PDA

View Full Version : Airfix 2013 calendar, desktop downloads.

Al R
26th Mar 2013, 17:06
April looks pretty as a picture and that TSR2 looks amazing.

Scale Plastic Model Kits by Airfix (http://www.airfix.com/wallpaper/)

I wonder; anyone have their career paths mapped out at aged 10 by Airfix?

sangiovese.
26th Mar 2013, 19:33
Yep, a bedroom ceiling with airfix kits strung from fishing line - glad I never had to replaster it.

from the kit to the medals to a very comfy airliner seat....loved every minute

Pontius Navigator
26th Mar 2013, 20:25
I had all the recce cards. German and British were easy. Hadn't quite mastered all the Jap ones though :)

Used to drool over the superbly carved wooden models in our model shop.

Made the first Airfix Spitfire and Gladiator. More glue than paint.

500N
26th Mar 2013, 20:30
Very nice indeed.

"More glue than paint."

That makes two of us. Attention to detail was never my strong point.

Herod
26th Mar 2013, 20:56
Devil if you got glue on the canopies! :* Biggest I built was the Lancaster; envied the chap who had the B29. Straight from school to RAF, then civil. No complaints.

fantom
26th Mar 2013, 21:04
Have un-opened Hunter and Phantom boxes. I'll get around to it one day.

thunderbird7
26th Mar 2013, 22:38
Devil if you got glue on the canopies!

Toothpaste is your friend....

500N
26th Mar 2013, 22:44
I wish I had know that 30 years ago !

bakseetblatherer
26th Mar 2013, 23:49
I have an F3 and a Fulmar sitting in boxes in the garage, my old jet and my Grandad's old fighter, he managed a few kills in his unlike me!

One day I'll put them together, honest...

Buster Hyman
27th Mar 2013, 03:18
Biggest I built was the Lancaster; envied the chap who had the B29.
Built the B36 which was almost as tall as me at the time. (wingspan)

Pontius
27th Mar 2013, 04:48
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/Redeyemarvel/HarrierFRS1800x600_zpsf7def4e6.jpg

I think someone should mention that doing away with this machine was bonkers :)

I spent ages at Valley making one of these once. Everything was immaculate and I even filled the joints etc. Unfortunately, when moving down to Chivenor I placed my beloved model atop my mighty Fiesta and off I drove. They didn't tell me on the box that Airfix models would be wrecked if they fall upon tarmac at speed (not great speed, remember it was a Fiesta) :{

Hempy
27th Mar 2013, 05:28
I cannot tell a lie, the crowning achievement of my 13th year was finishing a 1/24 scale Mk II Spitfire, complete with folded masking tape pilots harness, mud splattered undercarriage, exhaust burns and oil stained belly. Saw a Mk VIII (VH-HET) fly in the flesh a year later and was hooked for life..

Buster Hyman
27th Mar 2013, 08:34
I bet you can't buy that one in BA Pontius.

BEagle
27th Mar 2013, 08:38
My first was a Frog 'Comet' Douglas F3D-2 Skynight in 1957....

Much 'locate and cement' work then followed, thanks mainly to Airfix. But it took 4 weeks pocket money before one could afford the latest 2/- kit in its poly bag!

But Airfix 2013 calendar - or Hooters 2013 calendar? Tricky choice....:\

Pontius Navigator
27th Mar 2013, 08:51
Made a B36 but really wanted a B52.

Made a P51 once, actually managed to have the prop so it would spin. It was really spinning until it went in to a nose dive at Marble Arch. I was well annoyed that mother would not let me stop and pick it up.

Years later No 2 daughter managed to lose a Cindy doll at Marble Arch too. Bring a brutal father I wouldn't stop either :)

Molesworth Hold
27th Mar 2013, 09:11
From the Airfix Halifax instructions (1960's vintage)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Molesworth/Halifax_zpsf8e823c2.jpg

To my 10 year old mind trying to understand why parts was referred to as male and female and how they fitted together was a little baffling.

BEagle
27th Mar 2013, 09:19
To my 10 year old mind trying to understand why parts was referred to as male and female and how they fitted together was a little baffling.

This mystery was soon cleared up for many of us by those at my prep school who had elder sisters....:8 So we were all well-briefed long before the headmaster gave us 'The Talk' at the end of our final summer term.....:ooh:

Al R
27th Mar 2013, 09:26
A Series 1 Spitfire cost 19p from Davies' in Cowbridge in the early 70s.

I used to put a bangers into jet tailpipes to see how high they would get.

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Mar 2013, 09:29
There's an as yet to be discovered PBY Catalina at the bottom of my father's fish pond. I didn't realise the lead weights I placed in the nose to keep it down would send it down when it alighted on water:ugh:

L J R
27th Mar 2013, 09:44
My dad bought me the first few, and then built them for me......My first effort was a Jaguar (Circa 1972??)...Glue on fingers and canopy, and also the melted nose due too much glue (sorry...cement!)..First saw a 'Real' Jaguar some decades later...
Within a year, by age 12, had the collection of mis-scaled and mis-era 'dog-fight' from ceiling with fishing wire....Lancaster and Saturn 5 looked cool form my bed though! ...

