PDA

View Full Version : CTC vs Oxford

train2fly
21st Mar 2013, 12:45
Hi all, first time poster here!

I have been accepted into both Oxford Academy and CTC, both integrated courses. I am having huge difficulty in deciding between the two. I am well aware that there are similar threads on here, but they always seem to go off on some tangent about money etc.

I know CTC have the connections with easyjet, and Oxford with Ryanair, I was wondering if there were any cadets from either school with any guidance on the schools and post course information?

As I say I really don't want to hear about it being a waste of money or a different route. These are the two schools I have chosen, I just wish for some helpful guidance as I am completely torn!

I hope someone can help!!

Northern Monkey
21st Mar 2013, 18:51
I assume what you are talking about is going to CTC or Oxford as a self sponsored student not affiliated with an airline. So the first thing is, have you considered waiting for the next chance to apply for the BA future pilot programme? See British Airways Future Pilot Programme (http://www.bafuturepilot.com/)

I recently met a student who had just graduated from Oxford. He had applied for and subsequently failed the Ryanair selection. He said you only get one chance at Ryanair and as such he was basically without any hope at the moment as Oxford were unable to offer him any help. He'd sent applications everywhere and heard nothing. Others will be better placed to comment but it sounds to me that if you are a self sponsored student at Oxford with no airline involvement in your training, it is Ryanair or bust at the moment.

CTC on the other hand will place you in their holding pool once you finish training and the chances are you will eventually get a flexicrew contract working for easyJet. You might get lucky and only have to wait a matter of weeks, others have waited months/years. It really depends on the market when you graduate.

train2fly
22nd Mar 2013, 15:41
Yes I applied to the BA scheme in Dec 2012 but was unsuccessful, so went down this route.

That's some very helpful information about Oxford-I have asked someone I know who went there and he seemed to think that after a few months of graduating help from Oxford seems to drop significantly, whereas CTC, as you say, you remain in their pool until, fingers crossed, something becomes available.

Username99
3rd Feb 2015, 20:50
Hi Train2fly,
It has been some time since you originally posted, and id be interested to hear which company you chose in the end and why?
Also how is/was training with that company?
I am coming up to the point now where i will start to apply to CTC and Oxford and would be very grateful for for any additional information that they may not have mentioned in their brochures or on their open days

byrondaf
6th Feb 2015, 08:16
Username99, I'm currently at CTC in NZ soon coming up to CPL. Anything in particular you want to know?

As far as training goes, I think the standard is similar across OAA/CTC/FTE. I think the big question is always employment at the end of it. There are a lot of rumours etc, and Northern Monkey has summed it up re OAA-RYR and CTC-EZY. I applied to OAA and CTC and based on potential employment at the end of it, think I will end up glad I chose CTC.

Jwscud
6th Feb 2015, 08:33
CTC are apparently now also placing cadets with Ryanair.

average-punter
6th Feb 2015, 09:37
Jwscud - I've heard this too but not had it confirmed. The biggest issue with CTC is the rumour mill, I find employing the strategy of treating everything you hear as bulls:mad:t until proven otherwise works fairly well.

There's at least one guy who's just been hired by Thomas Cook recently too.

I've not had any experience of the hold pool but it seems like there is some movement recently. I would still choose CTC over OAA any day as I believe your position for employment after is far stronger. Obviously the FPP is coming up soon!

Jwscud
6th Feb 2015, 17:00
It is a fact that CTC has asked people in the pool whether they want to apply to FR. It is also a fact that they will be doing the Type Rating in CTC sims. What I don't know is whether any of them have yet been taken on by the Borg.

Alex Whittingham
6th Feb 2015, 22:23
Presumably they have to pay for type rating?

byrondaf
7th Feb 2015, 01:59
I've not had any experience of the hold pool but it seems like there is some movement recently. I would still choose CTC over OAA any day as I believe your position for employment after is far stronger. Obviously the FPP is coming up soon!

There has been a lot of movement in the hold pool recently. Quite a lot of FPP/EZY/QR guys training recently which has helped to keep the pool lower. Average time is around 3-6 weeks for EZY atm. Graduating between April and October seems to give the shortest waiting time. Some guys only waiting a week or so...flybe are also to start taking wings cadets.

Presumably they have to pay for type rating?

Rumour has it yes...just like a contribution is required for EZY TR, but nothing CONFIRMED by anyone we know. yet.