PDA

View Full Version : Best/fastest place to study ATPLs UK?

FlyingDumbells
20th Mar 2013, 06:58
Hi.

I am on the verge of begining the procedures in converting my license from CASA to EASA, starting after my IR renewal in April.

As soon as that is done I will have 12 months to complete me ATPL subjects and get the CPL and IR conversion finished, as you need a valid instrument rating to avoid having to do a full MEP IR course.

I am wondering what the majority of you with the experience, think is the best place to do the ATPLs, I have the time to do it full time also. From my research BGS has a great reputation, but the time to do it in advertised is close to the 12 month bracket I have set for it all. Anyone here, who went to BGS do it in 6 months?

There is also 'flying time aviation' which says it would knock them off in 21 weeks and on here has decent reviews as does BCFT.

I am undecided on weather full time or distance learning would be a better way of ensuring good passes in the exams, does anyone know what the full time Ground school pass rate as opposed to Distance learning, is like?

zondaracer
20th Mar 2013, 07:02
I finished BGS in 6 months, so did a few of my friends. One friend even finished in 5 months.

schweizer2
20th Mar 2013, 07:18
I highly recommend BGS and BCFT, you cannot go wrong with both!

FlyingDumbells
20th Mar 2013, 08:27
Thanks for your reply Zonda, good to hear it is achievable in that time frame, although maybe you are just a genius :8. How much study time did you put in per week? How long does it take to receive results after exams? In Australia it was computer based and so it was instant.

paco
20th Mar 2013, 11:23
6 months would be studying 6 hours per day, allowing for exams, etc.

It takes around two weeks to get the results in UK. Ireland has computer based exam questions, though I don't know yet how long they take to tell you the results.

mackey
23rd Mar 2013, 08:43
Guys,

It all seems great to get the ATPL's out of the way, but I hate to say it, but the faster you go through training the faster you accumulate the debt and the faster you get to the back of the queue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thats whats happening in the industry at the moment.

zondaracer
23rd Mar 2013, 12:12
Well I definitely didn't have much of a social life during those six months.

GusHoneybun
23rd Mar 2013, 12:55
If you want to get it all done in 6 months or so, go full time.
Unless you are very disciplined, staying motivated whilst distance learning intensively for 6 months is very difficult. However, with full time, you have a classroom structure and timetable, which makes it easier to get your arse out of bed in a morning and get learning.
Can't help you with your choice of school. Most are quality enough to teach you to the levels required. The one that is closest to where you live is where I would start my search.

chorse
24th Mar 2013, 00:39
Bristol-great teachers and course and I got it all done in 6 months with Self Study at home (whilst working part time). Its hard work, but plenty of interesting reading :ok:

Transsonic2000
24th Mar 2013, 01:42
If you want to get it all done in 6 months or so, go full time.
Unless you are very disciplined, staying motivated whilst distance learning intensively for 6 months is very difficult.Absolutely true!!!! When you wanna get it done in minimum time, I highly recommend a full time course. But still, don't underestimate the effort and time you must devote to get it done in only 6 month, it's tremendous!