
28th Mar 2013, 21:14
Beagle, I suppose this is a milestone of sorts! That apart, keep up the good work, it helps keep my "brain" going, and for that I am thankful. I remember joining the RAF in '56 and then ........! It must be catching (I did manage 20,000+ hours) but not all in the RAF! Anyway, keep it going.
Bill.:D:D:D:D:D

charliegolf
28th Mar 2013, 21:53
FED:

As a mere helicopter pilot I used to kick one off the bed and she would shuffle underneath to join the queue on the other side.

Presumably they got something extra from the built-in vibration?

CG

Lima Juliet
28th Mar 2013, 22:24
Well done, BEags...have a visual gift...

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Number6pb/Miscellaneous%20Actors/battleofbritain_docsc1.jpg

By the way, is that you asking Christopher Plummer if you can have a go?

LJ :ok:

Roland Pulfrew
28th Mar 2013, 22:32
LJ

By the way, is that you asking Christopher Plummer if you can have a go?

BEags doesn't have that much hair!! ;)

Lima Juliet
28th Mar 2013, 22:38
RP

I know, maybe he was wearing his best to impress!

LJ :ok:

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 04:38
This is a great accomplishment, and your photographs of hot aviation movie blondes of the sixties ("This thread is useless without pictures!") are treasured, especially by those who desperately try to outrace Father Time!

Seriously, your blend of knowledge and humour makes you one of a number of posters here who make this site a most enjoyable way to relax.

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Mar 2013, 04:57
In the great server crash reset of 2000 you had, and lost, roughly the same amount of post counts as I had at the time which was around 2,000.

BEagle
29th Mar 2013, 08:39
RP, hair? Hello pot, this is kettle calling....:p

WWW, yes I vaguely remember that - and the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from some of the PPRuNers of the day....:rolleyes:

54Phan, thank you for your kind words. I think the main difference regarding 'aviation blondes of the sixties' was what the camera didn't show, rather than what it did....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/LS_zps108d1b5e.jpg
Larraine Stephens in The War Lover

LJ, that photo reminds me of my first day on 56(F) Sqn at Wattisham. Whilst waiting for a colleague to return from a trip, I went for a nose around the squadron museum - or rather, a collection of bits and pieces at the back of the briefing room. Albert Ball's WW1 tunic was in the crewroom (the late Bill Rosey had already checked its pockets for spare cash...) but at the back of the main briefing room were a few photo albums, the odd model aircraft....and a WRAF uniform. Not just a uniform, but also some rather fetching lacy black 'webbing'...:ooh: There must have been a story to explain this, I reckoned!

Eventually someone admitted that one of the pilots had donated a blow-up lifesize 'doll'; when going on detachment in the back of a VC10 or C-130, they would sneak it on board, blow it up and dress it in the webbing and uniform to confuse the loadmaster's head count... Or so I was told...:hmm:

Lima Juliet
29th Mar 2013, 10:32
BEags

I remember Albert Ball's uniform well. We donated it to Nottingham Castle Museum as it would seriously deteriorate if it continued to sit in a converted book case (Nottingham was his birthplace with a nice memorial for him in the castle grounds).

Cracking storey about the fake WRAF. The only blow up item I remember in later years was a blow up sheep that wended its way down to 1435Flt in the Falkands...:ok:

LJ

Lightning Mate
29th Mar 2013, 12:21
In the great server crash reset of 2000 you had, and lost, roughly the same
amount of post counts as I had at the time which was around 2,000.

In that case he is now well over 20,000.

Shall we celebrate?

newt
29th Mar 2013, 15:18
We should LM!!

Beags, where is the beer??:ok::ok:

Buster Hyman
29th Mar 2013, 22:45
Add to that the fact that JB posts aren't counted....unless that changed.

Haraka
30th Mar 2013, 09:22
Beags, where is the beer??http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
From experience, that should guarantee a long silence.:rolleyes:

BEagle
30th Mar 2013, 09:48
From experience, that should guarantee a long silence. :rolleyes:

You've just guaranteed it in your case, mate!

;)

Lima Juliet
30th Mar 2013, 16:10
19995 - just 5 to go...

