PDA

View Full Version : Wedding flight -Is this legal under PPL(H)?

RotorHorn
24th Apr 2002, 13:31
Hi guys, I've already asked the CAA directly about this to cover my back, but I assume there still contemplating there answer (no news yet). Can I ask for your considered opinions...

A third party has emailed me asking if I would fly him and his bride on their wedding day from the church to the reception. (about 1 mile apart!).

I've pointed out to him (and the CAA) the following :-
- I'm a PPL not a CPL so he can't 'hire' me to perform the flight.
- I AM willing to do the flight just for the experience of it, if he will cost share the aircraft hire - i.e. I'd hire the aircraft (Self fly hire) and pay for it. He can then split it three ways with me (I'll pay one third, his wife and him pay a third each).
- I've discussed the draw backs of VFR flight (need for a plan B if the Wx goes crap), the requirements for landing and takeoff areas and restrictions (I've checked these out and they look ok), etc. etc.

I've been as open and honest about this with him and the CAA as I can, and tried to approach this from as 'professional' stand point as possible.

The bottom line is.. is this legal under the terms of my PPL(H)?

As I say, I'm awaiting confirmation from the CAA as I believe it is legal, but in the meantime I wouldn't mind knowing your opinions...

Nick Lappos
24th Apr 2002, 14:43
FAA has always allowed shared expenses, and your plan would be entirely acceptable to them.

Does the couple want to get married in the States? ;-)

Flying Lawyer
24th Apr 2002, 17:29
A PPL is entitled to accept a contribution from passengers towards the direct cost of the flight , provided:
(1) there are no more than 4 pob
(2) the pilot's contribution to the cost of the flight is at least the equivalent of his proportion of the pob. ie If there are 3 pob, the pilot must pay at least 1/3 etc
You are not allowed to accept a contribution towards positioning costs to the Church and from the hotel.

I apologise in advance for what follows if you are experienced at flying into private sites - I'm simply trying to avoid meeting you professionally! ;)
Check BOTH sites out very carefully on the ground (and ideally from the air) before you do the flight. Look for potential hazards.
Obtain PRIOR permision from the occupiers of BOTH sites, preferably in writing.
Make sure that there will be a clear approach as well as a safe landing area. (People sometimes forget to check the approach.)
Look out for open windows / light materials which may be blown about by your downwash.
Even if you've been assured the sites will be cleared for you, make sure you do a full recce before you go in.

Remember:
This type of flight is usually carried out by professional pilots who are used to assessing potential hazards. If anything goes even slightly wrong, the descriptions the anti-helicopter brigade will give the CAA investigators will make it seem like a horrific event, they thought they were going to die etc etc - as one very experienced and competent PPL found out to his great cost only recently!

Good Luck!

RW-1
24th Apr 2002, 20:03
Make sure that there will be a clear approach as well as a safe landing area. (People sometimes forget to check the approach.)

I'd only like to pop in with to be sure to also check your departure path as well from your areas.

As you land into the wind (hopefully) so would you like to be sure to take advantage of the best departure route, clear of obstacles and having a possible clear recovery spot should a problem arise.
(Ensure that you will have the power available as well, nothing like getting into a place and not getting out, though it sounds like this won't be an issue here.)

I'm sure everyone has their own, but my memonic is:

SWBATT

S - Suitability
W - Winds
B - Barriers
A - Approach
T - Touch Down (area)
T - Take Off (power avail and departure path)

Flying Lawyer
24th Apr 2002, 22:01
Now look here RW, just because you've got a shiny new CPL!! ..: D
Seriously, thanks for the correction/input. The departure advice got lost in my cut and paste of what was originally too long a post.

Tudor Owen

TeeS
24th Apr 2002, 22:16
To clarify a point that I think might be misunderstood from some of the comments above - rule 5 (i) c (which covers flight below 1500' over or in the vicinity of a built up area) applies to both twins and singles and whether you are flying past or taking off/landing.

