PDA

View Full Version : Hours building Miami area,help please

pilota-italiano
24th Apr 2002, 17:38
Hi guys and girls,does anyone have any experience of flying from a FTO in the Miami area,where I can rent a C172 for about 10 days in July?

Any info(location,prices,aircraft conditions) very much apreciated!

I have a JAA PPL,which I know needs to be converted,and I will get an FAA medical before I get there.

I have already flown in Florida and I am interested in the Miami area only

Thank you for your time

regards

PI:cool:

GoneWest
24th Apr 2002, 21:00
If you have already flown over here, you should know that you do not need an FAA medical - don't wate the money.

A "search" of the internet should give you prices for schools in the area.

pilota-italiano
24th Apr 2002, 22:02
This sounds like a new thing to me, I though that to fly in the USA an "N" reg aircraft you do need an FAA medical......however thanks for the info ....I 'll see what they ask for on application.

When I flew in the USA I have been asked an FAA medical !

I know I can search the internet for prices(I have already done it) , I am asking for someones personal experience which could help to avoid some places which have a beautifull web site but an orrible reputation!!(if there are any).

Thanks for the reply,

regards

PI

:cool:

GoneWest
25th Apr 2002, 02:47
P-I...sorry if I bit you there....didn't mean to hurt...anyway...

Your original message suggested that you had a JAA PPL and would have to convert it on arrival in the USA...

An International agreement between ICAO members says that a PPL issued by any ICAO state will grant the holder PPL priviledges in any other ICAO state - doesn't work for professional ratings, just the PPL - and there are limitations.

You will be entitled to fly a foreign registered aircraft (in this case, an "N" reg) within that countries own airspace (in this case, the 48 contiguous states of the USA - not Canada, not the Bahamas). The flights must be limited to hours of daylight and must be flown under VFR.

In some countries (I don't know which), you are automatically authorised and, provided you carry your own licence, you can just jump in and fly the foreign registered aircraft. This is not the situation in the United States. You have to get an FAA issued license. Two ways to do this (assuming you do not wish to take the FAA PPL Flight Test and get a genuine, full blown, FAA license).....

CHEAPEST method is to go to "FSDO" (pronounced Fizz Dough). "Flight Standards District Office". Rules of engagement vary from one office to the next - and the reason for this is "9/11" (September 11th).

All FSDO's are Federal buildings - and they are ALL off bounds to non-US citizens (with certain exceptions). Orlando FSDO will accept foreign nationals, with 24 hours prior notice. Some others will ask for just proof of identity and let you straight in - others will not allow you in AT ALL.

Some FSDO's will simply type you up a "Temporary Airmans Certificate" whilst you wait, just a few minutes of a job, and away you go. Others will take all your details and hold the application for 48 hours (whilst tyhe FBI do security checks on you [no, I'm not joking]).

Some FSDO's - in order to avoid having non-US citizens within their doors (Orlando, again) have authorised various Flight Examiners to issue the certificates on their behalf. These examiners will usually charge you for the privilege - cheapest I've heard is US$25 - most expensive US$50 (so far). They cannot conduct a flight test whilst reading your log book - so they charge the fee.

Either way, you will have a "Temporary Airmans Certificate" in your hand - which is valid as long as your JAA licence is valid. The JAA medical is required to validate your JAA licence - so the FAA says "that will do, no FAA medical required".

Next problem is the question of a "flight review". Some instructors and flight schools say you do not need a flight review to 'activate' your Temporary Certificate - others say you do. The last I heard from our office (Orlando) was that you DO!! After receiving your TAC, you should do a one hour flight (the club "check out" will do) and get a log book signature from an FAA instructor before you go off on your own - or with passengers.

Suggest you have a read of....

http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/forpilot.htm

and note that it is written by the FAA.

Have a trawl around the links that the page will give you and you will be able to read all sorts of things about flight in the United States. Considering doing some cross country work, during the flight time?? Have a look at http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html
and it will tell you where the cheapest fuel is. Just enter an airport identifier..start with Miami, MIA, and move outwards (the site will help you).

Today, the site says that the cheapest fuel is US$1.89 per gallon at "Opa Locka" airport....less than seven miles away. (remember, smaller gallons here!! - you will use more of them than you do in the UK). Most expensive fuel.....Miami airport, US$4.09.

Cheapest in Florida, today, US$1.76 - at Okeechobee (always the cheapest in Florida, by the way). Cheapest in the USA, today, is US$1.60 (but I don't know where it is).

That's about it....read the links. Any more questions...ask (it's my job).

Aviation Safety Councelor. Orlando FSDO.

pilota-italiano
25th Apr 2002, 10:26
Gone West ,

A big thank you for all the info about flying in the USA,

Take care

PI:cool: