PDA

View Full Version : What does 'check in' mean nowadays ?

davidjohnson6
23rd Mar 2013, 19:40
There's a discussion on the Easyjet thread about the airline ending airport checkin. It made me wonder what check in actually (as distinct from bag drop) actually means when travelling on a nonrefundable fare.

I recognise it achieves the following purposes:
Allows passengers present some non-trivial-to-forge but easy to verify token to airport security to prove said passenger has good reason to go airside
Ensure most cases of overbooking are handled landside where they can be more easily managed instead of airside.
Allows an airline to comply with Govt passport registration requirements. Clearly a task that ensures an airline avoids being fined by Govt rather than delivering an operational benefit.

In particular, with overbooking algorithms typically being well calibrated (particularly when things like EU261 exist) I don't see how checking in helps an airline much more than the now extinct procedure of reconfirmation.

So what else does checkin for nonrefundable tickets really achieve ?

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2013, 21:50
That you are at the airport and ready to travel.

Those overbooking algorithms have to know who has actually arrived!

Mr Angry from Purley
24th Mar 2013, 06:17
Whats the definition of a "hat rack" thes days....

crewmeal
24th Mar 2013, 06:28
Check in means "Lets see how much we can screw these passengers for an extra kg of baggage"

davidjohnson6
24th Mar 2013, 10:46
paxboy - if I check in online a week in advance , it is almost certain that I am not at the airport and nowhere near ready to travel, yet Iam still deemed to have completed the checkin process. So what purpose have I fulfilled, if travelling on a nonrefundable fare ?

PAXboy
24th Mar 2013, 13:09
Ah, sry, did not know that you meant the pre-check-in rather than check-in check-in at the airport!

The answer is: Almost nothing! My guess is that it allows the computer to tweak things slightly and it might fulfill some requirement by the airport or authorities??

But these are the rules of the carrier and you accept their rules or use another carrier. Are they mostly stupid? To us = yes.

frontcheck
24th Mar 2013, 15:40
Check-in basically confirms your intention to turn up at the gate, anyone can buy a ticket on a flight but until you check-in be it online or at airport the system will show you as booked but not recorded as travelling on the flight.
Depending on the type of itinerary you have (point-to-point or interline) the process of checking-in will also record any combination the following information that may be necessary to travel
Ticket is valid
classs of travel
onward flight connections
valid passport and/or visa
baggage checked
frequent flyer details
special meal requirements
special assitance requirements
Wheelchair requirements (manual or auto)
upgrade status
standby status
dangerous goods formalities (firearms etc)
The list goes on,,,,,,:eek:

CelticRambler
24th Mar 2013, 16:43
But very little of that applies to the majority of EU passengers now (Ryanair-Easyjet).

The "ticket" is invariably valid because it is a reference number stored on the airline's server, there is only one class, no onward flight, no frequent flyer, and any number of inaccurate details (e.g. intending passenger fell off a ladder yesterday and can't travel even though checked in a week ago, mother-in-law bought too much holiday junk and needs to check in a bag, etc) These days, one can check in for one's return flight before making the outward journey so a passport valid today in the country of departure may not be valid in ten days or in the destination country ...

In the past, it was a useful tool to indicate to the gate staff that Passenger X had arrived in the terminal building and would be found if enough announcements were made. Nowadays, it creates unnecessary announcements calling for passengers who have checked in but are not coming to the airport (makes for a useful game to play with children while waiting at Terminal D in Dublin)

frontcheck
24th Mar 2013, 19:37
Maybe not but it still applies to a lot of carriers

racedo
24th Mar 2013, 19:41
It made me wonder what check in actually (as distinct from bag drop) actually means when travelling on a nonrefundable fare.

To the majority of passengers it means sitting at home in the warmth putting in all your details and printing out your boarding pass well in advance.

Some people seem to hold the snobbish attitude that some of our pax don't travel that much and may not have access to internet etc...............How did they book one wonders ?

The idea that people look forward to arriving at the airport to see 60 people in front of you waiting for checkin to open is nonsense.
Then waiting when it opens and are held for ages because Johnny no flier feels its fun to hold up the queue asking stupid inane questions to prove how clever he is. This while all the while worrying as the clock ticks down whether you will make the flight or not.

FR have proven time and again, making people pay for something then the travelling public will change their behaviour accordingly........... I don't remember the last time I checked in a bag, possibly when littlie was in pram.

I don't believe it will be very long before airports will mandate online checkin or pay a large fee.