PDA

View Full Version : RAF SNCO has been awarded the MC

glad rag
22nd Mar 2013, 10:47
BBC News - Afghanistan: Elgin RAF sergeant gets Military Cross (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21895526)

Sgt Roy Geddes, 43, "breathed fire into the spirit of his men", according to his citation. He continued to engage the terrorists despite being wounded in the knee.
"It was absolute chaos," said Sgt Geddes, who was born in Surrey. "Seeing it all erupting I didn't know what to expect."
He explained: "This isn't just for me. It is for the whole team. I couldn't have asked any more of them on that night."

:ok:

Airborne Aircrew
22nd Mar 2013, 11:35
Let's be quite clear...

Sergeant Geddes is an RAF Regiment SNCO...

Per Ardua... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tinribs
22nd Mar 2013, 11:42
Well done that man obviously someone to be respected, nice to know there are still some real men about in the RAF not just the army

We used to call the RAF Regiment blockes Rock Apes, not sure why but it was the custom. It was never said as derogatory more affectionate teasing. Do they still do that?.

MSOCS
22nd Mar 2013, 11:54
I believe it is an affectionate term coined from the RAF Regiment's association with RAF Gibraltar (and Gib in general), who's prominent rock is adorned rather uniquely with many Barbary Apes.

oldmansquipper
22nd Mar 2013, 12:18
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well done Sarge!

(And the rest of your team)

Wander00
22nd Mar 2013, 12:39
Very, VERY well done. Now with an airman with an MC, and a sailor with an AFC, we just need a soldier with a DSC!

Tankertrashnav
22nd Mar 2013, 13:26
Very, VERY well done. Now with an airman with an MC, and a sailor with an AFC, we just need a soldier with a DSC!

Has already happened Wander 00 - read post #9, although WO Phillips is long retired.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/510839-afc-royal-navy-pilot.html

When I was a rockape there were a few officers serving who had picked up the MC in Aden, etc, and we did have a wing commander who sported the ribbon of the Military Medal which he had won as a corporal at Anzio!

Very well done Sgt Geddes :ok:

Cows getting bigger
22nd Mar 2013, 14:00
Boring sad ex-military type here.

Whilst I truly applaud the award to Sgt Geddes and the kudos for the RAF Regiment, this honour is one of many.

I am deeply proud to see that despite the constant financial, business and political pressure, we have armed forces which are full of men and women who are extremely brave, loyal, driven and decisive.

It is only once you have left the Services that you truly realise what a first-class bunch of people you have left behind.

Union Jack
22nd Mar 2013, 14:41
A big Bravo Zulu to Sergeant Geddes, Lieutenant Commander Sweeney and all the others recognised in the latest list of awards.:ok::ok:

Jack

PS Cows - Not being cheeky, especially in view of your very positive paras 3 and 4 , but may I suggest that you check the true meaning of "plethora"

Tinribs
22nd Mar 2013, 20:02
I think I recall as LRDG/SAS chap being given an Air Force Cross in North Africa during WW2. When asked how come the answer was because he has destroyed more enemy aircraft than any of our fighter pilots