PDA

View Full Version : c cleaner piriform full drive

much2much
23rd Mar 2013, 13:23
i interupted a driver wipe using c cleaner, and my hard disc has been filled up i guess it over writes the free space and then deletes it , but in this case it has done the over write and left the dummy file which i can not find , and all restore points have also been over written or at least gone? help:ugh:

mixture
23rd Mar 2013, 14:06
I know nothing about the software you name, but for a well written cleaner :

guess it over writes the free space and then deletes it

Nope. Just delete.

all restore points

Yup. That's an obvious point of space clogging and will be therefore be a target for deletion.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Mar 2013, 15:11
So....lets make sure we've got this right
You were using CCleaner to securely wipe a drive and then pulled the plug midway?
Thats going to leave the drive very confused over its formatting. You'll have to reformat the drive. I'd anticipate a chance of even that not working, and you having to low level format / zero the drive and reinitiate it. You're right - in a drive wipe it first overwrites the drive and then deletes. However it doesn't create a file - it just writes random noise to the drive

And for your information as you clearly don't understand.....the drive wipe option in CCleaner does just that...it wipes the drive. Including system recovery files. If you're lucky it won't have touched any hidden recovery partition, but that depends on how the machine is set up.

CCleaner is an excellent product, but if you do something stupid with it, it'll bite you.

Gomrath
25th Mar 2013, 17:50
I think there may be some miss-intepretation here.
I assume that you were actually using the "Wipe Free space option' as documented here:
Piriform - Wiping free disk space (http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space)

Assuming that to be the case, You may want to log a question on Piriform's forum to see how to find whatever was written to the free space that you interrupted.