PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Wifi

pudoc
20th Mar 2013, 20:20
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro which I've never had an issue with.

One of my relatives was using the Wifi on a bog standard Dell laptop only about 10 meters away from the router, albeit through a wall. They had no issues connecting but my beloved Macbook had no hope in hell on the connection. The option is there to connect but it returns a time out error. But if I walk 1 meter closer it connects no problems.

I thought all laptops had a pretty standard Wifi aerial so I'm curious as to why my Macbook can find the network and return 3 bars but it times out unless I get a little closer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Mar 2013, 21:13
for want of a more technical description......I've seen several times a situation where a single Dell laptop will drown out the wifi signal to all other devices on a network.
I don't know how it does it - but I guess theres a flaw in the drivers which somehow allows uncontrolled broadcast signal strength to block the others???

mixture
20th Mar 2013, 23:24
Does sound like intereference. What happens when their laptop is turned off ?

What version of OS X are you running ? Is it all up to date on software updates ?

What WiFI router do you have ? Is it all up to date on software updates ?

A 2011 MacBook should be somwhat better than its predecessors as Apple put a new WiFi chipset into there alongside a new RF design.