NutLoose
30th Mar 2013, 16:14
I heard when you get to 20k your counter resets :p

CoffmanStarter
7th Apr 2013, 20:54
Virtual Barrel on ...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2009/2/12/1234458937529/Two-pints-of-real-ale-002.jpg

Congratulations BEagle for passing 20,000 PPRuNe posts :D:D:D:D

Best regards ...

Coff.

Wensleydale
7th Apr 2013, 21:09
His "Interests" in his profile is "Keeping bunnies happy".....

Is this the origin of the story of the Wattisham BEagle Pack?

Courtney Mil
7th Apr 2013, 21:29
Here's to the next 20,000. Good effort, Buddy!

Lightning Mate
8th Apr 2013, 07:10
Is this the origin of the story of the Wattisham BEagle Pack?

That was at Coltishall, not Wattisham. An invention of "Dolly" Doleman.

A personal card.......

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/Beags20000_zps3be3b5fa.jpg

BEagle
8th Apr 2013, 07:18
There was also the 'Per Ardua' pack at RAFC Cranwell in Flt Cdt days.

Of which one of my chums once mused: "There are 3 ways of following the pack. You can run after the little buggers, which is rather knackering. Or you can stand at the top of a hill watching them scampering about below you. Or you can sit in a pub and think about them. On balance I prefer the latter option!".

Re. post counts, whilst it is very kind of folks to offer their congratulations, raw numbers of posts alone are rarely an indication of their worth. As no doubt others would probably agree!

Wander00
8th Apr 2013, 08:07
Beagle - congratulations on this milestone.

I too remember the Per Ardua Beagles. I tended to go for the "pub" option as well. Strangely beagles came back into my Service life later as traditionally the Fitzwilliam Beagles held an annual meet on Wyton airfield. As OC Admin I was responsible for the arrangements. Start of my now 24 year old's love of dogs - as the beagles were let out of their horsebox he disappeared beneath them and came up laughing his head off!

Haraka
8th Apr 2013, 12:05
First of all Beags :Congrats!
One story which I am sure you know, is of a 98 entry ( who?) Flt Cadet posting up in the Jnr. Cadets mess, a local Lincolnshire map ,annotated to show the extent of the range within which the Cranwell Beagles were allowed to operate.
Uncle Les Rodda appears on the scene:
"WTF is THIS wot you is posting on the board?"
" Surely you can see Sgt. Rodda. that it is a map of Arabia"
" Course I can F*cking see that , but wot is it doing on the board?
and don't play games with me young sir, Cos I was posted there you know.... Did I ever tell you .........."
Etc Etc.

BEagle
8th Apr 2013, 12:34
Tales of Uncle Les could fill a complete thread, Haraka! As an introduction to RAF SNCOs, we couldn't have had a better chap.

Once we'd moved from the luxury of the SBL and only suffered weekly room checks in the blocks, our loyal batties would ensure that Les' cuppa was well-laced with rum. Which made the room inspections pretty painless.....

I'll never forget how, after we finished our first term, Les came down to the SBLs to see us on our way. Realising that a taxi hadn't turned up and that we were getting King's Cross critical, he gave 4 of us a lift to Grantham station in his own car.

It seems that Les sadly passed away in 1983 at the age of 66. RIP

"Mr Swann, sir - you're out of proportion!"

Haraka
8th Apr 2013, 13:40
So sorry to hear he had passed on, as had Johnny Garbett years ago.
"Endex" comes so soon it seems......

Wander00
8th Apr 2013, 15:21
Johnny Garbett - there was a star. Brilliant CWO. But the guy he succeeded was pretty special although from a very different mould. Who remembers "Parade Attention. Roman Catholics and other non-Christians, Fall Out!" Stony silence................

Can't remember his name, nor what I had for............what's breakfast?..........

Ian W
21st Sep 2013, 00:25
All that certainly brings back memories - while we had 'black' Jack Palmer and his rather blunt ways.

SASless
21st Sep 2013, 01:23
Whew! Am relieved.....read milestone and thought Tomb Stone!:E

ShyTorque
21st Sep 2013, 07:27
Well done, Beags! How many post count resets to zero does this include, btw? :oh:

P.s. get a life! ;)

Navaleye
21st Sep 2013, 14:05
Top notch. Well done Beags.

teeteringhead
21st Sep 2013, 17:26
I do believe that stuff they put in our tea back in Flt Cdt days is finally beginning to wear off..... Au contraire!

It's just starting to work .......... :(