Whirlybird
25th Apr 2002, 00:38
Another thing to bear in mind is that people are fascinated by helicopters. Make sure wedding guests etc can't do anything horrendous like run into the tail rotor when you land. It sounds obvious, but I've flown into what looked like quiet confined areas, and people appear from nowhere to see what's going on.

Hone22
25th Apr 2002, 01:18
As per whirly's observation,

Insure YOU!! talk with Bride/Groom & at least 2 of the Grooms big mates as to how close/far people are allowed to the chopper.

These 2 big mates are your ground crew give them VERY clear instruction as to their duty on the site (keeping people well clear of the a/c, no silly ******s wandering about).

Give the Bride a clear idea of the downwash and it's effect on both her do', veil, train & other guests hats etc if they get too close.

Will you be shutting down? if not a 3rd big mate should be clued up to watching for pilots "thumbs up" before approaching, best app path and how to open/close the a/c door without slamming the B'jeezus out of it.

Oh and the other thing.......Photographers! if a pro-shutterbug you will need to plan what shots he would like, particularly if the blades are still turning (whoops watch the brides do' ).

Have the 3 big mates keeping an eye out for the rele's/friends with cameras getting all excited and too close.

Don't let the bride/groom spill the Champers in the a/c. Very hard to explain when you return to base smelling like a brewery:D

Plan well, fly safe, have fun.............go to the reception later (when the ladies find out you were the pilot, you'll be fighting them off with a stick:D :D )

MaxNg
25th Apr 2002, 08:57
Rotorhorn

I have done many weddings with helicopters and if you follow the advice given it should be a safe and memorable day for all concearned.

You have approached this matter with a proffesional attitude and all that is left to do is fly it in the same manner.

Don't forget that it's the Brides day to show off and NOT your's

GOOD LUCK

RotorHorn
25th Apr 2002, 11:06
Thankyou ALL for those great contributions.

To allay some of your concerns:-

The pickup point will be a disused car park that the local council have agreed to us using. Its bounded by a golf course on one side, a lake on another, and the beach/sea on a third. (The groom had suggested the beach initially, but I pointed out the risks of us sinking if its too wet, or sandblasting the bride if its too dry!!).

I'll land there early and shut down; load the bride and groom after a brief safety chat; then chat with the photographer about the shots he wants, and finally depart probably over the beach. There won't be any other people at the pickup point.

The reception is at a hotel with a dedicated landing pad. Thanks for the tips about the wandering guests.. I'll have a word with the groom and hotel staff to make sure we have people on hand when we're landing. Again I'll shutdown first, then unload.

I plan to recce both sites from the ground in the next few weeks, and then fly a few practice approaches at both sites with my old instructor riding shotgun. If he's free, I may fork out £40 to get him to come for the ride along on the day as a 'safety pilot'. Two heads and all that...

Thanks once again. This is exactly why I signed up to this board. Lots of people who know more than me!!

I'll not let you all down!!

(At least not with the flying - if I'm in the paper, it'll be because of the messy divorce when Mrs.Horn finds out about the bridesmaids...:D )

Droopy
25th Apr 2002, 13:03
Rotorhorn; don't forget to advise the local police; they're bound to get calls from the public at your pickup point and if you've squared it all away beforehand your passengers won't be inconvenienced. If you're doing this in your home county you might like to email me to discuss it a bit further, perhaps I can help.

RW-1
25th Apr 2002, 17:02
FL, hehehe :)

Good pick up by Whirly, even we both forgot what non-flyers might do in the zone, let alone what they might do while the heli sits there between landing and taking off again.

Worst part of doing air show static displays when I had that unfortunate assignment was the FOD check to make prior to departure, you can find ALL sorts of FOD left if you look.

This is a great thread :D

Roofus
26th Apr 2002, 16:57
Congrats RotorHorn, your professionalism does you credit!

One thing I would add which I don't think has been touched upon yet....

I remember from somewhere that you had to inform three people aswell as the CAA.