Hempy
27th Mar 2013, 12:11
lightly sand the two halves so when you join them the form a slight gap on the exterior, fill the gap with car bog, sand it down, glue the canopy down with white pva glue and a toothpick (also good for holding wheels)

NutLoose
27th Mar 2013, 12:32
I took up modelling again a few years back, I find it very therapeutic and restful, though of late haven't had time.
Things have moved on since the days of 1/72 and today you can buy big kits such as the 1/24 Mossie and 1/32 B17 with a Lanc in that scale on the way, and in case you wonder how big that is.

B17 and B25 in 1/32 ...

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7371/yan1.jpg

chopd95
27th Mar 2013, 12:32
Proudest was the Sunderland ( with sliding front gun turret and "beaching trolley")
Always had a liking for the Bloodhound kit , complete with Plod and Dog.

Still remember the tearful day when mother announced that she had "tidied your bedroom and cleaned those dusty aeroplanes" - the inevitable damage to gun turrets and aerials remains with me !

NutLoose
27th Mar 2013, 12:45
Sneaks in a picture of one of my models........... :O

This is one I'm doing for an Ex Para who served in the Falklands, base made by me, still work in progress as haven't had the time to finish/ and struggling with ammo for it, 200mm or 1/9th which is about 8 inches tall and made of resin, I just love painting them :O

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/modelling/200%20mm/Falklands/falk3para.jpg

SAS

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/modelling/SAS%202006/sassmall.jpg

:rolleyes:

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 13:23
Nutty ... Suggest you get some strap on magnifying googles as you appear to have developed a squint :E

http://onfinite.com/libraries/972407/813.jpg

Nice models @#24 mate :D

Rigga
27th Mar 2013, 13:34
....I have a 1/2 built Spitfire (1/32nd Mk24) in my Study.

Still building after all these years...

Party Animal
27th Mar 2013, 13:51
Having spent hours doing the best possible job I could as an 8-12 year old putting my models together and getting the paint and decals accurate, I would tape them to the bedroom ceiling using cotton thread.

Then for target practice, I would spin the model into a circle at the end of the thread whilst attempting to blow it out of the sky with my 'GAT' air pistol! Usually, one hit from .177 lead was enough to completely destroy single seaters and perhaps several for Mosquito sizes and upwards!

Still have Airfix 1/72 models of a Dominie and Jet Provost waiting to be made, including the little tins of Humbrol paint. Have had the boxes for over 35 years now!

Guess not many parents buy their kids pellet guns at the age of 8 anymore? :eek:

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 13:52
I'd love to get hold of one of these ...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/5922827883_6a5bda7039.jpg

But sadly the Aeroclub 1/48 Vacform Chipmunk is "rare as hen's teeth" :(

The 1/72 Airfix Chipmunk is pants ...

KeefBeer
27th Mar 2013, 13:53
Not sure if it was a airfix model or an American kit but as a 10yo I built and painted a Saturn V on Christmas morning before my parents had even got out of bed.
One of my problems was that I glued on all the weapons, drop tanks and pods regardless of the type, there was a F4 with over wing missiles and bombs !

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 13:58
KeefBeer ... Yep it was the 1/444 Airfix Saturn V ... I had one too :ok:

They still make it :eek:

http://pws.prserv.net/gbinet.dbjames/saturn.jpg

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 14:11
There is a band of modellers out there that like to build "what if" projects ...

How about this for a ... Shackrod or Nimleton :}

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/JBricknell/DSCF0031.jpg

More here ...

What If Models (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25003.0.html)

Neptunus Rex
27th Mar 2013, 14:24
When I was 14 years old, I built a Frog model P2V7 Neptune. 14 years later I was flying the real thing in Australia. The Neppy was one of the few purpose-designed LRMP aircraft, and a delight to fly.

CatchThePigeon
27th Mar 2013, 14:32
Ooh.. Davies in Cowbridge! They were still going strong in the mid 80s with a splendid selection of humbrol paints. Pickwick Papers in Llantwit was also a mandatory stop when visiting the grandparents.

Living about 3 miles from the approach of end of 27 at St Athan and a similar distance from the departure end of 30 at Rhoose had a significant effect on my already aviation-addled young brain.

Party Animal
27th Mar 2013, 14:45
I built and painted a Saturn V on Christmas morning before my parents had even got out of bed.

Me too! 25 Dec 69 - up at 4am, finished by breakfast. Then went onto the Lunar Lander model which was 1/72 with a 6" plastic disk as the surface of the moon and astronauts too :ok:

Nice photo Coffman....

sisemen
27th Mar 2013, 15:57
I used to drool at the window of Cuttriss's model shop in Doncaster. I kicked off with the Spitfire and, if I remember correctly, was finished in a garish gloss emerald green and **** brown!

As I got better the models went up on the bedroom ceiling pinned with drawing pins. That was fine until the bigger models such as the WW2 bombers and Sunderland when, without warning, they would detach from their support and do a flat spin onto the lino floor at dead of night.

I've had a super-detailed Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster on the go for the past goodness knows how long. I suppose that eventually I will complete it.

This mystery was soon cleared up for many of us by those at my prep school who had elder sisters....

No many people would be brave enough to admit that Beags :eek: Still, as they say in the Hebrides, keep it in the family!

Tashengurt
27th Mar 2013, 16:36
KeefBeer ... Yep it was the 1/444 Airfix Saturn V ... I had one too

They still make it

IMAGE#1

They certainly do! Got one on the go with my five year old right now.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

phil9560
27th Mar 2013, 17:26
I was always in such a rush i never painted the pilots.so i had my plastic airforce with anaemic crews.

