PDA

View Full Version : Professionals / Sweeny

You want it when?
24th Apr 2002, 14:51
So whilst we're timewarped to the 80's - how about going back a few weeks more. The Professionals or The Sweeny?

Proffessionals - Great car chases, bombed out buildings, smug looks, poodle hair. Lousy acting by the bit players.

Sweeny - Crap car chases, bombed out buildings, gritty realism, lank hair.

Got to admit I love 'em both, YWIW junior likes the Proffessionals or the BangBang show as he calls it - kinda hard to explain the plot (WHAT PLOT) to a three year old ;)

Loki
24th Apr 2002, 20:06
My wife has/had a thing about Lewis Collins. Plus, she only went out with me because I had a Ford Capri.

Simple, Professionals every time.

Grainger
25th Apr 2002, 00:04
"Cor Guvner he fumped me on the hooter !"

Gotta be the Sweeney - everything was brown, and they had more semi-naked tarts..... ;)

Shadowpurser
25th Apr 2002, 08:44
There can be only one...........

THE SWEENY!!!!

When you've got dialogue like:

BAD GUY (looking cocky) - "Who are you!!!!!?"

JOHN THAW - "We're THE SWEENY...and we haven't had any dinner!!!!!":eek:

Doesn't get any better than that.

djk
25th Apr 2002, 08:53
get yer trousers on, yer nicked!!!

G SXTY
25th Apr 2002, 12:24
“Cover ‘em up darlin’. You’re putting me off me breakfast.”

It has to be the Sweeney. The Professionals was good, but always just a bit tongue in cheek. The Sweeney was groundbreaking and totally realistic. Coppers not always getting their man, or taking bungs – it made a bit of a change from Dixon of Dock Green.

Try www.thesweeney.com to find out about those shoes in the opening credits . . .

Mishandled
25th Apr 2002, 12:30
Was it Jenny Agutter that went topless on the Sweeney? (which was miles better than the Professionals IMHO). Shaaaaaaaat it!

G SXTY
25th Apr 2002, 12:39
Blimey, I don't remember that - and my memory is pretty good with these sort of things. :)

However, Linda Bellingham (she of the Oxo family) did reveal all in one of the film versions of the Sweeney. Recommended viewing. :eek:

jfe117
25th Apr 2002, 17:38
Voted for the Sweeny, just for the dialogue;
Shut-up you slaaag!!!! That's bang out of order!!!!

Professionals shot-up my old school in "Fox Hole on the Roof", :D ..........NICE!!!!!

Mishandled - rent American Werewolf in London for Jenny!!;)

Jet Dragon
26th Apr 2002, 02:24
Yeah - the Sweeny gets my vote too - spot the bad guy cos he's the one driving an old Jag!!!

(Kinda ironic that when you consider Inspector Morse's steed!!)

But - while we're talking of really weird stuff

How about "Department S" - Jason King and all that - all Flairs and Bubble Cuts - and mincing walks (or was that because of the skin tight fit of the pants??)

or

"Randle & Hopkirk (Deceased)" Jeff-Jeff

or

"The Avengers" (the proper one with Diana Rigg)

or

"The Champions"

all classic TV

Cheers

JD

:) :) :) :) :)

DuckDogers
26th Apr 2002, 04:29
You've got me all in a muddle now so all i shall say is,

"Stop Shouting!"

"I can't!"

Thinking about it Capris win i suppose?

G.Khan
26th Apr 2002, 04:59
Best police series ever IMHO was Hill Street Blues, great theme music too.

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Apr 2002, 10:28
Sorry but Bodie and Doyle were the best - more shooters plus Cowley was hard as nails. And that opening sequence - just how often did Capris get driven out of plate glass office block windows in the 70's..?!?

G SXTY
26th Apr 2002, 11:50
Ah yes, but what about Mk1 Granadas chasing Mk2 Jaguars round bomb sites? Surely nothing beats that for hardness.

Then again, Cowley did have a phone in the arm rest of his Granada, which was pretty cool. :cool:

WeatherJinx
26th Apr 2002, 11:58
Shut it, Carter ....

:D