Two have been mentioned! The Police & Landowner. The third is the Fire Brigade. I can't recall if 'Trumpton' are indeed a requirement but I'd suggest a courtesy call just so they know!

Happy Flying!

virgin
26th Apr 2002, 17:25
Roofus
I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondering whether you're saying you have to inform the Police and Fire Brigade if you are going into a private site. I can see it's good practice, but is it a legal requirement? eg Hotels?

Kissmy350
Where does your 50% contribution rule come from?
Not heard that one.

Rotorhorn
Please would you let us know what the CAA say in reponse to your questions.
They are very quick to prosecute pilots who make the slightest mistake, but have a reputation for never commiting themselve to a straight answer when they're asked a straight question.

Roofus
26th Apr 2002, 20:26
Virgin

Good point, well presented!

Short answer......dunno if it's a requirement or not!

It's certainly something I've heard somewhere! :D

I know an incident where I was called to the scene of just such a landing, as the duty police pilot, because no one knew it was happening & a lady phoned in a complaint!

As me old pappy used to say....'Manners maketh man & they cost nowt!' :)

Helinut
26th Apr 2002, 22:38
It probably is worth contacting the Police, if common sense suggests a complaint is likely. But just because you do advise one bobby or station does not mean they will all be aware.

I am pretty sure that it is not a legal requirement, except in cases where advising the police and or fire service is a condition of an exemption or permission.

MightyGem
27th Apr 2002, 13:04
Rotorhorn, your intention to try some practice approaches reminded me of when I (as a "what's Rule 5" military pilot) did my 206 refresher.

I'd just landed at a site out in the country and my instructor said how he would of flown a slightly different approach. As we departed I suggested that I had a go at his approach. He than pointed out that I was only allowed below 500' if I intended to land. Just doing the approach and then overshooting was technically illegal (not something that bothered us in the Army).

I'm sure your instructor will say the same, but just in case...

RotorHorn
29th Apr 2002, 09:45
MIghtyGem - Cheers for the pickup. When I said 'practice approaches' I should more correctly have said 'a few recce's and a practice landing or two(with the hotels consent)'. Good call though. Thanks.

Helinut, I've been given a contact for the Merseyside Air Support unit et al, will advise them with full intentions before the day. Its worth noting that its not unheard of for the 'helpful' public to report landings in private sites as 'crashes'.....:eek:

Virgin - will post the CAA repsonse in all its glory when it arrives. (Although currently my inbox has the wind howling through it, with tumbleweeds drifting across the subject line, and the distant clang of a bell echoing eerily....) ;)

Roofus - thanks for the compliment and the pointer about the fire brigade. Will give them a call as well.

MightyGem
30th Apr 2002, 01:21
Ah ha. Rotorhorn, the world is a small place. I also fly for Merseyside Air Support.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/3flypigs.gif

simonknightuk
30th Apr 2002, 11:27
Just another thought to add.

Insurance? How covered are you. My personal insurance dosent cove certain things and yours may not cover pseudo CPL activities. If anything goes wrong dont forget the nicest people are the first to start sueing.... cos obviously it was YOU and no-one else who screwed up...wasn't it... !!!!!!!

Good luck and keep the brides veil low!!!!!

Simon K

RotorHorn
30th Apr 2002, 11:58
Cheers for the thought Si.

I've pointed out to the groom that I am NOT being contracted to provide a service, I'm simply doing him a favour.

Since there's no service being supplied, and no contract to provide the service, I think its reasonable to say I can't be sued for a breach of the contract if the service fails to materialise (I've warned the groom to have plan B ready (a car) in case the Wx turns nasty, and I've also advised him that we can cancel the hire of the helicopter without penalty right up to the moment I pick up the machine).

Of course if something untoward happens during the course of this 'favour' (I land the 'copter on the limo, bride becomes airbourne as per recent story in the papers etc.) then I think at least the damages to the car will be covered by the third party liability included in the self-fly hire agreement. I do have personal liability insurance through my house insurance, but not sure if dropping helicopters on others property is a clause I remember seeing... ;)

Not an expert though, so worth checking out.