NutLoose
27th Mar 2013, 17:41
Coffman, there is a new resin 1/48th Chipmunk kit, not cheap, but its out there, same with the Grob, Bulldog etc, see

1:48 complete kits (http://www.kitsforcash.com/148-complete-kits-8-c.asp)

LowObservable
27th Mar 2013, 18:12
SR.53 and Auster Antarctic started me down the slippery slope. The last project was a Testor 1/32 F-117, done for the kids. The big stack of unmade kits just went to the storage unit.

I'm still nostalgic for the 1950s-to-early-1960s models where everything worked (although more modern models are more realistic). I even got Revell's notorious Skyraider (slide drop tank back and the gear retracts, elevators work the dive brakes) to work...

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 18:23
Cheers Nutty ... and it's WK518 ! :ok: :D

NutLoose
27th Mar 2013, 18:36
Review, build thread and finished article here, why is the serial special?

De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 (1:48 Heritage) - Ready for Inspection - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78268-de-havilland-chipmunk-t10-148-heritage/)

Innominate
27th Mar 2013, 19:09
I'm pretty certain that my earliest aviation memory is seeing my brothers building the Airfix Saunders Roe SR53 and HP Halifax. Shortly after having learned that aircraft with two fins were bombers, I saw a Beverley from the back garden and dashed into the house, convinced that we were going to be bombed...

While I have the greatest respect for those with the patience to build such immaculate, detailed models as those posted earlier on this thread, in my dayif it wasn't assembled, painted, transfers stuck on, played with and broken by lunchtime, it wasn't worth doing!

CoffmanStarter
27th Mar 2013, 19:09
Here you go Nutty ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/Scan101640001.jpg

Yours truly up front with Boss John Shelton (RIP). Taken 4th August 1977. WK518 (prior to her transfer to the BoBMF) ... Spin Check ... 6 left, 6 right ... PFL ... tea and debrief ... great fun a very long time ago. :ok:

Coff.

Pontius Navigator
27th Mar 2013, 19:21
Nutty, if you do an RAF EOD Officer circa 1982 in FI, don't forget the SD Hat.

Evalu8ter
27th Mar 2013, 20:33
I made a matchbox(I think) CH47 when I were a nipper. It kinda worked but it looked a bit bent and wonky when I finally finished it. Some might say I did the same thing to the real aircraft later in life........:}

My favourite models were the 1/48 Monogram range; B17, F4U, F4F, P51 (several...) etc etc. I've got a 1/48 Tigercat and a 1:24 P51 in the garage, one day I'll get round to doing them.....

Al R
27th Mar 2013, 21:13
Prizing open a virginal pot of gloss black paint (G4?!) was like opening a new album sleeve, the same approach on the senses. I get the same sensation when my copy of Octane arrives; that heady mixture of fresh ink, paper and plastic. My mother's duster too, has much to answer for. :uhoh:

Guzz
27th Mar 2013, 23:04
Here's one I'm working on at the mo. Hasegawa not Airfix though!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/guzzler79/SAMupdate03Mar03.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/guzzler79/SAMupdate03Mar05.jpg

Lovely kit I must say.....

Guzz.

Buster Hyman
28th Mar 2013, 00:24
Got a model for my last birthday funnily enough...a nod to nostalgia from the family. 1/32 MkXXIV / MkXXII Spitfire...have some spare time this Easter so might get it going, thanks to this thread. :ok:

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/media/managed/large/047041.jpg

54Phan
28th Mar 2013, 01:39
Oh yes, the joys of plastic modelling! Buying the Airfix Halifax with some money I had won at a public speaking competition, washing cars, cutting lawns, shoveling snow, then taking my earnings uptown on Saturday afternoon, (walking, to save bus fare ;) ), bringing my treasure home, putting it together and impatiently waiting an hour for the glue to dry before its First Flight. I built them with the undercarriage up, to make operations easier. Mine tended to survive, although I had a few friends who would blow theirs up. I remember being gobsmacked when I first saw "633 Squadron", that stirring music, those heroic feats and, of course, those beautiful Mosquitoes! (I also remember this particular 9 year old having an unfamiliar sensation when that uncredited blonde Gestapo officer snapped "Take off his clothes!" and then reached over and tore open George Chakiris' shirt.) To cut this ramble short, I am still building 49 years later, and I too have to thank Airfix for feeding my addiction. I was thrilled to bits when Airfix released their big Mossie.

BEagle
28th Mar 2013, 08:26
(I also remember this particular 9 year old having an unfamiliar sensation when that uncredited blonde Gestapo officer snapped "Take off his clothes!" and then reached over and tore open George Chakiris' shirt.)

54Phan, that SS officer was played by Anne Ridler:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/AR_1_zps292f6094.jpg

"Haff you been ein naughty little boy, 54Phan?"

CoffmanStarter
28th Mar 2013, 09:23
Anyone else becoming a little worried about BEagle ... Over influenced by his Prep School Matron me thinks :ok:

Buster Hyman
28th Mar 2013, 10:12
Mel Brooks - To Be Or Not To Be (Extended Version) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/fCY4rpcMtAQ)

BEagle
28th Mar 2013, 10:22
I'll have you know that my prep school matron was in her mid-20s and really rather gorgeous, Coff..:ok:

Brian 48nav
28th Mar 2013, 10:44
Way back in 1970 (when I was a lad on Hercs), I came down stairs on my birthday really excited about the big present I'd seen my wife leave out for me the night before.

