PDA

View Full Version : 300 Airbus ordered within 3 days.

KAG
18th Mar 2013, 02:40
Friday: PARIS, March 15 (Xinhua) -- Turkish Airlines signed a contract for up to 117 A320 Family aircraft, the aircraft manufacturer Airbus announced Friday in a statement.

Monday: PARIS: European aerospace giant Airbus will sign Monday what would mark one of its biggest orders ever from Indonesia's Lion Air for more than 200 A320 medium-haul jets, business daily Les Echos reported.

The deal is expected to be worth more than $20 billion (15.3 billion euros) with a standard A320 model priced at $91.5 million. Its newer and more fuel-efficient NEO plane has a price tag of more than $100 million.

French President Francois Hollande's office said that he would host the chief executive of Airbus to celebrate the signing of "a major industrial agreement," but both the plane maker and the French presidency declined further comment.

Basically 317 Airplanes ordered the last 3 days.

akerosid
18th Mar 2013, 03:22
If you want to go back, just a few days, to the 14th, Lufthansa ordered 35 A320NEOs, 35 A321NEOs and 30 of the current A320 models, so that's over 400 A32Xs in total ... not a bad week at all!

The Lion Air order is particularly significant, in that Lion is currently a large customer for the 737-NG, with dozens of 737-800/900ERs in operation or on order - a significant rejection of the 737Max.

KAG
18th Mar 2013, 05:30
Well, that's 400 airplanes ordered in one week then...

ian16th
18th Mar 2013, 11:48
If someone else want to order, what delivery date will be quoted?

TSR2
18th Mar 2013, 14:37
If someone else want to order, what delivery date will be quoted?

May just be a factor in EZY's decision.

theloudone
18th Mar 2013, 19:15
Plus a very good product, easy decision.

no sponsor
19th Mar 2013, 07:07
I wonder how long it will be until Boeing ditch the Max and decide to build a modern narrow body. From a pax point of view the 737 has low headroom, and feels claustrophobic. It can't take pallets (that's most modern airports), it is a totally unappealing and tiring place to sit and work - no room for your stuff, manuals and paperwork are stuffed into inaccessible areas of the flight deck. A generally out-dated design.

Aero Mad
19th Mar 2013, 08:26
The Lion Air order is particularly significant, in that Lion is currently a large customer for the 737-NG, with dozens of 737-800/900ERs in operation or on order - a significant rejection of the 737Max.

I wonder how long it will be until Boeing ditch the Max

I would add that Lion Air has already ordered 201 737 MAXs with options for 150 more. Overall, the aircraft has 1180 orders. Even if several carriers drop out (as they always do and are likely to), this is still a fairly healthy orderbook. I agree in principle that the design is outdated but Boeing won't care if the orders are flowing in.

Aeromexico and GOL have ordered 60 each, United wants 100, American wants 100, Norwegian wants 100 and Southwest wants 150. So I think it will be a while until they pull the plug on the MAX programme considering its success relative even to the 747-8.

LNIDA
19th Mar 2013, 17:41
Both aircraft have merit yes the Boeing is an aged design but there is little to pick between then from a passengers point of view, the "sky interior" fitted to most new NG's gives an impression of much more space, yes there less room in the flight deck but more companies are switching to EFB so need less space.

I think both types will be around for many years to come, the gains that an all new 737 would provide over the NG/MAX make it hard to justify the investment.

116d
22nd Mar 2013, 22:36
I wonder how long it will be until Boeing ditch the Max and decide to build a modern narrow body. From a pax point of view the 737 has low headroom, and feels claustrophobic. It can't take pallets (that's most modern airports), it is a totally unappealing and tiring place to sit and work - no room for your stuff, manuals and paperwork are stuffed into inaccessible areas of the flight deck. A generally out-dated design.

I must admit from a passenger perspective I prefer the A320 Family over the 737s. Space is the big factor as you say, width for one (it's not a lot but I've noticed the difference) but also being 6ft tall the front lavatory on a 737 isn't great as once the door is shut I have to bend my neck to get my head down - I put that down to how the fuselage narrows around the cockpit area whereas the Airbuses don't have that problem.

If there's one big improvement on the 737NGs over the 737 Classics, it would be noise insulation from the engines. If I've got my iPod on and I'm on a Classic I have to turn the volume up quite high to cancel out the noise yet when I've been on an NG I've not had to put the volume up as much.

Both aircraft have merit yes the Boeing is an aged design but there is little to pick between then from a passengers point of view, the "sky interior" fitted to most new NG's gives an impression of much more space, yes there less room in the flight deck but more companies are switching to EFB so need less space.

I think both types will be around for many years to come, the gains that an all new 737 would provide over the NG/MAX make it hard to justify the investment.

I agree with you. Boeing probably won't care about how old the basic design of the 737 is for as long as it sells, though I can't help but think whether they've missed an opportunity for this generation to introduce a clean sheet design that has the potential to change the game as far as the narrowbody market is concerned, as well as coming up with something that could also be a true 757 replacement at the top end of the market.

NWSRG
23rd Mar 2013, 01:22
My understanding was that Boeing were ready to launch the New Small Airplane, but could not crack the technology needed to cold-cure carbon fibre. The MAX was a fallback. So Boeing didn't prefer to stick with the 737, but pragmatism dictated it. I expect the to launch a new narrow body as soon as the cold-cure technology is proven.
Saying all that, the MAX is a good aircraft...a much more modern wing than the A320, a revised interior, new glass cockpit, and same generation engines as NEO. So the airlines will still buy it.