No doubt our learned PPRuNer, FlyingLawyer will set me straight on my assumptions in due course... (Thanks in advance T.O.)

(p.s. no reply from CAA yet)
(p.s. MightyGem - dropped you an email, but my ISP went tits-up mid-send. Let me know if you didn't get the email and I'll resend)

Arkroyal
1st May 2002, 08:15
RotorHorn

Well done for investigating this so thoroughly.

I'm obviously trying to teach the sucking of eggs, but whilst all the legal aspects have been addressed, please, please don't get carried away by the occasion.

A very good mate of mine agreed to deliver his sister to her wedding by helicopter, and managed to crash fatally in front of the groom and guests.

Sorry to put this in, but do go carefully.:eek:

RotorHorn
1st May 2002, 17:06
Thanks for the reality check Ark.

I think its sometimes easy to forget that if things go wrong it can quite easily turn into something you won't walk away from. After all, thats one hell of a meat slicer whizzing around your bonce...

Hence the pre-occupation with planning (6 P's and all that) - but not letting that preoccupation wander into the cockpit - get it all sorted before you get in the cockpit, and then you can concentrate on the flying.

Bottom line for the day is, Get in, get up, get down, dont **** up.

It should be a memorable day all round - I just want it to be for the right reasons!!

What is it they say about old bold pilots..... ;)

The Nr Fairy
2nd May 2002, 06:00
Ark :

Are you referring to the Bell 47 at Holbrook ?

RotorHorn
2nd May 2002, 10:04
sober reading either way... especially as Huw was my age and had a helluva lot more experience....

see News Report (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/navynews/editions/1999/03_08_99/story3.htm)

Draco
2nd May 2002, 10:38
Fatal accidents are bad enough, but a brother and sister on her wedding... that's a really tragic story. :(

Helinut
2nd May 2002, 11:03
This incident reminds me of another truly horrible accident, that it might just be worth reminding everyone about. A private owner of a small helicopter landed at his home. Got out while still rotors running (engine stopped), met his young daughter and while greeting her lifted her into the MR rotor disc with the inevitable result.

Eternal vigilance of your own behaviour is the lesson I try to remind myself.

I had a horror story near-miss of my own, while acting as a "safety" pilot for a private wedding flight. After landing but before engine shutdown, I had to more or less rugby tackle a video photographer to prevent him from walking into the tail rotor. If I hadn't been there I am sure that it would have been an awful accident.

I think I learnt two things from that one:

Be very concerned about helicopters rotors running on the ground in an uncontrolled environment. I'd rather be in the air any day.

Secondly, I no longer trust the PIC when asked to go along as a safety pilot. I check and double check even more thoroughly than if I was doing the flight myself.

Fr O'Blivien
2nd May 2002, 13:28
Presume we are talking UK here.

No requirement for notifying Police or Fire brigade. Lots of good advice above, but the mention of a nearby golf course rings big alarm bells.

Rule 5.1.c is an open catch all, and unusual, if not unique in UK law in that you can be prosecuted under it yet it has no definition, which is a nonsense in legal terms. However prosecuted people are for infringing the 1500' rule despite the rule being legally null and void. And a golf course is likely to fall into the definition of congested area as it is used for recreation, as might the lake too. The problem comes in assessing if your LS is actually in a congested area. The CAA very slyly refuse to define what constitutes a congested area, and if they dont define it you cant judge what it is, and so cant be prosecuted for it, geddit? Sadly, wrong.

It has been suggested that a circle of a certain diameter (size undefined) around your LS must be less than 50% congested, but this in not written, or even alluded to anywhere at all. Read, though, the definition of terrain that will constitute congested. I reckon it covers everything except open farmland and what the Americans would call wilderness.

Perhaps the answer if you are not certain you are OK is to apply to the CAA for an exemption frrom ule 5.1.c which would no doubt prompt a speedy decision to your original question too.

Good luck, I hope you get it done!

RotorHorn
2nd May 2002, 15:00
Thanks for the input Fr.