'What could it be?' I thought and rushed to rip the wrapping paper off. As it was revealed my face dropped,'What's the matter, darling?' said my beloved.

'You've bought me a bloody Airfix kit' I sobbed, hoping it was going to be a pile of books or Mayfair magazines.

'The Hercules kit has only just come in to the shops' she said,'I thought you'd be pleased to be one of the first to make one'.

'I hate making things' I cried, and had to explain that the most disappointing Christmas present I ever had as a child was a Meccano kit.I am the least practical person on the planet - much to the amusement of my off-spring.

Anne then had a very happy couple of days proudly making the Herc model. Guess who does the DIY in our house?

PS I do have a model of a Grippen in my study, but only because No1 son was given it by Saab when he was current on them.

TURIN
28th Mar 2013, 10:47
I wonder; anyone have their career paths mapped out at aged 10 by Airfix?

My 9 yr old is half way through her first Spitfire. Hmmm I wonder?:suspect:

I think there may be something wrong though. She's not bothered about the glueing bit but loves painting all the fiddly bits. :eek:

TURIN
28th Mar 2013, 10:49
Shortly after having learned that aircraft with two fins were bombers, I saw a Beverley from the back garden and dashed into the house, convinced that we were going to be bombed...

You shouldn't have worried. You could probably out run it anyway. :E

54Phan
28th Mar 2013, 12:05
..and a couple of good laughs, Beagle and Buster! Maybe we should set up a new thread, "Hotties of Aviation Films of the Sixties". I have to stop visiting this site at work because I laugh too much, my coworkers already look askance at me. And Turin, that Beverley quip was excellent.

To get back on track, it is nice to see Airfix getting into 1/48th scale in a bigger way. They seem to be slowly working their way through the inventory of the RAF and the FAA. After a few early "missteps" (their Buccaneers can make a strong man weep!), their quality is improving. I can't wait to get my mitts on a Canberra or six.

NutLoose
28th Mar 2013, 12:40
Quote:
(I also remember this particular 9 year old having an unfamiliar sensation when that uncredited blonde Gestapo officer snapped "Take off his clothes!" and then reached over and tore open George Chakiris' shirt.)

You must have joined the Royal Navy if the thoughts of him having HIS clothes taken off stirred things :p

Brian 48nav, that Hercules kit was modelled on one that had just come off sticks and despite people telling the said Airfix mob that descended on it to get measurements etc, it hit the market complete with jacking pads moulded on the outside... :=

Even of late, their Dambuster lancaster kit that came with a Dams base actually came with a standard Lancaster complete with upper turret, they had to recall the kit and send out new fuselages to those that had bought it... :O

Wander00
28th Mar 2013, 12:44
Hotties of aviation films - Sylvia Kristell in The Concorde - Airport 79, instantly brought to mind by memory of my the 8 year old (now 40!) seeing SK walking down the isle when he piped up - "That's the lady on the poster outside the other cinema with bare boobies". Entire cinema audience collapses in laughter - poster was advertising one of the Emmanuelle films

54Phan
28th Mar 2013, 13:49
Well played, Nutloose, as per normal :). Thanks for the background on the Hercules model too. It's interesting what can make its way onto a kit. Tamiya released 1/32 Phantoms with BDR patches on them, generating electronic arguments which persist to this day. Monogram released a 1/48th scale RF-101B and included the AMARC inventory number on the decal sheet!

Tashengurt
28th Mar 2013, 16:58
My local toys r us is selling 1:24 spits for thirty quid. They've labelled them as 1:32. Can't decide whether to tell them or buy one? For my lad, of course!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

500N
28th Mar 2013, 17:01
The standard of workmanship from some people with Airfix models
always amazes me.

Good to see they are still around and being made.

Airfix models, Humbrol paints, Commando Magazines, seems a fair few
who end up in the military started the same way :O :ok:

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 02:46
If the box says "Airfix", grab it. They have done Spitfires I and V in 1/24th. They are working their way through the Spitfire/Seafire line in 1/48th scale. Two weeks ago, I picked up, all in 1/48th scale, a Spitfire I which includes parts to build a very early Spitfire with the two bladed prop, as well as a Spitfire XII and a Seafire 46/47. I have hidden them from my dearest because although she is a lovely woman, (who has abysmal taste in men), she probably wouldn't take the time to differentiate between Spitfires and Seafires. She would just see three models of the same aircraft and start organizing the firing squad, or jankers at best.

MAINJAFAD
29th Mar 2013, 10:38
Anne then had a very happy couple of days proudly making the Herc model. Guess who does the DIY in our house?

Did she make the Dog that came with it??

Roland Pulfrew
29th Mar 2013, 11:22
RAF career in modelling?

Well when I were a lad I had big hopes of doing this one day whilst I built the kit (now long since fallen victim to the air pistol)

http://www.scalemates.com/products/img/8/4/1/148841-11669.jpg?nr=03055&company=airfix&name=hawker%20siddeley%20buccaneer%20s.2b

Sort of made it:

http://www.hyperscale.com/images/airfix12050reviewbg_box.jpg

:}

BEagle
29th Mar 2013, 13:55
I still have one of these sealed in its bag - perhaps I'll get round to building it one day:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/IMG_0290_zpscfc465be.jpg

A pity Airfix didn't sell them some 40 or so years earlier...

CoffmanStarter
29th Mar 2013, 14:11
Go for it BEagle ...

