PDA

View Full Version : IPad and Goodreader and Dropbox

beerdrinker
20th Mar 2013, 11:05
Can somebody explain to me who to download a folder from Dropbox to Goodreader on an IPad Mini.

I have done it. You touch a download icon/button on Dropbox, up comes a question of where you want it down loaded, you click Goodreader as the answer and the folder is downloaed as a zip file. You click on it in Goodreader and it unzips.

You can tell from that that I have done it once, but I can't remember what icons I touched on Dropbox so I am requesting a reminder.

Many thanks,

BD

mutt
20th Mar 2013, 16:29
There are two ways of doing this, the 1st is to click on the document in your Dropbox APP, the document will open, then if you click in the top right you will find OPEN IN, select Good reader.

The 2nd way is to sync good reader with your dropbox account, so anytime that you update the document in dropbox, you can sync it in Good Reader.

Mutt

beerdrinker
21st Mar 2013, 06:37
Mutt,

Thanks for that, but I am trying to move a complete folder across. I know it is possible because I have done it - just cannot remember how. I have been forced down the Apple Ipad route as their are a number of apps I want to use that are not available on Android. I am an Apple Ignoramus hence my plea for help.

Basically I am trying to use the Mini as a EFB for my light aircraft. I have moved a folder called "N1234 Documents" across. This folder contains a number of pdf files eg "C of A" and "C of R" which I can view individually.

I am now trying to move across two more Folders - "Manuals" (containing all the avionics manuals etc as individual pdf files) and "FAA AFM" (containing the various chapters of the AFM and some Supplements as individual pdf files)

Cheers,

BD

Gonzo
22nd Mar 2013, 16:44
beerdrinker,

The details are in the Goodreader help section. Load the app, then hit the '?' button on the bottom, then 'How to' in the help, then select the 2nd topic "How do I.......automatically sync files and folders to remote servers?"

beerdrinker
23rd Mar 2013, 10:09
Gonzo,

Many thanks. I followed the instructions and down loaded the two folders. It was not the way I did it before (that was using DropBox) but your method worked without a zipping so I am very grateful.

Cheers,

BD

Gonzo
23rd Mar 2013, 10:15
No problem, I've found this function invaluable.

Now, if only work IT policy could allow DropBox!

By the way beerdrinker, there is someone who has converted the UK AIP to WebDAV format which can be synced with GoodReader in the same way......someone might do the same with the US AIP, assuming you're in the US...

beerdrinker
23rd Mar 2013, 12:15
No Gonzo, Europe flying an N registered aircraft

Don Coyote
23rd Mar 2013, 18:02
I have found PDF Expert by Readdle and Documents, also by Readdle to be a much better interface and much easier to use. PDF Expert has the same functionality as Goodreader whereas Documents is more of a viewer.

Gonzo
23rd Mar 2013, 20:49
Don,

Can PDF Expert handle .doc, .xls, .ppt and other popular formats?

Don Coyote
24th Mar 2013, 09:14
Gonzo, it will view those formats but not allow editing. I have no interest in the company, it is just that I found the interface much easier on the Readdle products and the functionality for PDFs much the same.

Gonzo
24th Mar 2013, 17:27
Thanks for that, will have a think. I agree the interface for GoodReader isn't the best, but I know it very well and use it every day, so there's a friction for me changing over.

Also, I've looked at the website, but it's not clear, can it sync with servers other than DropBox, such as Box.net etc?

It's a real shame that Apple doesn't allow trial periods for software, otherwise I'd install it straight away.

Don Coyote
25th Mar 2013, 08:56
Gonzo, Documents by Readdle was free for a while, if it still is then it will let you see the interface as it is very similar to PDF Expert. Documents allows you to highlight text and make bookmarks only whereas PDF Expert allows you to add signatures, add and remove pages, add notes, text, stamps, symbols etc.

As for syncing, PDF expert syncs with the following:
Dropbox, Google Drive, SkjyDrive, Sharefile, Sugar Sync, Box, Office 365 SharePoint and Oxygen Cloud. In addition it will let you set up other WebDAV servers, FTP and SFTP Servers.

Gonzo
25th Mar 2013, 11:00
Thanks Don, I'll try it.