Judge for yourself if you like. See this aerial photo/map here (http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=europe&x=335500&y=418461&scale=25000&width=700&height=410&gride=332302&gridn=429526&rt=overlay.htm)

If you take the dark oval-shaped wooded area near the centre of the photograph as a reference point:-

the pick-up point is the white looking square (disused car park) at about 11 o'clock from the centre - which I'll approach from the beach.

The landing point is Meols Hall (about 3 o'clock from the centre) which I'll approach from the north east (both approaches subject to ground recce's this weekend).

I'll transit between the two by going north east and around the built up area rather than on a direct track straight across.

P.S. this is a good website for looking up landing sites if you're unfamiliar with an area. Just type in the post code for your required landing area/airport and hit the aerial photographs button. As can be seen above, you can also overlay the ordnance survey map over it to identify landmarks etc. I find it VERY handy.:)

Arkroyal
2nd May 2002, 15:30
Nr Fairy,

Yes that's the one.

RH

Thanks for posting that link, hadn't seen it before. I'm sorry I brought the morbid side of this up, but hope you have a great day.

The other points made remind me of a police flight I did. Landed at a sight near a grotty council estate, and although an observer got out as soon as we'd landed to fend off the locals, a kid was hanging off the tailskid before the rotors had stopped!

Helinut
2nd May 2002, 16:24
If the originator of this thread does not mind me hijacking it a bit, Fr O'Blivien's post about Rule 5.1.c is a hobby horse of mine. (By the way, unless you are flying as part of an AOC operation a 5.1.c exemption request is dealt with by the General Aviation section of SRG and not Flight Operations. I am told that you can wait weeks and weeks for a response - there might even be a charge but don't quote me on that).

Anyway, Fr O'B is quite right that the CAA have argued that a golf course may be part of a congested area. Bearing in mind the words in 5.1.c they argue that 2 or more houses together is a settlement. If such a settlement abuts or is contained within a golf course, then since a golf course is an area used for recreational purposes, therefore the golf course forms part of a congested area. If it does, you need a 5.1.c exemption to land on it. Maybe it does not even require there to be the adjoining settlement - the golf club and its clubhouse is enough?

If you think about what 5.1.c was presumably intended to achieve, it is presumably that the legislators thought it was wise to limit people flying "low" over built up areas that had lots of people around to be "put at risk" and annoyed by the noise. Set against this, the CAA suggested fairly literal interpretation of the words does not make much sense, because there are few, if any people either to be annoyed or put at risk on a golf course (most of the time anyway).

Landings at neighbourhood golf-courses are a favourite way of charter flights going to almost all towns, since the majority will have one or more golf courses. In the AOC world the CAA have pursued this one with AOC holders, the majority of whom have to request individual exemptions for any 5.1.c landing exemptions.(Some twin engine operators are granted self-authorising 5.1.c status).

As far as I am aware, most people seem to have taken the softly-softly approach and do most golf course landings without specific CAA 5.1.c exemptions. It has been suggested that the other approach would be to accept the CAA's interpretation and then bury them in 5.1.c exemption requests for almost every off-airfield landing except on farmland - I am not sure I favour such an approach because I would not like to predict the CAA's reaction.

What does anyone else think, or am I the only one that is bothered??

Arkroyal
2nd May 2002, 22:07
In any dealings with the Campaign Against Aviation, remember the first five words of the ANO

'An aircraft shall not fly.....':eek:

MightyGem
5th May 2002, 08:54
Rotor Horn, received your e-mail and have replied.

RotorHorn
8th May 2002, 14:26
We were discussing the LZ earlier in this thread.

Just to let you know I finally got to recce the landing site (disused part of a car park) over the bank holiday.

I'll not bother picking up from there.

It looks like a building site.

There's lose gravel and debris all over the ground. The concrete has broken away in several places. There are broken lamp standards scattered across the whole area of the car park, and there is a major road encircling the whole thing....

I'll revert to plan C - Woodvale aerodrome.