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/images/galleries/articles/151-250/5194/gallery_10373/photos_1223375742.jpg

Roland Pulfrew
29th Mar 2013, 14:15
Nice TSR2s Coff. Is that 1 in 72 and 1 in 48? Your builds? :D:D

CoffmanStarter
29th Mar 2013, 14:48
Not my work RP old chap ... sorry I really should have made that clear ... just appreciating the skill shown by modellers :ok:

As to scale 1:48

Here is another favourite of mine at 1:48 (not modelled by me :()

ETPS TSR2

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/images/galleries/articles/260-359/16078/gallery_29250/photos_1265253240.jpg

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 15:22
Roland, if you built that Bucc you are either a good model builder or an incurable masochist! JK. That TSR-2 has been my "Holy Grail" for a very long time, as Airfix apparently released them in fairly limited numbers when they first came out, and over here in the colonies they are as rare as rocking horse manure. I finally picked one up from un garcon in Lower Canada recently, to go beside my Avro Arrow.

In my case, I started off building 1/72nd scale model aircraft, thank you Messrs Airfix and Frog. As I aged, I found that hours of playing with an electric computer at work and just general wear and tear made my eyes not as sharp as they used to be, so I switched over to 1/48th scale. As I posted earlier, I was very pleased when Airfix moved into 1/48th scale in a big way. I really enjoy building RAF aircraft of any era, and I am glad to see more options becoming available for those of us with that particular inclination * Now, if only they would do a Hunter....or a Javelin...or yes, a Chipmunk. They could also do some WW II aircraft. (Blenheim, anyone?)

It is good to see that Airfix are coming back strongly, and I for one welcome it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Friday.

* Building 1/48th scale plastic models of RAF aircraft, Nutloose, just to make things perfectly clear.:rolleyes:

LowObservable
29th Mar 2013, 15:35
54 Phan - I have had the same idea of displaying an as-early-as-possible Spit (the prototype would not be a long jump from an early Mark I) alongside the FR.47. I don't think that there are many aircraft that have absorbed a 135 per cent increase in installed power through evolutionary development.

I will say that building models is a good way to start learning about how aircraft are put together (conceptual design). Between that and the imaginary designs that appear in my margins during long meetings...

Roland Pulfrew
29th Mar 2013, 15:36
54Phan

I don't remember it being a particularly difficult kit. Then again it was a l o n g time ago and back then if it looked like a Bucc it was a Bucc.

As for 1/48 Hunters depending on the mark you are after you could always try this one (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT2708)

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 15:50
LO, you are right, just some rescribing for the rudder balance and a different colour scheme would be the major differences. If I had the space, I'd do a whole lineup of Spitfires/Seafires*. I want to do an early Spitfire from 19 Squadron, possibly the first Spitfire to be written off, the serial number of which escapes me at the moment as most of my references are in storage.

And yes, instruction sheets used to be much more informative about "the gubbins" than they are now.

* Disclaimer, my favourite piston engine aircraft is the Mosquito, my favourite jet is the Phantom, not that anyone cares, I suppose.

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 16:00
Hi Roland. Thanks for your insight on the Bucc. I have spoken to others who have built it and found great difficulty with the fit. I have one in my to-do pile and will engage the beast at sometime in the near future. Somewhere in the midst of this disaster I call an apartment, I have markings for 237 OCU.

As far as the Hunter is concerned, I have an Academy FGA 9 here somewhere. It would nice to have a two seat Hunter, and I feel that Airfix would be able to do it justice. They certainly did a great job on the Lightning.

BEagle
29th Mar 2013, 16:33
It had yet to be named the Buccaneer when I made mine in around 1960:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/NA39.jpg

The folding wings didn't fit very well, the folding radome was even worse. But it was my pride and joy at the time!

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 17:10
Ah yes, Beagle, another stroll down memory lane. I never got the chance to pick up an N.A 39, but you're right. They were our pride and joy. I had a large collection of unputtied 1/72nd scale aircraft, mostly unpainted, and those that were painted had no relation at all to reality!

It so happened that my parents had company over one day, friends of my aunt and unknown to us. The conversation flagged, and finally, in a desperate attempt to break the impasse, mon pere announced "Well, Peter builds models! Show them your collection, son!"

I proudly took them and showed them my collection of misaligned aerodynes, some bearing dabs of paint under the cockpit denoting successfully completed operations against the cat or even other plastic models. (I had an Airfix FW-190D that spent most of its "flying time" being shot down, mostly by my Airfix Mossie.)

The woman maternally trilled about how wonderful it was, whilst the man exhibited his very best "Damn, I wish I was golfing!" look.

Peaceful, more innocent times. I hadn't thought about that incident until this morning, reading this thread.

CoffmanStarter
29th Mar 2013, 17:28
BEagle you must have loft space the size of RAF Cardington at BEagle Towers to keep all these treasures :)

mr fish
29th Mar 2013, 17:30
24th scale spit my dad built for me along with the same scale me109 for a battle of britain dogfight.

the splendid man went to the trouble of mocking up a engine fire in the jerry plane with painted cotton wool and modded the pilot to look like effecting an escape from the cockpit.

after discovering birds, bikes and booze (all at once it seemed), i lost interest in plastic planes and glue.

having lost my son to the same erm, vices plus the RAF at sixteen i now know why my father looked so sad when the planes ended up in the bin:(

i suppose like a lot of middle aged men i would give parts of my body to build one again with me long departed dad........feel sad now!!!!!!

