PDA

View Full Version : French in Mali

Sun Who
25th Mar 2013, 17:25
BBC News - French troops tracking Islamists in Mali (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21921541)

Thoughts?

Low-flying TTP v SAM risks v SAF?
Approach to management of insurgent caches?

Sun.

thunderbird7
25th Mar 2013, 17:36
I particularly liked the 'unique' French tactic of flying low. Who would have thought of doing such a thing? And that Corporal - Commanding Officer of the Foreign Legion! Didn't he do well?

Doors Off
26th Mar 2013, 10:11
A brilliant and brave fighting force. I had the pleasure of serving with the French as an embed in Afghanistan for several months. Brave and down to earth.

God speed!

beardy
26th Mar 2013, 10:56
Well Thunderbird 7 I suppose you were trying to be witty. Unfortunately you sound like an ungrateful xenophobe. These men are fighting and dying in terrible conditions.

Heathrow Harry
26th Mar 2013, 11:23
i'm sure thunderbird would be a bit more respectful of the Legion if he'd ever seen them in action

Lonewolf_50
26th Mar 2013, 12:17
Thunderbird, it came across to me as Colonel not corporal.
While I appreciate that you are giving the needle to the reporter at BBC, not the French aircrews, I'd offer that terrain masking is a good idea versus a low tech opponent. If they had ZSU 23's and such, maybe not such a good idea.
I was taught some interesting things about intervisibility lines by an armor officer years ago.
I find the application of that by helicopter crews a novel way of using terrain to one's advantage.

thunderbird7
26th Mar 2013, 12:36
Cor! That's me shot down in flames by the experts then!! A facetious comment about crappy BBC reporting can get one into trouble!

What would you experts like to know about the Legion then? Capitaine Jean Danjou? Achille Bazaine? Paul Rollet? Bir Hakim? Le Boudin? etc etc

I thought it was a poorly put together report about a good bunch of blokes doing a tough job in a place most of us wouldn't dream of setting foot in.

Lonewolf_50
26th Mar 2013, 12:42
thought it was a poorly put together report about a good bunch of blokes oing a tough job in a place most of us wouldn't dream of setting foot in.
D'accord. ;)
Or even
Oui, je suis d'accord avec vous.

beardy
26th Mar 2013, 13:34
I thought it was a poorly put together report about a good bunch of blokes doing a tough job in a place most of us wouldn't dream of setting foot in.

I agree with you, but why didn't you say that instead of trying to be funny?

thunderbird7
26th Mar 2013, 16:53
Fun police in charge now then? Humour not allowed? If you can't take the joke...