Anyone had experience of going in there? Someone mentioned that since its MOD controlled they want proof of a £10m indemnity insurance being in place before they let you in......

ShyTorque
8th May 2002, 15:57
With regard to the rule 5.1.c exemption; it costs around £80 for written permission as a one off! If you phone the SRG then fax them the details including a 50,000 showing the plot they will take about 3 or 4 days. Don't be tempted to go without the relevant piece of paper in your hand....

For landing at a UK military airfield, they require the insurance indenmity as mentioned. If you don't have it they get around it by charging an increased landing fee.

Either way, it's a licence for the CAA and the MOD to make easy money IMHO.

RotorHorn
15th May 2002, 14:32
Finally got a reply to the email I sent to the CAA which prompted this whole thread, i.e. is flying a groom and his (new) wife to their reception on a cost-sharing basis legal under the terms of my PPL(H).

The official reply (by phone and confirmed by email) is:-

....wait for it...

"The PPL(Helicopter) Flight you intend to take with the Bride and Groom will
be ok providing Article 130, Section 8, of the Air Navigation Order are not
breached.".

Well we knew that! :rolleyes: I actually wanted the CAA to TELL me that given the facts, I WAS complying with the article in question BEFORE I made the flight... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Another demonstration of being able to give an answer without actually giving an answer I suppose.

Anyway, rest assured, if legal proceedings do occur I'll be printing this thread (and all my preparation notes) as evidence!!!:D

Barannfin
15th May 2002, 23:17
Hey best of luck during, and after the flight. I hope everything goes smoothly.

WestWind1950
18th May 2002, 08:09
in Germany this flight would have required an application from the pilot to the respopnsible aviation authorities, as Rotor Horn has done, then the written permission of the ground owners and the city authorities (police, etc.) and would not have been possible unless the local aviation authorities visited the intended sites and approved them. Not only the condition of the sites involved are important, but also noise situations and other problems (hospital near-by, horse stables, congested housing, etc.???). When he's lucky he then recieves a permission which includes a list of things to observe, including rescue equipment and helpers required on the ground, together with a fee ;) the reason behind all this is simple: if any pilot was allowed to just fly around and land where he wants, when he wants, then why bother getting a CHPL? And there are many pilots out there that wouldn't be so thorough as Rotor Horn!
The German authorities I work together with ask for at least 4 weeks notice during high season and actually try their best to make things work out if only one weeks notice is possible, depending on the description of the site involved and if a visit from the authorities is definitly necessary (sports fields are often accepted sight un-seen).
As soon as crowds are involved the authorities get stricter...which I think is not a bad thing!

in the end, the weather might spoil everything!! hope for you that things work out!!

keep flying!

WestWind1950

Heliport
18th May 2002, 08:58
Westwind
Apologies for asking you to confirm, but I'm having difficulty taking that in.
Are you really saying that in Germany private pilots have to go through all that process if they want to land anywhere other than at an airport?

WestWind1950
18th May 2002, 12:38
Heliport

that's exactly what I'm saying...professional commercial pilots can receive a socalled "General Permission for Landing and Taking Off Outside of authorised heliports" (ruffly translated)....this permits them to land outside of official fields if the spot is good enough and the owner gives permission. This is to enable them to do their commercial business. A privat pilot, with or without CHPL, cannot recieve this permisssion paper and thus cannot do so without an individual permission! And without a CHPL it is usually NOT given.... guess the authorities consider him (or her) not qualified enough...

Keep rotating!
WestWind

MightyGem
15th Jun 2002, 20:48
So, Rotorhorn. Recieved your "notam" from our control room. So how was the big day? Weather seemed OK. Didn't make the blushing bride sick did you? Debrief please
:D

RotorHorn
17th Jun 2002, 09:38
MG, boys and girls.

Just to let you know the wedding flight went without a hitch following your collective advice (which included issuing MightyGem's 'NOTAM'). Although I did have to miss the England/Denmark game :(

Picked up the rather splendid bride - a blonde leggy german (oh and and the groom) at the airbase and briefed them on safety procedures etc. before departing up the coast for the reception (about 3nm away).