BEagle
29th Mar 2013, 17:34
Peaceful, more innocent times.

Indeed they were. We used our imagination and dubious skills to have fun with our model aircraft.

Pride of place went to my 1/72nd Airfix Lancaster. Over the years it became rather grubby and battered after many sorties in chubby hands...I modified it to drop a bomb with a crocodile-type spring clip from a Cat 5 Christmas tree ornament (courtesy of our Scottie), one part of which was wedged into the slot for the stand and the other could be operated by thumb whilst clutching the rear fuselage just behind the wing. Plus a 'bomb' from some other source, although I don't recall whence. The bomb could be taken apart and stuffed with 'caps' which came on a reel for toy guns. Insert bomb into spring clip, take off on imaginary sortie and approach target making Lancaster noises, then release bomb... Which the first time I tried it out landed with a satisfying flash and loud 'crack!', causing our normally placid ginger (ex)-tom to take to the hills for a day or so!

I can't imagine that today's expensive, electronic iToys are quite as much fun. Although the ginger moggie's descendents might disagree!

And the Lanc's eventual demise? BSA Meteor.....need I say more?

Coff, sadly no. The few remaining models in my collection were sent out to Menorca when my late father decided to move there; soon afterwards they were all given away by my step-mother without my knowledge. So I've only the memories now. Although I still have a 1/72nd Frog Hunter FGA9 in 58 Sqn markings, a relic of my 1976 Hunter time.

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 17:49
mr fish, thank you for that. It was my dad who got me into modeLling (plastic modeLling, just in case Nutloose reads this.) He built the Airfix bagged sailing ships, like the Santa Maria and the Golden Hind, while I watched in fascination. Eager to emulate him, one day while he was at work, I got my hands on his latest project, the "Revenge". Alas, my 7 year old skills weren't quite up to the self imposed assignment. I remember he was remarkably calm when he got home and surveyed the main deck, which his middle child had managed to soften through the application of too much cement! I still got fed though, so he couldn't have been that angry.

I remember reading the blurb on the instructions and getting inspired to research Sir Francis Drake, and I have maintained this love of research and plastic model aircraft even after I discovered "birds and booze."

In my collection of aircraft models, the only outsider is a large Airfix kit of HMS Sovereign Of The Seas, which I purchased for my dad as a present when I was older and got a job paying me better than a paper route. After his death, it devolved to me. (I suppose my sisters couldn't give it away at the yard sale.) I will build it and remember him.

And yes, mr fish, you spoke for most of us when you mentioned longing to build something with your dad again. Remember sir, that memory is life's most precious gift.

Wokkafans
29th Mar 2013, 20:22
Did any of you steely eyed warriors master this Airfix gem :eek:

http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/images/superfd1.jpg

54Phan
29th Mar 2013, 20:47
I remember seeing that advertised, but it just didn't entice me. It wasn't a model, it was a toy.

500N
29th Mar 2013, 20:57
Likewise, remember it, don't think I ever had one.

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2013, 21:17
Reminds me of the one that 6 had over the top table at Coningsby. There were balloons suspended from the ceiling with something in them:} and the phantom was launched on a cord from the ceiling where it flew in ever decreasing circles until it burst the balloons which then disgorged talcum powder over those near by.

MAINJAFAD
29th Mar 2013, 22:19
Did any of you steely eyed warriors master this Airfix gem http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/images/superfd1.jpg

Yes, after my (and Aber Ratman's) father seriously upgraded the rubber band of the catapult on the Christmas morning that we got it (as a joint present). This then allowed the Phantom to actually travel the whole length of the line before turning and gave a decent chance of catching the arrestor gear on landing. (The rubber band supplied only got the Phantom a few feet up the fishing line, and you had to raise the slider on the stick as the phantom left the catapult or it just ended up in the ground in front of the deck) The downside of my father's mod was by the evening of Christmas Day the catapult system was totally U/S due to the extra stress of the upgrade ripping a large chunk out of the flight deck at the front of the catapult.

James May covered Super Flight Deck in one of his programs about top toy's and apologised to his parents on TV for actually pestering them to buy it, as he stated it was in fact rubbish!

Agaricus bisporus
29th Mar 2013, 22:46
Aah! All those forgotten concepts!

Airfix. Creativity. BSA Meteor. Cunning modifications. Bangers. Fun. Inspiration.

And what did you get for Christmas, Willie? Oh! An iphone! How nice, what does it do? Lots of "apps". How exciting....

:\

MAINJAFAD
30th Mar 2013, 01:55
A pity Airfix didn't sell them some 40 or so years earlier...

Rumour goes that back in the mid 60's, Airfix had done the drawings for a TSR2 kit, made a pattern and were on the verge of making the molds for production, when the real aircraft was axed. From what I've heard the 1-48 scale kit has errors on it that are correct on the 1-72 scale kit (the worst one is how the top of the fuselage merges into the wing).

CoffmanStarter
30th Mar 2013, 08:05
As a result of this thread ... I popped in to my local hobby shop in Uckfield to have a look round. I've not been in a model shop proper since short trousers days. The smell was very recognisable ... fresh plastic, the slight smell of aircraft dope together with whiffs of glue/paint ... fantastic !

http://www.thehobbybox.co.uk/images/hobbybox121highst002.jpg

To my surprise a vast array of model aircraft kits ... with many off beat examples like the prone position Meteor ... :eek:

http://www.militarymodel.net/images/large/MP72569.jpg

Introduced myself to the owner ... who turns out to be an Ex RAF Tonka Rigger. His particular passion being R/C Aircraft ... of which there were a few fine examples suspended from the ceiling.

