PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew visiting australia as tourist question ?

PPRuNeUser0215
26th Mar 2013, 22:25
Hi

I am an EK pilot and travel to Australia whilst on duty...
But I want to go there as a tourist for a few days and I have started an application for an eVisitors visa.

Pretty much at the end of the application, I saw a message saying that I was aleady holding a Visa to enter Australia (presumably my aircrew visa through EK) and that if I was to proceed further with the Evisa, my original visa would be canceled.
Clearly not what my intention so I have stopped and saved the application but what do you guys do ?
I am Ek, European passport holder and plan to travel to Australia in the next few days for leisure only.

Thanks

wiggy
26th Mar 2013, 23:49
Advice some of us got where I work (European outfit, European passports) when this was raised a few months back was that despite the internet warning in reality the two Visas should "co-exist" quite happily. AFAIK practical experience by seemed to back that up.

Dirigible
27th Mar 2013, 06:09
As a fellow EK pilot I also questioned this when I saw the warning on the application. I was advised to ignore, and did so. I have had no problems subsequently either as tourist or as crew.

donpizmeov
27th Mar 2013, 08:07
Get the E Visa. It is totally different to the maritime crew visa you would have for work.

The Don

PPRuNeUser0215
27th Mar 2013, 14:52
Ok thanks guys. Ignoring the warning seems to be the consensus around based on people's experience.

Safe flying.

jeff748
29th Mar 2013, 23:53
I agree with Don. I do not know how the others have been able to "ignore" the warning and travel to and from Australia on a company provided visa.
There is a glitch in the on-line visa system. When you apply you are told that you already have a visa, and you do, but it is a CREW visa and the system does not recognise the difference.
Trouble is, the Customer Service Agent at the Staff Travel check-in DOES! There will be a call to Australian Immigration right then and there from the counter and, after hanging up, the CSA will inform you that you are now denied boarding because you have only a CREW visa which does not apply for LEISURE travel.
As you work your way up the chain of command there will be a subsequent call. You should ask to speak to the Australian Customs official yourself (so that nothing is lost in the "Mate/Sirrrr" translation) and explain that you have already applied for the visa and been told you already have one (print off the page that says you already have a visa just for good measure).
You will hopefully be issued the correct visa over the phone. I was.
I have gnd school coming up in a couple of weeks so I will bring up this internet glitch with the HR types at the washup.
Travelling on a CREW visa for LEISURE travel is technically in violation of the Company and Australian Immigration regs. Best to not push your luck.

Dirigible
30th Mar 2013, 04:06
No one is suggesting you don't get the e-visa. You ignore the warning about having a crew visa already when applying for the e-visa. Obviously that wasn't clear.

jeff748
30th Mar 2013, 08:39
The site does not differentiate between maritime and tourist visas. Once you have a maritime visa you cannot follow through with the request for a tourist visa as the site figures you have a visa. That's the glitch. You are not allowed to "tour" on your "crew" visa, maaate. There's rules about these things.

PPRuNeUser0215
30th Mar 2013, 08:59
Spoke to FDM and got advice from Oz immigration

You get the evisa (in spite of the warning) and when you come back to DXB, go to the office and ask them to re-instate (or whatever they do), your crew visa.

jeff748
30th Mar 2013, 12:04
Good luck.

PPRuNeUser0215
30th Mar 2013, 14:15
Jeff I ll report back but the way it has been explained by immigration is that:
- By proceeding with the application (evisa), it cancels your crew visa. Therefore you are traveling as a tourist and definitely not under a crew visa (The warning mentioned earlier clearly says that , yes I hold a current Visa -Crew- but it will be canceled if I go further with my application). The warning doesn't say anything else than that.

- Once back in DXB, the company does his thing with the Aussie immigration and the crew Visa is re-instated (or perhaps it is a new one, I have no idea as we obviously never see anything in our passport about it).

Anyway, all will be revealed soon :D :D :D. Beers on me of course... ;)

donpizmeov
30th Mar 2013, 15:00
Guys, from experience the EVISA does not stop your maritime crew visa. The Oz Government evisa web site will allow you to process it. My Mrs has done this many times. No action required on return to DXB

The Don

helen-damnation
30th Mar 2013, 22:38
Ditto (as crew) :)

ruserious
31st Mar 2013, 07:21
By proceeding with the application (evisa), it cancels your crew visa. Therefore you are travelling as a tourist and definitely not under a crew visa (The warning mentioned earlier clearly says that , yes I hold a current Visa -Crew- but it will be cancelled if I go further with my application

That is pretty well my experience of doing this regularly.

I believe the company auto renew your Crew Visa when you are next rostered for an Oz trip, as your status is checked by the 'system'

stealthpilot
1st Apr 2013, 11:15
AMEX
I dont have an Aussie crew visa (never applied at least... ), but got the same message when I tried to apply for the visitors evisa. It said the date of expiry of my current Aussie visa (?) was my passport expiry date .... hmmmmm.

Please let me know how it turns out :)

PPRuNeUser0215
3rd Apr 2013, 06:22
So here I am, living to tell the tale ;)

Same as HD,Donpizmeov and ruserious.
When the warning appears on the screen, proceed with the request anyway and get your Evisa that way.
When I got to Oz, I mentioned to the immigration agent my crew status as well and he said... Yeaah, no worries maaate (or something like that :D).

The warning is misleading in our case and certainly warrants some question marks from the applicant but does not affect us beyond that and has no consequence.

Case closed, thanks all.