As we arrived overhead the hall, all the guests were out on a path away from the LZ (as requested by me) awaiting our arrival. I did a figure 8 orbit overhead so both bride and groom could take pictures and then landed after a short circuit. LZ was away from the crowd - but they could still see us.

I then hover taxi'd a bit closer (but not too close!) to where we were going to set down. I did a spot turn to one side first so the bride was closest to all the shutter-bugs and they could get some snaps.

This was an attempt on my part to put them off charging the helicopter with their cameras as soon as the skids hit the ground....

Skids touched down.

Crowd --CHARGE!!! SNAP SNAP SNAP.

My vain attempts with hand signals to get them to stand back failed, but I'd talked my brother into coming to ride shot gun with me (he's ATPL(h)/FE) for just such a contingency - he bailed out and herded them back to a safe distance.

Shut down. Bride and groom egressed. Throng swarmed around the helicopter. After brief chats with enebriated guests, we departed back to Blackpool , job well done.

Things I learned...

1. two heads are better than one. Good to have someone else up front to calm the pax and answer questions leaving you to cope with the flying.

2. Crowds are Stupid. Individuals are usually ok, but never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. Even after briefing ushers and Hotel staff on keeping people back, it all went out the window as soon as we landed. Again, good to have someone else up front to intercept them.

3. Five year olds think the tail stinger is a climbing frame - as per an earlier post, had to keep the little ******s off it all the time we were on the ground.

4. make sure you remind the groom before he gets to the reception that your at a lose end for the evening and an invite to the evening festivites (read 'bridesmaids') would be accepted glady. Otherwise you'll be back home watching casualty with the missus by tea time.... :(

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Couldn't have done it without you all.

Heliport
17th Jun 2002, 13:35
RotorHorn
Thanks for the debrief.
Pleased to hear it all went so well, and that the advice you got from the professional pilots and experienced PPLs on the forum was a help. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

All part of belonging to Rotorheads, the best helicopter forum in the world! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/roundeyes.gif

Flying Lawyer
17th Jun 2002, 13:50
Oh Well .......... No work for me out of that flight then. :( http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/winker.gif

Seriously though, it just goes to show it pays to plan thoroughly
AND check the relevant Rules and Regs. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/deal.gif

Agaricus bisporus
18th Jun 2002, 03:06
Thank God we don't live in Germany! What's the point of having a helicopter there in the first place? Control freakery gone mad!

Makes you think the Counter Aviation Authority may not be so bad after all!

Rotorhorn, sounds like a good job well done.

Bravo Zulu.

Irlandés
18th Jun 2002, 11:17
I know this is after the fact (this time) but an added (in hindsight obvious) hazard about golf courses... I can't remember exactly but I think it was a British Army Gazelle somewhere near the border in Northern Ireland. The pilot was flying over a golf course when a golf ball came in through the open door and rather unfortunately broke his wrist. Can't remember any of the details other than that he managed to land safely! :) There's danger everywhere!!

And the newspaper cutting the next day?

"Ian Paisley condemns new IRA ground-to-air missile attack on British Army helicopter!!" Ha ha!! :D

Irlandés

P.S. Very good thread Rotorhorn! Now I know why I stay up all night trawling this forum for good advice!

Steve76
18th Jun 2002, 12:18
Rotorhorn,

Mate.... After you told the CAA, Police, Landowners and the Fire Brigade, make sure you tell the local ambo service, ATC, the local military boys, NASA and MI5.

Seriously, the last people who want to know about this is the CAA. If you are not doing it for hire or reward, then whats the problem. Sorry to sound bullish and antiestablishment (thats a big word after night shift...)
Next time just get your mate to slip you some coin for the hire later and keep it between yourselves.
The most important thing to do is have your landing permission on the beach, carpark and wedding site organised and as you found out a plan to deal with the idiots.
Onya
:D