Going back next week without the distraction of Mrs Coff :uhoh:

Coff.

Molesworth Hold
30th Mar 2013, 09:03
If anyone is in striking distance of the West Midlands I would recommend the model show at Cosford next Sunday (April 7th.) Free entry just pay for the parking.

Going back next week without the distraction of Mrs Coff

At this kind of event you witness long suffering partners, who have given up even pretending to show interest, being dragged along to stand after stand of models. Maybe revenge for all those Sunday afternoons in Garden Centres but I would recommend going alone as you won't get that look as she sees how much cash your handing over. If you do make a major purchase keep it hidden in the boot of your car until you can sneak it into the house without her noticing. ;)

Al R
30th Mar 2013, 09:47
Going back next week without the distraction of Mrs Coff http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Absolutely vital.

Model making is great therapy for relaxing, but the thing is, what to do with them now once you've made them? In my 40s, I can't shoot holes in them anymore or blow them up - they can only gather dust. Maybe best to embark on a 5 year project on a single decent subject. But which model?? :{

I collect old exotica car brochures; sad, I know. At a Beaulieu Autojumble, I found a copy of the very first car magazine I bought (Motor). My hands shook as I handed over the required 25p; the same price it cost me then (my dinner money for the week).

Its the same as gazing at old Airfix box covers - my most evocative has to be the Eddie Allen Superfortress.

Roland Pulfrew
30th Mar 2013, 10:09
Nice to see somewhere that still has a traditional modem shop left. Haven't got a clue where my nearest on is.

Going back next week without the distraction of Mrs Coff

DANGER; DANGER

May I recommend not taking credit/debit cards with you; only a certain amount of cash? That way Mrs Coff won't find out how much your (ahem) purchases were!! Welcome back to the dark side, may the force be with you.;)

CoffmanStarter
30th Mar 2013, 10:16
Sounds like a GOOD plan RP ... there's only so much shopping for "soft furnishings" a man can stand :{

NutLoose
30th Mar 2013, 11:38
If you want a good bang for your buck, look at some of Revells later kits, the 1/32 Ohu or HE111 being two. I made the mistake when I got back into it of trying a 1/72 scale kit, they are simple to build, but what was huge in the hands of a dexterous seven year old makes one feel like I have pigs tits for fingers as an adult, just too fiddly.

Or even their Tornado

http://www.google.com/search?q=revell%20tornado

Just google Revell 1/32 scale Ohu HE 111 or Tornado.

Paints these days tend to be acrylics and not enamels, can be thinned with water, if you want to prime it first, a can of Halfords rattle can car primer is good, it's also acrylic.

phil9560
30th Mar 2013, 12:30
Mr fish's mention of model building with his dad almost brought a tear.I remember being bought a model Lightning in about 1972 for being brave at the dentist.And me and my Dad built it at the kitchen table.I'd forgotten all about it until now.

And I'd give my right arm to do it again too !

Roland Pulfrew
30th Mar 2013, 12:48
And I'd give my right arm to do it again too

Airfix (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX09178) are your friend. Or Hasegawa (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HAB15) Or Trumpeter (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU02281) depending on scale and unless you meant Lightning (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AC2215) or Lightning (http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KH80102)

Although I think I know what you meant.

LowObservable
30th Mar 2013, 13:13
Beags - I recall that the NA.39 had folding wings and radome and a retractable tailhook but the airbrake was fixed. Airfix was always a bit random with its moving bits (the landing gear doors were almost always glued in place, even on the B-29... although the nose gear doors worked on the B-24J). That's why American and Japanese kits were a desirable luxury. On the other hand, getting a Lindberg with moving everything and detailed engines to work and look right was a nightmare.

Looking back it is remarkable how quickly - between 1965 and 1970 - most of the industry went from a focus on moving parts to dropping them almost completely and focusing on detail and accuracy.

phil9560
30th Mar 2013, 13:34
Haha RP I may give it a go but yes an important component would be missing;)

Plastic Bonsai
30th Mar 2013, 17:07
The Airfix 1/72 TSR-2 is available again - re-issued due to interest from Japan from a cartoon series which uses the aircraft to destroy meteors (rocks from space). The parts and markings for the TSR-2 are included in the kit:
Stratos 4 TSR.2MS 1:72 (A08012) Model Kit and Accessories by Airfix (http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/aircraft/military-aircraft-1951present/a08012-stratos-4-tsr2ms-172-a08012/)

Airfix have been re-vamping a lot of their series 1/2/3 models in 1/72 :Zero, P51D, Mig-15, P-40, Bf-109E, A-4B, Gnat , Hawk and Swordfish to name a few if you want to get your grandchildren started at low cost.

Revell doing are some fine models recently, Lynx HAS3, Red Arrows Hawk and Typhoon F1, Arado 196 and Ju-88 in 1/32 at very reasonable prices.

At the high end check out the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfires!

If nostalgia is more your thing - you may find an old favorite here: Plastic Kits, Military Aviation Books and Magazines Bought Sold (http://www.kingkit.co.uk/)

dragartist
30th Mar 2013, 21:02
We all appear to share a similar pedigree. I have not made a model since mid 80s. the last one I completed was a PR9 from Matchbox. I added the SRIM that put the RWR and Decca 72 on. I passed all my completed kits to a guy at The Brampton and Wyton model club to do as he might.

