PDA

View Full Version : Medals to NOK

clunckdriver
21st Mar 2013, 19:38
I have a request for any one with some inside gen on how to obtain medals earned by a serving officer so they can be presented to the next of kin. Here is the story, in 1944 a Halifax was shot down over France, some crew survived, evaded or were wounded and made POW, one was killed. The crew member who was killed had a wife who gave birth after his death, I have been helping this "child" {now 69 years old}to trace what took place in those grim years as untill last year she had no information about him being a bomber pilot or what took place in those dangerous skies, you see a brother of mine was one of the survivors so I feel duty bound to help, however Im out of my depth in the field of awards and medals.If there is ANYONE out there that can walk me throught the process of obtaining these madals {I hear there is at last a Bomber Command Medal} plese PM me so I can send you my email and pass the information on to this lady, thanks in advance!Clunck.

scarecrow450
21st Mar 2013, 20:02
Good evening Sir, I am not an expert but hopefully this site may be of some help.

Claiming for campaign medals (http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html)

I am sure the experts on Pprune will help you more.

November4
21st Mar 2013, 22:02
I assisted my father in claiming his father's war medals. It just took a letter to the address in Scarecrow's links asking them to check what medals he was entitled to and if they had been issued. Include his service number if known.

It took a couple of months but he got 2 medals in the post along with the ribbons. I was at the closed secret Wilts airbase at the time and spoke nicely to the tailor who mounted the medals for us.

Wander00
21st Mar 2013, 22:34
Where in France? RAFA Sud Ouest France frequently attend memorial ceremonies at wartime crash sites to represent the RAF

clunckdriver
22nd Mar 2013, 20:03
To those who have been so helpfull with this quest, THANK YOU!

Pontius Navigator
22nd Mar 2013, 21:33
Clunk, you will need the NOK to sign any application. Obviously if the medals were previously issued then you cannot get replacements issued, you would have to purchase replicas.

WW2 medals issued to British personnel were not, I believe, inscribed whereas those issued to Commonwealth personnel may well be - my uncle in Australia had his inscribed with name etc.

clunckdriver
22nd Mar 2013, 23:08
Pontius, thank you for this information, but I will not be involved in the application , the widow of the pilot did not recieve any of her husbands well deserved medals, his daughter, born after his death, will be doing this. Thanks to the good folks on PPrune she now has all the information she needs to obtain his decorations , doing the research to find the facts about his death, has for me, been a humbling experience.Thank you all again!