The best model I ever made was a Revell 32 scale mossie. that the engine cowling could be removed. Circa 1972/3.

My funiest model story: Following a meeting at FRL a couple of years back we diverted into a model shop in Poole on the way back to Cambridge. The guy I was with was an avid modeller. we had a pile of kits on the counter ready to check out. including a Nimrod for me. probably totaling over £150 squids worth. My mate asked the proprietor a serious question. with that the chap lost it and ordered us out of the shop for being rude. I tried but failed to diffuse the situation

[TMP] "Anyone visited Plastic Pastimes shop in Poole (UK)?" Topic (http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=189693)

Came home and on the advice of the proprietor did a web search. It would appear this guys trade mark is loosing his rag with his wife and customers. How he makes a living I do not know. The shop was an aladins cave. I never did pick up a kit.

Estes rockets were fun.

NutLoose
30th Mar 2013, 22:03
Have the new Airfix 1/24th Mossie in my to do pile, modelzone were selling them at £50 a while back and i couldn't resist at what was under 1/2 price.

If anyone fancies doing an RAF Puma, the new Revell 1/32 police Puma with the large sponsons, and floatations bags, still contains the original matchbox early sponsons, cabin doors, early intakes and the "polly" intakes, so you could make up any version the RAF have or had more or less with a few tweaks, though you will need to source or print decals for it.

As for the Buccaneer......

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/401066-all-ex-buccaneer-pilots-we-need-your-help-beware-big-pics.html

Well still hoping Trumpeter finally put this out, but a lot of the Modellers involved left :sad:

Pontius Navigator
30th Mar 2013, 22:26
I made a Keilkraft Fairy Gannet in 1963, the fuselage was hell with that double bubble. Eventually got it doped and painted and photographed - never got the film developed :)

There was so much wood in that model it would never fly.

Made an Auster once, quite easy to make. Over torqued the engine on its maiden flight; it suffered a catastrophic fatigue failure as the fuselage collapsed.

Most successful was an SE5. Brilliant flyer too.

Guzz
30th Mar 2013, 23:01
My favourite model in my collection so far: 1:32 scale Hawker Hunter "Miss Demeanour". Took me bloody ages to spray that sodding scheme.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/guzzler79/DBF8BEE4-AAE6-487D-9360-9392FDC8EDAE-1182-0000009EEF42EC20.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/guzzler79/B2A304B8-6FDA-4AA2-B2B5-569093C09B96-1182-0000009F072580C8.jpg

Hope you guys like her!

Guzz.

CoffmanStarter
31st Mar 2013, 10:44
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Buster Hyman
31st Mar 2013, 11:38
Hope you guys like her!
Personally, no, I don't like the scheme. Having said that, it is obvious that there is a high level of skill involved in the creation of this scheme & for that, I doff's me 'at!! :ok:

HAS59
31st Mar 2013, 12:13
In 1963 I could just see over the counter on Woollies and bought my first (one and thruppence) kit, a Hawker Hurricane. That was it, Air Training Corps, then the mob, then an MOD instructor and now retirement. My fingers seem too big now and the eyes tire but the joy of bringing the pieces together never fades. Thank you Airfix.

ancientaviator62
31st Mar 2013, 12:27
I recall that when the Airfix chaps came to Fairford to research the 'K' before issuing the kit they used an a/c being serviced in one of the hangers. As a result when the model appeared it was so accurate it had the nose jacking pads on it !

54Phan
2nd Apr 2013, 18:59
So my grade X history teacher assigns us a project, an event in British history since 1900. I decide to recreate the Dambuster's raid, right in classroom 206 at ODCVI. I use a Wellington Mk III cowling to cobble up an "Upkeep" bomb. My grey plastic Airfix Lancaster, bereft of markings but with a top coat of gloss medium brown, participates in the demonstration. I have modified it by gluing lights on the belly. I set up two textbooks on his desk to stand in for the Moehne Dam, and flicked the "bomb" so that it bounced across his desk and struck the target. I put the names of all of the crews who participated on the chalkboard. I gave a 15 minute presentation.

He gave me 9.5 out of 10 marks, because as he said, "There's no such thing as a perfect presentation."

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2013, 20:25
Nice one :)

54Phan
20th Apr 2013, 04:46
You "nailed" it, sir.

This refers to post 86.

54Phan
20th Apr 2013, 05:02
Well, today I received a 1/48th scale resin Sunderland, made by POMK. I can't wait to build it, I will most likely build "Black Peter", an obviously coloUred Sunderland used for dawn anti shipping attacks in the Indian Ocean. Any information anyone has on the aircraft would be most appreciated.

rjtjrt
20th Apr 2013, 05:24
He gave me 9.5 out of 10 marks, because as he said, "There's no such thing as a perfect presentation."
A bit off topic, but I so agree with said teacher. Much better than the current trend to give a 10, or talk of a 110% effort.
John
PS Post 86 is spot on, as you said.

54Phan
20th Apr 2013, 05:40
Yes, I too despise these "participation awards". Let us all embrace cringing banality, eh?

I certainly enjoy reading the descriptions of building a model with Dad, and the wistful desire to sit across the table from him and do it all over again, even after "birds and booze".